• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

JUCO Recruit

Started by Just Sayin, April 19, 2023, 12:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

wh

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 19, 2023, 12:14:57 AM
Received offer from Valpo.
https://www.loganvols.com/sports/mbkb/2022-23/players/isaiahstaffordxr8f

This about his head coach, Tyler Smithpeters:

A native of Harrisburg (IL), Smithpeters led his team to a state title and a 33-1 record in 2013. He went on to play four years at Southern Illinois University, where he was named the Missouri Valley Conference Sixth Man of the Year and MVC All-Bench Team Captain in 2018.

https://www.loganvols.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/SmithPeters_Tyler?view=bio

Didn't Roger say he was going to bring in an assistant that had past experience in the MVC? And, didn't Roger say his assistants would be bringing players with them? Might we now know who one of our new assistants is?

Harrisburg (/ˈhærɪsbɜːrɡ, ˈhɛərz-/) is a city in and the county seat of Saline County, Illinois, United States.[2] It is located about 57 miles (92 kilometers) southwest of Evansville, Indiana, and 111 mi (179 km) southeast of St. Louis, Missouri. Its 2020 population was 8,219, and the surrounding Harrisburg Township had a population of 10,037, including the city residents. Harrisburg is included in the Illinois–Indiana–Kentucky tri-state area...

cornonthe

Quote from: wh on April 19, 2023, 02:21:21 AM

A native of Harrisburg (IL), Smithpeters led his team to a state title and a 33-1 record in 2013. He went on to play four years at Southern Illinois University, where he was named the Missouri Valley Conference Sixth Man of the Year and MVC All-Bench Team Captain in 2018.

Didn't Roger say he was going to bring in an assistant that had past experience in the MVC? And, didn't Roger say his assistants would be bringing players with them? Might we now know who one of our new assistants is?

Harrisburg (/ˈhærɪsbɜːrɡ, ˈhɛərz-/) is a city in and the county seat of Saline County, Illinois, United States.[2] It is located about 57 miles (92 kilometers) southwest of Evansville, Indiana, and 111 mi (179 km) southeast of St. Louis, Missouri. Its 2020 population was 8,219, and the surrounding Harrisburg Township had a population of 10,037, including the city residents. Harrisburg is included in the Illinois–Indiana–Kentucky tri-state area...

It's funny, I was going to post this earlier, my moms friend who is the source I use who is very reliable said that it was his brother that was coming in to be an assistant (associate head coach), he was the prior head coach at this community college and who is now an assistant at Missouri. I guess we'll know soon enough...

cornonthe

Quote from: cornonthe on April 19, 2023, 05:21:40 AM

It's funny, I was going to post this earlier, my moms friend who is the source I use who is very reliable said that it was his brother that was coming in to be an assistant (associate head coach), he was the prior head coach at this community college and who is now an assistant at Missouri. I guess we'll know soon enough...

Kyle Smithpeters is his name...interestingly, Darien Walker transferred here from that community college...also, there really may be something to either one of the brothers (or both) as we may be linked to the Missouri big man, Diarra...getting exciting!!!

wh

Tyler Smithpeters is the latest within his family to prove he can coach
JOHN D. HOMAN The Southern Dec 23, 2022 Updated Jan 27, 2023

https://thesouthern.com/sports/tyler-smithpeters-is-the-latest-within-his-family-to-prove-he-can-coach/article_14600319-f164-5429-a5b2-0f717c998ac6.html

The rest of the story;

"John A. Logan pulled it out to hoist their first National Championship trophy in school history."

tjjvalpo

A former head coach from a JUCO college would be brilliant. He has players just for two years and has to get them to gel quickly to be successful. Doesn't that sound like D1 basketball in the new world of NIL and the transfer portal?

tiny707

Probably can afford him. Made 56K in 2020. Brother left for Mizzou assistant job at 150k a year ago.

valpo64

I wonder if the "new" approach to battling the transfer portal situation with the big schools will be stepped up activity at the JUCO level.

wh

Quote from: tiny707 on April 19, 2023, 07:11:40 AM
Probably can afford him. Made 56K in 2020. Brother left for Mizzou assistant job at 150k a year ago.

