• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #4 - #23 Illinois at Champaign - 11/17/23 The Prodigal Son returns

Started by talksalot, November 15, 2023, 09:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

OK, so we beat Green Bay (DON'T call us UWGB, or Wisconsin-Green Bay) and showed some real spark at times.   Here's another game thread for your dancing and dining pleasure.

BTW, no band last night due to flu-like symptoms running through the group, including the director and Chuck-on-drums.   They only had 8 or 9 healthy players.

So... it's on to the Host of the MTE (that includes Southern and Western Illinois for us).  The Illini are a good team.

Beat Ottawa College of Kansas 116-65 in the first exhibition game.

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. – No. 25 Illinois never trailed in the second half enroute to an 82-75 victory over No. 1 Kansas in the Maui Strong Relief Matchup exhibition at State Farm Center on Sunday night.

Followed up with 80-52 win over Eastern Illinois
Followed up with 64-52 win over Greg Kampe's Oakland Grizz's

and last night, they hosted #4 Marquette.   Here's the recap of that 7-point loss.   I had not realized that the Southern Illinois stud Domask had moved up to Urbana.

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. – No. 23 Illinois came up short in the Gavitt Tipoff Games, falling at home to No. 4 Marquette, 71-64, in front of a sold-out State Farm Center crowd on Tuesday night.

Marcus Domask finished in double digits for his first time as an Illini, recording 18 points and six rebounds. Domask nearly reached double figures in the first half alone, notching nine before the break before accounting for nine of Illinois' first 16 points of the second period of play. He also accumulated one steal and one block.

Luke Goode recorded a career-high 13 points, which included four 3-pointers, a mark that also set a new career best despite coming off the bench. Goode scored a team-high 10 points in the first half before eclipsing his career-best mark in the second half with his fourth triple of the night.

Terrence Shannon Jr. ended his night in double figures for the 13th consecutive game, tallying a team-high 21 points, including 14 in the second half and nine in the final five minutes. Shannon also amassed two assists, two steals, and a block.

Ty Rodgers set the tone on defense while also recording six points, four rebounds, two assists, two steals, and a block.

Quincy Guerrier grabbed a team-high 10 rebounds, his second straight game with double-digit boards, while Coleman Hawkins made an Illini-most three blocks.

Illinois knocked down a season-high 11 3-pointers as a team, while the Orange and Blue made seven blocks and six steals on the defensive end of the floor.

The No. 23 Fighting Illini (2-1) return to State Farm Center on Friday night, when former Illinois star and current Valparaiso head coach Roger Powell Jr. and the Beacons come to town. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. CT on B1G+.

So, I'm sure we can probably agree that UofI can write any final score they want in this game.   I'm hoping our freshmen don't come out with complete deer-in-headlights.   Hope we can enjoy the atmosphere... and look forward to picking up some good tips and bring'em back for the Leathernecks next Tuesday.

talksalot

justducky

Despite our GB win we are near or at an all time low in our ability to impressively compete with a ranked opponent. Because of our program overhaul, I'm fine with this but our standard measurements for success at Illinois might need to be rewritten. The best case might mean the home team takes the floor with total sleepwalking complacency thus keeping us briefly in the game and giving our youth a needed shot of confidence. BUT! Lots of small and painful 2023-24 steps remain ahead of us.

covufan

Our shooting efficiency has been offensive.  We'll need our best game (Division I game) to keep this under 30.  Is the team up to the challenge?  We only played 8 against GB.  We have not been able to play the uptempo game, with only 67 possessions the last two games each.  We have not been able to keep the other team from offensive rebounds, which will really haunt us against better teams. 

This is more of a 'would love to see' guess:

Illinois 79
Valpo   60

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on November 15, 2023, 09:05:06 AMOK, so we beat Green Bay (DON'T call us UWGB, or Wisconsin-Green Bay) and showed some real spark at times.   Here's another game thread for your dancing and dining pleasure.

Well, that is a lot better than what the Chicago Bears have done.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu84v2

Shannon and Hawkins have some potential of playing in the NBA, so they will be very difficult for Valpo's young players to defend. Domask and Goode can shoot the three. Biggest weakness for Illinois is that they do not have a point guard, so pressuring the ball could reduce Illinois' offensive effectiveness. Biggest worry for Valpo is Illinois' defense....Marquette struggled at times to score against them and had seven shots blocked (and Marquette is one of the very best offensive efficiency teams in the country).

historyman

University of Illinois Illini "Chief Illiniwekless"  93
Valparaiso Beacons "Beaconing Up" " brotherhood of the fading light"  59
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

• Coming into this season, Valpo's starting 5 has played in 77 D-1 games, collectively.
• IL's starting 5 - 487 games collectively.
• IL starts 3 5th-year seniors, 1 4th year senior, and 1 sophomore.

This is a complete mismatch, experience wise and age wise. We have no chance of ever being in this game, nor should anyone expect that we should. That said, next year will be vastly different. Everyone will have a year experience minimum, and this stupid extra year of eligibility awarded for the season that no one missed due to COVID will finally be over. That's a double benefit to us.

valpotx

This will be ugly, but a good learning opportunity for a young team:

Illinois 84
Valpo 50
"Don't mess with Texas"

David81

At the very least, it will be interesting to see who among these young players will show the athleticism and basketball smarts that reveal an NCAA tourney-level player in the making. If even a couple of them stand out, then that portends well for this program.

78crusader

I believe in Coach Powell, and I also believe the VU administration has made a renewed commitment to the basketball program.

Much better days are ahead. Unfortunately, the Illinois game will not be one of those better days.

Illini 79
VU 42

Paul

nkvu

VUSWIM08-12

Line has moved to -30, took Illinois at -31 for +110 earlier this morning.  I hope it's significantly closer!!

justducky

Quote from: 78crusader on November 17, 2023, 10:58:28 AMMuch better days are ahead. Unfortunately, the Illinois game will not be one of those better days.

I agree completely and am anticipating a painful night. Should I get a fresh supply of sipping whisky or will that just make things worse  ???

nkvu

Quote from: justducky on November 17, 2023, 03:13:21 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on November 17, 2023, 10:58:28 AMMuch better days are ahead. Unfortunately, the Illinois game will not be one of those better days.

I agree completely and am anticipating a painful night. Should I get a fresh supply of sipping whisky or will that just make things worse  ???

I have a ball cap I picked up in Bardstown KY that says "Just add Bourbon". I'd go with that.

Chairback

VALPO LI

Am I seeing this right?
Stafford with 23 points at the half and the rest of the team total 22 points?
  ;D
This will be an interesting 2nd half, hope the Beacons can continue to light em up!
Shine on Vu