• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #1 - Trinity Christian 11/6/23 The Powell Opener

Started by talksalot, November 04, 2023, 08:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

IMO the biggest factor in our 2nd half fall-off was limiting minutes for 3 unstoppable players that displayed that unrelentless "dog" mentality on both ends of the court:

Isaiah Stafford 20 pts in 23 min on 7-12 FG, 5-6 3FG
Jaxon Edwards 16 pts in 16 min on 6-9 FG, 2-3 3FG
Jahari Williamson 16 pts in 20 min on 5-6 FG, 4-5 3FG

That's an avg of 17 pts in 20 min. X 3 (34per40) on 67% FG, 79% 3FG

So, yeah, we probably could have scored 130 points; or, do what we did and call off the dogs early, give everyone meaningful playing time, and not humiliate our guests. All in all, I would say "mission accomplished."

wh

Quote from: wh on November 07, 2023, 05:20:43 PM
IMO the biggest factor in our 2nd half fall-off was limiting minutes for 3 unstoppable players that displayed that unrelentless "dog" mentality on both ends of the court:

Isaiah Stafford 20 pts in 23 min on 7-12 FG, 5-6 3FG
Jaxon Edwards 16 pts in 16 min on 6-9 FG, 2-3 3FG
Jahari Williamson 16 pts in 20 min on 5-6 FG, 4-5 3FG

That's an avg of 17 pts in 20 min. X 3 (34per40) on 67% FG, 79% 3FG

So, yeah, we probably could have scored 130 points; or, do what we did and call off the dogs early, give everyone meaningful playing time, and not humiliate our guests. All in all, I would say "mission accomplished."

Two more points:

• The 3 players I referenced above were an incredible 18-27 from 3. The vast majority were quick release, closely contested shots from all over. IMO this has more meaning against an overmatched opponent than had those crazy numbers come on shots in the paint against shorter, less athletic opponents.

• 18-27 from 3 Valpo players in the same game is in sharp contrast with last year, where opposing teams were daring us to take perimeter 3's. And, even as wide open as we constantly were, we were still the worst shooting team from 3 in the MVC.

wh

I'm not going to say it won't happen, but I would think it's going to be hard for anyone to walk away from Roger - charismatic leader, mentor, spiritual advisor, a giant among men.

https://twitter.com/masonsview/status/1722016275902107756

NotBryceDrew

Worth noting attendance was 1,900 for the opener, there were only 3 home games the entirety of last season that had more than that. I get that it was Powell's debut and there was a lot of promotion but it was also a Monday night against a non D1. I'm optimistic the ARC will be much more full this season

AB

Bad opponent, most of the city are unfamiliar with the new roster. Yes their is more of a buzz, but winning will solve the attendance not promotions.

wh

Quote from: AB on November 08, 2023, 12:31:06 PM
Bad opponent, most of the city are unfamiliar with the new roster. Yes their is more of a buzz, but winning will solve the attendance not promotions.

Two things can be right at the same time.

humbleopinion

Quote from: wh on November 07, 2023, 07:18:07 PM
• The 3 players I referenced above were an incredible 18-27 from 3.

I believe 5-6, 2-3, 4-5 adds up to 11-14.  An even higher percentage, but fewer attempts.  :thumbsup:
Beamin' Beacons

therevev

I watched the game on ESPN+. I had a thought as I saw the low number of people in attendance. When I went to Valpo ('97), I remember that they would have the curtain down. People were expected to sit closer to the court, and if more people arrived, the curtain would be raised. Having the curtain down at the beginning did a good job of concentrating the people and keeping the noise on top of the action.

tiny707

If we got 1900 on Monday probably won't need the curtain? Especially moving forward.

NativeCheesehead

The curtain down on home games? In 1997?  My friend I was there at the same time. That is absolutely incorrect. Maybe in 87. But not Bryce's junior or senior years.

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 08, 2023, 01:18:38 PM
Quote from: wh on November 07, 2023, 07:18:07 PM
• The 3 players I referenced above were an incredible 18-27 from 3.

I believe 5-6, 2-3, 4-5 adds up to 11-14.  An even higher percentage, but fewer attempts.  :thumbsup:

Normally, I'm pretty good at arithmetic. Honest! lol

valpotx

It's worth noting that this was 900 more fans than the last time that we played Trinity Christian.  That is a good sign of the games to come, so hopefully our style of play will keep them coming!
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 08, 2023, 09:33:17 PM
The curtain down on home games? In 1997?  My friend I was there at the same time. That is absolutely incorrect. Maybe in 87. But not Bryce's junior or senior years.

This is correct. I've been to games through 1987 and 1997.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

AB

Curtains were down until Casey and Redmon arrived. Tracy Gibson senior year was the turnaround with team improvement and attendance

therevev

I graduated in 97, and I agree attendance was outstanding with Bryce. But my freshman year and the year before when I attended with my brother, yes the curtain started down.