Older brother Kyle would completely check all the boxes that Roger discussed:
• multiple successful years as head coach
• direct connection to MVC as a former asst. at MIssouri State
• outstanding recruiter in the MVC footprint

The question is would he leave missouri for Valpo? He might see a successful stint at Valpo as a faster track to becoming a head coach. Is he affordable? Probably.

historyman

Quote from: cornonthe on April 19, 2023, 05:21:40 AM

John A. Logan is a community college in Carterville, IL (between Marion, IL and Carbondale on Hwy 13 in Southern Illinois). I worked with a few graduates of JALCO in my business. Other than thinking like this

were "pretty" good employees.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Also, do we really want a former Harrisburg (IL) BullDOG on our Crusader Beacon roster? Is our program going completely to the dogs?

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Also some of you might remember a former Valpo U broadcaster on WLJE (I believe he did Valpo High games too) by the name of Dave Bard in the 1970's. Dave was a Southern Illinois native that did Harrisburg, IL Bulldog sports after he left Valpo. I saw him in Mount Vernon, IL much later doing a Harrisburg at Mount Vernon Rams basketball game. He looked at me and I looked at him and we both kind of said "don't I know you from somewhere?" He knew my relative better than me but I think he recognized the resemblance.

historyman

A very typical thing on a Southern Illinois team's roster. The Harrisburg Bulldogs had 3 players by the same name on their roster and one of the triplets (just kidding) was one inch taller than the other two.

Harrisburg High School Boys Varsity Basketball Winter 2020-2021 Team Roster (hhsbulldognation.com)

4          Anthony Keene       G         2024     5'11"

44        Anthony Keene       G         2024     5'10"

11        Anthony Keene       G         2024     5'10"

I think they forgot they were lying about his height.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on April 23, 2023, 01:57:59 AM

[tweet]1649070617965076480[/tweet]?s=20
That's not Stafford, wh. That is James Dent who committed to W. Illinois. Stafford is still uncommitted.

covufan

Quote from: historyman on April 22, 2023, 10:42:51 PM
A very typical thing on a Southern Illinois team's roster. The Harrisburg Bulldogs had 3 players by the same name on their roster and one of the triplets (just kidding) was one inch taller than the other two.

Harrisburg High School Boys Varsity Basketball Winter 2020-2021 Team Roster (hhsbulldognation.com)

4          Anthony Keene       G         2024     5'11"

44        Anthony Keene       G         2024     5'10"

11        Anthony Keene       G         2024     5'10"

I think they forgot they were lying about his height.
I'm sure it was the weight of the extra numeral on jersey that shrunk him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpopal on April 23, 2023, 06:43:55 AM
Quote from: wh on April 23, 2023, 01:57:59 AM

[tweet]1649070617965076480[/tweet]?s=20
That's not Stafford, wh. That is James Dent who committed to W. Illinois. Stafford is still uncommitted.

Since Isaiah Stafford received his offer on April 19, the date of my OP, I'm guessing this might be the first offer under Powell. If there were any more offers made, it typically becomes known immediately via the player on Twitter. That we haven't heard from anyone else is a wee bit concerning. However, Powell seems to shrug off pressure to act hastily. His faith seems to drive him and he's mentioned he's always been successful when he has waited and made the right and prayerful decision. Good for him.

vok22

It is a little bit concerning that we haven't heard anything as far as transfers go, but I think it is just the way they are choosing to operate. I highly doubt they are just sitting around not offering anybody, so I think that maybe they just like to act in the shadows and do stuff behind the scenes until they have a core they like and then announce it all at once.

vok22

Or maybe they have a few guys lined up to commit contingent on maybe other people coming with them and once they all agree, they'll all commit at once.

tiny707

Vok22 that is exactly what I hope happens. Great for team chemistry and hopefully familiar with some of the coaches. I trust The Rev.

vok22

tiny707

I believe he was at the High School All American Showcase in Atlanta. Ages 13-19.

wh

"The HoopSeen Atlanta Jam is the proven event to take your independent travel team to during the first NCAA live period.

Frequented by 250+ team annually and tons of college coaches, you will not want to miss your chance to showcase your players on this proven platform"

https://hoopseen.com/georgia/events/2023/04-21-atlanta-jam

historyman

Evaluation Session one in the books!  Back to Valpo to get in the gym with the Fantastic Four! #BeaconUp #SeeTheLight  3:20

Beacon up?

Doesn't that sound a bit like Dale Carlson?

Oh, well.