• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2023/2024 starting five?

Started by tiny707, September 25, 2023, 11:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

Who do you have starting after hearing Coach Powell on The Victory Bell podcast? I am thinking:

1.) G Jaxon Edwards.
2.) G Sherman Weatherspoon IV.
3.) F Lucas Scroggins.
4.) F Cooper Schwieger.
5.) G Isiah Stafford.

JD24

3 pure freshman including 2 front court players who are likely to be, at this point, undeveloped physically

1 player who's logged 29 entire minutes at a good Div I program along with JUCO player making the transition to Div I.

I'm not saying this isn't the best choice for a lineup and that is exactly what makes it scary.

I'll guess that Palm is in there at the beginning of the season simply to avoid playing the two freshman up front at least until Palm plays himself out of the situation or proves that he belongs in there.

tiny707

Yeah, Palm may be a starter. We will see. Definitely going to need him against Brodie at Drake. Those three freshmen did all spend a year at prep school but may be best we have to start. I don't see Connor or Darius starting. Should be interesting to see what Coach does. I think he goes with best players whether they are freshmen or not. Matt would have made them wait even if they were better.

vu72

I'm guessing Palm, Connor and Darius all start.  But the second wave will be, in the long run, will be the more productive.  As for Brodie, the style of play, that being run and gun, will probably keep him off the court.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

AB

Different line up game to game early in the season

tiny707

If Palm, Connor and Darius all start then I think the other two would be Isaiah and Jaxon. May be a completely different starting five end of season...

wh

We are at the beginning of a complete program rebuild. Despite everyone's best effort, I can imagine a lot of growing pains. More than ever before, I think we need to show patience and understanding, remembering that very young people are going to be thrown into roles that they may not necessarily be ready for.

As to the hypothetical "I'll be happy if...," I'll be happy if we make progress as a program (whatever that means). I'm also going to try to remember that the opposite of "happy" doesn't have to be "unhappy." I hope to leave room for grace.

David81

I bow to those of you who have deeper knowledge of how these players compare to predict the starting 5, but I'll bet a Greek's pizza that the starting 5 at season's end will look much different, somewhere between 3-5 positions.

Coach Powell was very respectful toward, and upbeat about, the returning and more senior players during his podcast episode with Paul, but he seemed especially enthused about the younger players with multiple seasons of eligibility remaining.

historyman

Quote from: David81 on September 28, 2023, 10:50:35 PMI'll bet a Greek's pizza that the starting 5 at season's end will look much different, somewhere between 3-5 positions.

Uncle Menny's Original Greek's Pizzeria menu

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJwNyEEOQDAQAMC48olexNFumqX1BL8oXU2pkiLB65nj5EXtajwn2waaIetKuJVC1AZMg60FmmQHN1o9SBq0spqY5NhXVxwDi5VjfKpDbMk7H00QLjEvf-z-fTl58wHuGR1E&q=uncle+menny%27s+original+greek%27s+pizzeria&oq=Uncle+Menny&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqFQgAEC4YFBivARjHARiHAhi6AhiABDIVCAAQLhgUGK8BGMcBGIcCGLoCGIAEMg8IARAAGBQYhwIY4wIYgAQyBggCEEUYOTIGCAMQRRg8MgYIBBBFGDwyCAgFEAAYFhgeMggIBhAAGBYYHjIICAcQABgWGB4yCggIEAAYhgMYigUyCggJEAAYhgMYigXSAQg3NDI2ajBqN6gCALACAA&client=ms-android-verizon-us-rvc3&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

An extra large starting at $26.00?

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJwNyEEOQDAQAMC48olexNFumqX1BL8oXU2pkiLB65nj5EXtajwn2waaIetKuJVC1AZMg60FmmQHN1o9SBq0spqY5NhXVxwDi5VjfKpDbMk7H00QLjEvf-z-fTl58wHuGR1E&q=uncle+menny%27s+original+greek%27s+pizzeria+menu&oq=Uncle+Menny&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqFQgAEC4YFBivARjHARiHAhi6AhiABDIVCAAQLhgUGK8BGMcBGIcCGLoCGIAEMg8IARAAGBQYhwIY4wIYgAQyBggCEEUYOTIGCAMQRRg8MgYIBBBFGDwyCAgFEAAYFhgeMggIBhAAGBYYHjIICAcQABgWGB4yCggIEAAYhgMYigUyCggJEAAYhgMYigXSAQg3NDI2ajBqN6gCALACAA&client=ms-android-verizon-us-rvc3&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&si=ALGXSlaUDQ5ut3KUEHmKovzq6D8P8nzC9Nggw1kU3L0fn4Jq8qdh4tBwYAP9CoqAwAQMvr1hZJWCWT9XnsCcE9bU9nUs6BYjrnBHh8GHoFxUatvazr6CJLyluXkQAbZ1arSaWQFwXutCPPiJfTuyblzfnSic5NZdIBvaJBbdt9qGjWl3kKKiX0s%3D&ictx=1&ved=2ahUKEwiFtZr3z-SBAxVrmYkEHe1OCgIQyNoBKAF6BAgXEAg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipO_j-eu_T27FwyniKG-fhGJilS5Eh4u8ggDeZpU=s1524-w776-h1524
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

Quote from: David81 on September 28, 2023, 10:50:35 PM
I bow to those of you who have deeper knowledge of how these players compare to predict the starting 5, but I'll bet a Greek's pizza that the starting 5 at season's end will look much different, somewhere between 3-5 positions.

