• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Maui Invitational

Started by Just Sayin, August 11, 2023, 11:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David81

Well, to bring it back to the Maui Invitational...and the Lahaina Civic Center.

The wildfires on Maui bring great sadness, as my mom's side of the family is from Maui, and her ashes are scattered at a location with many memories of her childhood. Two of my cousins still live there, and though fortunately their homes survived, many of their friends pretty much lost everything. It is a devastating situation on so many levels and will forever change life on the island.

The last time I checked, the Lahaina Civic Center has survived, even as most of the buildings around it have not. So maybe the Maui Invitational returns there and serves as a symbol of the island's recovery. The tournament website opens with a notice that they are monitoring the situation in terms of the recovery work being done, with decisions to be made later.

In the meantime, I have been heartened by the spontaneous efforts of people on Maui to deliver food, clothing, shelter, and financial assistance to those who have been displaced, even as more bureaucratically layered non-profit and governmental assistance took time to materialize.

Yes, some looting and (already) land speculating have also appeared on the scene, but it appears that a lot of folks are rallying to be of help. Along with the luxury hotels, fancy trappings, and billionaire estates on the island, most people who live on Maui do so modestly and live rather simply. These make up the heart of the people who are stepping up, and it reminds me why Maui is so special to me.

valpo04

Let the clean up of this thread (and profile signature) serve as a blanket reminder and warning: zero politics on this site.

Any future political content will result in suspensions and bans.

justducky

Quote from: valpo04 on August 15, 2023, 12:33:00 PM
Let the clean up of this thread (and profile signature) serve as a blanket reminder and warning: zero politics on this site.

Any future political content will result in suspensions and bans.

I don't think I've ever thanked anyone for deleting one of my posts but there is a first time for everything!  :thumbsup:

valpotx

Sad to see what happened in Lahaina.  One of my favorite memories growing up was when we went there for Thanksgiving break during my SO year of HS, and then finding out that the Maui Invitational was going on at the same time, with our hotel providing us free tickets.  Kansas was staying in our hotel, so we got to see Raef LaFrentz, Paul Pierce, Jacques Vaughn, and Scott Pollard at the pool.  Cal was in that tournament, as well, which included future NFL All-Pro Tony Gonzalez.  Very intimate venue and very cool experience:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Maui_Invitational#References
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on August 17, 2023, 03:45:47 AM
Sad to see what happened in Lahaina.  One of my favorite memories growing up was when we went there for Thanksgiving break during my SO year of HS, and then finding out that the Maui Invitational was going on at the same time, with our hotel providing us free tickets.  Kansas was staying in our hotel, so we got to see Raef LaFrentz, Paul Pierce, Jacques Vaughn, and Scott Pollard at the pool.  Cal was in that tournament, as well, which included future NFL All-Pro Tony Gonzalez.  Very intimate venue and very cool experience:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Maui_Invitational#References

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk