• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #7 - Drake in the ARC - 11/29/23 7pm Rock the Arc

Started by talksalot, November 25, 2023, 08:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 30, 2023, 09:04:56 AM
I'm not convinced you can play players at that pace for 40 minutes without less minutes and a deeper rotation. 
This relates to a question I raised before the start of the season, and I have never heard adequately resolved. I liked Coach Powell's idea of an up-tempo game plan, but it appeared this strategy would be more difficult when the action became limited to fewer participants, mostly due to injuries and a decision to redshirt Scroggins. The team has now been restricted in the last three games to an 8-player rotation, including a number of freshmen who have yet to fully build Division-1 strength and stamina. My question was why didn't VU fill the final scholarship spot. Does anyone have an answer? It would have been nice if there were a planned surprise of a mid-year addition to the team. However, otherwise the lack of a 13th scholarship player on the bench seems merely a self-imposed handicap.   

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on November 30, 2023, 06:33:55 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 30, 2023, 09:04:56 AM
I'm not convinced you can play players at that pace for 40 minutes without less minutes and a deeper rotation. 
This relates to a question I raised before the start of the season, and I have never heard adequately resolved. I liked Coach Powell's idea of an up-tempo game plan, but it appeared this strategy would be more difficult when the action became limited to fewer participants, mostly due to injuries and a decision to redshirt Scroggins. The team has now been restricted in the last three games to an 8-player rotation, including a number of freshmen who have yet to fully build Division-1 strength and stamina. My question was why didn't VU fill the final scholarship spot. Does anyone have an answer? It would have been nice if there were a planned surprise of a mid-year addition to the team. However, otherwise the lack of a 13th scholarship player on the bench seems merely a self-imposed handicap.   

Just my opinion but the grand plan seems to have little focus on this year other than to develop the players and their player mentality. Maybe it doesn't matter to Roger or us if we could win 6 MVC games by using that last scholarship or settle for less wins by opportunistically holding it in reserve for a perfect fit situation. In fact I'd be surprised if the staff doesn't already have a handful of players in mind as this first semester progresses. Long term I'm still viewing this choice positively and think it is very likely to work out in our favor. Meanwhile lets be patient!

VULB#62

Nuther redshirt thought. Based on his knee cap injury and the slow recovery we've seen, might Manyang need to go on a(nother) medical red-shirt?  Can he even do that? Is there a limit?  Of course, if he did, he'd probably wind up with a Valpo PhD  ;) )