• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Brandon Newman

Started by tiny707, April 07, 2023, 11:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

Sign him now. Great NIL opportunities for him at VU.

covufan

Quote from: tiny707 on April 07, 2023, 11:41:47 AM
Sign him now. Great NIL opportunities for him at VU.
Tiny, you have wayyyy too much free time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VULB#62

I posted this in transfers as well.

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 08, 2023, 08:46:25 AM
Brandon Newman. (FWIW, According to SBNation  Hammer & Nails Twitter account)

Graduate transfer. [Seems like 1 year of eligibility left, but could be two with covid year??]

6'5", 175 lbs. 

Junior year stats:  6.0 ppg, 3.1 RPG, 1.1 APG

NIL Value: $21K

Summary of H&N Assessment: Characterized as a player who had a very good freshman season but in subsequent seasons played with lots of unfulfilled potential and had a difficult time meeting high expectations.

Wasn't the turning point in Homer's career and VU's basketball's fortunes when Redmon and Schmidt transferred back home to Valparaiso back in 93-94? Could this be a selling point to Brandon?  Right now, his stats are better than anyone currently on the roster even though he wasn't a Purdue starter the last two seasons.

Valpo89

If Roger could convince Brandon to "come home," it would be a program-transforming recruit. If he helped lead a return to prominence, it would easily be on par with David Redmon and Casey Schmidt returning home which triggered Valpo's original rise to prominence.

tiny707

Hire Brandon's high school coach. Knows the region and coaches in the state.

wh

Just because Brandon wasn't able to crack the 8-player rotation at No1 Purdue doesn't mean he didn't fulfill his full potential. There are likely many key contributors at other major programs who would find themselves playing lesser roles at Purdue. I could easily picture him as a top 10 player in the MVC and having an immediate impact on Valpo's program.

tiny707

Looks like Brandon had NIL deals with Pepsi, Real Estate company and t-shirts. We should be able to match that. Not sure if there is a Pepsi distributor in The Region?

NotBryceDrew

Valpo uses Pepsi products so it's a possibility

vok22

Quote from: tiny707 on April 08, 2023, 10:40:39 AM
Hire Brandon's high school coach. Knows the region and coaches in the state.

Absolutely not.

tiny707

Hire Sasha for a grad assistant position. Knows the region and Brandon.

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on April 09, 2023, 08:04:24 PM

Sasha lives in the Ramsgate subdivision in the south part of rural Crown Point. East of Cedar Lake on Jennings Lane. I happen to do business with his next door neighbor.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusader05

I believe Sasha has already signed a European contract to play if I'm not mistaken.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: crusader05 on April 10, 2023, 07:24:08 AM
I believe Sasha has already signed a European contract to play if I'm not mistaken.

Sasha retired from basketball a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what his plans are, but I believe he finished with a bachelor's and master's degree from Purdue.

historyman

Quote from: historyman on April 10, 2023, 12:13:45 AM
Quote from: tiny707 on April 09, 2023, 08:04:24 PM

Sasha lives in the Ramsgate subdivision in the south part of rural Crown Point. East of Cedar Lake on Jennings Lane. I happen to do business with his next door neighbor.

Ok, was told Sasha hasn't been seen at his possibly former residence in south Crown Point since his graduation from Purdue.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusader05

Looks like I was wrong about Sasha going pro, but he did retweet Valpo's announcement about hiring Powell

Chairback

I'd be shocked if Newman doesn't end up at ND.  Micah Shrewsberry recruited him to Purdue and they are close.   

VU2014

I honestly wonder on Valpo's chances here. If he's willing to entertain mid-majors if Valpo can aid with local NIL businesses willing to sponsor him. He'd be one of the most consequential recruiting signing in a very long time for Valpo.

But ultimately I think he lands at ND...

historyman

Quote from: VU2014 on April 10, 2023, 08:51:40 PM
I honestly wonder on Valpo's chances here. If he's willing to entertain mid-majors if Valpo can aid with local NIL businesses willing to sponsor him. He'd be one of the most consequential recruiting signing in a very long time for Valpo.

He's not really an Indiana kid. His father worked for the Chicago police department and moved to Valpo to be safer.

My guess would be that he ends up at DePaul or Northwestern with a small possibility of UIC.

VU2014

Quote from: historyman on April 10, 2023, 11:32:19 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on April 10, 2023, 08:51:40 PM

He's not really an Indiana kid. His father worked for the Chicago police department and moved to Valpo to be safer.

My guess would be that he ends up at DePaul or Northwestern with a small possibility of UIC.

I would definitely qualify Brandon as a hometown kid. He has roots here. It may not be his whole life but that's not important. He's one of Valparaiso's very own.

Valpo89

Brandon attended TJ Middle School, and was a star in football and basketball. He IS a hometown kid, come on.

historyman

Quote from: Valpo89 on April 11, 2023, 09:20:36 AM
Brandon attended TJ Middle School, and was a star in football and basketball. He IS a hometown kid, come on.

I did too since 9 years of age but I do have some loyalties to other places.

elephtheria47

He went to FL for prep school and came back to Valpo for family reasons. Valpo is home. That doesn't mean he will come here, but knock off the shenanigans.

tiny707

Valpo Velvet could do a NIL deal and create a flavor: Brandon Neuman Brown and Gold(Brownie Nut Fudge and Lemon Custard). Having an in store signing day when you buy a quart. Yum.

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on April 16, 2023, 05:49:42 PM
Valpo Velvet could do a NIL deal and create a flavor: Brandon Neuman Brown and Gold(Brownie Nut Fudge and Lemon Custard). Having an in store signing day when you buy a quart. Yum.

I graduated HS with Mike Brown and my brother with Mark Brown. They have done well with the ice cream business but I don't know for sure if Mike & Mark are in a position for this. You might assume they are doing that well but Mike & Mark and Mike's wife Cathy (nee Brown, Cathy Brown Brown) all have to pay their own salaries and many others from this business.

tiny707

Good to know historyman. I buy the product at Woodman's. Good stuff. Hell, just pay him a royalty. The more it sells the more he makes. Get stocked
at The Union.  Guess Valpo Velvet naming rights is out of the question..lol.