• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

WBB: @ Ball State University (5-5) (Muncie, IN, 12/18/11)

Started by Crusader03, December 14, 2011, 08:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader03

Let's get some Lady 'Sader chat going here before Sunday's HUGE matchup with the hated Cardinals of Ball State!  This is a crucial matchup for VU on several fronts---a) in state rivalry game b) selection committee will want to see how we come out after a close loss at Pitt c) possible trap game before big time home game against a very solid Eastern Illinois team.

Can we stop Hitchens and Carter?  The size and length of these players will be difficult for us to deal with.  In the game I watched them play, I was very impressed with their wing play.  We will need to close out on everything and force them into penetration.  That's where our big guns step up and have to get plenty of packs.  My bold prediction is that Gina Lange has her coming out party for the LS and scores in double figures, leading us to an improbable, come-from-behind victory!

Jack and others, would love to hear your thoughts on this game.  Haters need not respond or come at me with your snarkniness...'tis the season to be jolly, not to be rude! :)

Valpo89

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 14, 2011, 08:11:52 AM
b) selection committee will want to see how we come out after a close loss at Pitt

I'm sorry to be snarky, but come on - Selection Committee??
The Horizon League doesn't have a selection committee for the conference tournament. Seedings are based on regular-season standings.
Other than your absurd and vomit-inducing nickname for the team, you appear to be somewhat well-versed on women's basketball. So, even you should realize that there will be no need for the Selection Committee (assuming you mean NCAA) to be concerned about a December non-conference game involving Valparaiso and Ball State.
Merry Christmas.

valpo04

Quote from: Valpo89 on December 14, 2011, 09:05:34 AM
b) selection committee will want to see how we come out after a close loss at Pitt

The Horizon League doesn't have a selection committee for the conference tournament. Seedings are based on regular-season standings.
Other than your absurd and vomit-inducing nickname for the team, you appear to be somewhat well-versed on women's basketball. So, even you should realize that there will be no need for the Selection Committee (assuming you mean NCAA) to be concerned about a December non-conference game involving Valparaiso and Ball State.
Merry Christmas.

jack

Let's get some Lady 'Sader chat going here before Sunday's HUGE matchup with the hated Cardinals of Ball State!  This is a crucial matchup for VU on several fronts---a) in state rivalry game b) selection committee will want to see how we come out after a close loss at Pitt c) possible trap game before big time home game against a very solid Eastern Illinois team.

Can we stop Hitchens and Carter?  The size and length of these players will be difficult for us to deal with.  In the game I watched them play, I was very impressed with their wing play.  We will need to close out on everything and force them into penetration.  That's where our big guns step up and have to get plenty of packs.  My bold prediction is that Gina Lange has her coming out party for the LS and scores in double figures, leading us to an improbable, come-from-behind victory!

Jack and others, would love to hear your thoughts on this game.  Haters need not respond or come at me with your snarkniness...'tis the season to be jolly, not to be rude! :)
This is an interesting matchup. The biggest factor in this game is how many players we can get involved. We can't continue to compete at this level with 6 players. As I said before, we are one injury away from not competing at all. We have a good little freshman guard who's playing 26+ minutes a contest, and contributing, and even she's hurt and not playing 100%. Timmerman got all of 2 minutes last game, and I haven't figured out yet what the deal is with Horton. We have Lang, Adams, and Calloway, who apparently may not see the floor anytime in the near future. If I'm not mistaken, this only leaves Jasone, who has another contest after this one to sit out, before she can play. The other transfers can't play this season. I could be wrong, but this is the way I understand it to be.
I have to say, I love the grit and heart of this squad, and what they are enduring will make them a much stronger team for next year, but unless help arrives, all we can hope for is to improve with each game, and try to stay healthy.
Having said all of that, I believe these are the keys to the game:
Defense: We are doing a really nice job of defending this season. Our guards MUST play "in your face" D at the top of the key to be successful. I know we aren't in a possition to pick up any stupid fouls as short handed as we are, but we have to come out forceful under the basket on block outs and rebounds, and push the officials until we find out how the game will be called. Right now, every team we play sees us as a "wounded duck". We have to assert ourselves early to let them know otherwise.
Offense: PUSH THE BALL. - We have our best success on "O" when we get the ball up quick. Our guards, are as quick as any we've faced thus far, and we MUST keep the preasure on their defenders, and stay out of the trap.
We MUST have crisp passing, and handle the passes better. We had some nice passes inside that get through our hands. We can't afford to sqaunder any scoring opportunities in this one.
Balanced scoring. Every BSU player needs to see each of us as a scoring threat. It's the only thing that will create space, and scoring opportunities for us. Our guards need to score early from outside to open up the inside game.
Last, but not least - Free Throws. We have to get to the line, and we have to finish. I believe this will be the difference in the game. We Must force them to try and take a charge inside by going strong, finishing, and getting to the line. Our charity stripe visits have been an area we have to work on. We'll need every point we can get in this one.
If the Lady Crusaders bring the same grit and heart they've displayed, I think we can sneak out of there with a "W".