Coach Powell was very respectful toward, and upbeat about, the returning and more senior players during his podcast episode with Paul, but he seemed especially enthused about the younger players with multiple seasons of eligibility remaining.
This reminds me of a quote I attribute to Bryce Drew something like "I'm less worried about the starting five, I'm trying to figure out the five that finish games"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjjvalpo

First look at 23/24 players this morning at the ARC at 10:30. So excited to be here!

VULB#62

What's the turnout?  Hope it's more than a handful.  A couple hundred would be nice.

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 14, 2023, 11:21:04 AM
What's the turnout?  Hope it's more than a handful.  A couple hundred would be nice.

My brother says 75 to 100.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUBBFan

Quote from: historyman on October 14, 2023, 11:42:10 AMRe: 2023/2024 starting five? « Reply #12 on: Today at 11:42:10 AM » Quote (selected) Quote from: VULB#62 on Today at 11:21:04 AM What's the turnout?  Hope it's more than a handful.  A couple hundred would be nice. My brother says 75 to 100.

There's over a hundred, I believe 
in this shot.
https://twitter.com/TVBOren/status/1713225132355760454

humbleopinion

I would guess around 250. Many left between periods of the scrimmage.

Maybe Paul will give a report on shooting percentage — we seem to have the run and gun going, but we need to gun with much more accuracy for the strategy to work.
Beamin' Beacons

tjjvalpo

It was a pretty decent turnout. I would say about 400. It was a real practice with 2 10 minute scrimmages. Black won both- 17 to 14 and 23 to 17. In the first scrimmage, white played the entire 10 minutes, while black had 6 scholarship players and rotated in and out with Scroggins playing the least. But, in 2nd scrimmage, Scroggins played with white the entire 10 minutes. I get the impression that White represented the likely Starters. Based on my observations, I think three players are lock to start:

Edwards
DeAverio
Schwieger

The other two are likely, Palm and Stafford (they played the first scrimmage with the white and the second with the black)

Stafford lead all scoring with 11pts, with 3 - 3's
Weatherspoon - 10 and a couple 3's
Schwieger - 9
Palm - 8

Only player that didn't practice was Manyang, although he did shoot free throws during 3 minute intermission between scrimmages. His big that actually looks comfortable at the free throw line.

VULB#62

After reading Paul's interview quotes from The Rev, I think this is the first time in many years that I have experienced a vision of a coach's vision. No, seriously, I sensed what he is pointing to long term and it made complete sense. That was seldom or ever an understanding I got in the previous several years (and maybe even before that cuz Bryce was one to keep things close to the chest).

tjjvalpo

Agree,Coach Powell truly has a vision. This is the most optimistic I have been about Valpo's future in long time. Maybe we won't win a lot this first season, but it is going to be fun brand of basketball! By the time we get to the conference tournament, who knows what we will be capable of.

VULB#62

Roger stated from the beginning he had a goal (this group is gonna go to The Dance) and he has a vision of the process to get to that goal. So far, he has demonstrated intense dedication to that process. This markedly contrasts to the previous several years where the words said that you had to believe in a process despite the fact that the vision of that process was never clearly articulated, and that was because the goal was also never adequately communicated.

For this reason I am in Roger's corner as far as he and his teams can go. Will I wonder about some in-game decisions?  Of course.  Duh, this is basketball and coaching decisions occur continuously during a game.  But I will not lose faith in his vision.

And a, oh BTW thought. The exhibition and the first game (a non-DI) will not truly reflect the tough road ahead. I wouldn't put much credence into those two games other than to enjoy some really good, young athletes doing their thing.

tiny707

After scrimmage I am going with: Darius, Jaxon, Isaiah, Cooper and Jerome for a starting five. Sherman six man.

vu72

I just saw an interview with Powell and Harry Schroeder.  Harry asked Roger about his freshman and he indicated that three stood out and will play a significant role this season. They are Sherman Witherspoon, Cooper Schwieger and Jahari Williamson.

tiny707

Does Powell change the starting five after slow start last two games? The only possibility I see is Ola for Palm but Palm is a Captain so maybe not?

VULB#62

As they say, it's not who starts, it'swho finishes. But...

He will not give up on Jerome, nor will I.