Crusader03

Quote from: valpo04 on December 14, 2011, 09:12:42 AM

Merry Christmas.

Guess you didn't catch my comments about no rudeness or snarkiness....oh well, to each his own.  Merry Christmas!

Crusader03

Merry Christmas.

Of course, I'm being a little facetious about the selection committee...honestly, coming into this year I thought we might be a tourney contender (and I stated as much from the start).  With the incoming recruits, another year of experience and an ideal schedule, I thought we would make some noise.  Obviously, I was wrong.  Now, if we were to win out and lose to GB in the championship game, I retract my admission of wrongness. ;) 

I still like the NN, but it's cool if you don't.  Thanks for the compliment...believe it or not, in all my humor (or lack thereof according to some!), I know quite a bit about the women's game.  I enjoy watching it and it is often more pure and fundamental than the men's game....still enjoy the men more, but would love to see some buzz around our women's program.  One of these days, they will be relevant again!

You have a wonderful Christmas as well, '89.

Crusader03

Quote from: jack on December 14, 2011, 09:51:51 AM

This is an interesting matchup. The biggest factor in this game is how many players we can get involved. We can't continue to compete at this level with 6 players. As I said before, we are one injury away from not competing at all. We have a good little freshman guard who's playing 26+ minutes a contest, and contributing, and even she's hurt and not playing 100%. Timmerman got all of 2 minutes last game, and I haven't figured out yet what the deal is with Horton. We have Lang, Adams, and Calloway, who apparently may not see the floor anytime in the near future. If I'm not mistaken, this only leaves Jasone, who has another contest after this one to sit out, before she can play. The other transfers can't play this season. I could be wrong, but this is the way I understand it to be.
I have to say, I love the grit and heart of this squad, and what they are enduring will make them a much stronger team for next year, but unless help arrives, all we can hope for is to improve with each game, and try to stay healthy.
Having said all of that, I believe these are the keys to the game:
Defense: We are doing a really nice job of defending this season. Our guards MUST play "in your face" D at the top of the key to be successful. I know we aren't in a possition to pick up any stupid fouls as short handed as we are, but we have to come out forceful under the basket on block outs and rebounds, and push the officials until we find out how the game will be called. Right now, every team we play sees us as a "wounded duck". We have to assert ourselves early to let them know otherwise.
Offense: PUSH THE BALL. - We have our best success on "O" when we get the ball up quick. Our guards, are as quick as any we've faced thus far, and we MUST keep the preasure on their defenders, and stay out of the trap.
We MUST have crisp passing, and handle the passes better. We had some nice passes inside that get through our hands. We can't afford to sqaunder any scoring opportunities in this one.
Balanced scoring. Every BSU player needs to see each of us as a scoring threat. It's the only thing that will create space, and scoring opportunities for us. Our guards need to score early from outside to open up the inside game.
Last, but not least - Free Throws. We have to get to the line, and we have to finish. I believe this will be the difference in the game. We Must force them to try and take a charge inside by going strong, finishing, and getting to the line. Our charity stripe visits have been an area we have to work on. We'll need every point we can get in this one.
If the Lady Crusaders bring the same grit and heart they've displayed, I think we can sneak out of there with a "W".

Excellent analysis as always, Jack.  TEMPO is going to be huge...we need to create tempo on the defensive end and turn that into easy points in transition.  I think we are a bit overmatched but tempo can be the great equalizer.  You're right on re: the passing as well...we have cost ourselves too often by passing at half speed, not meeting the ball or failing to catch.  Little things cost you in a big ways.

Thanks for the great info!

bbtds

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 14, 2011, 10:59:13 AMOf course, I'm being a little facetious about the selection committee

03, I say this in I hope you deem a helpful way. It is not obvious at all that you are being facetious. This is the way you have acted for a while now and all it does it come across as crazy. You have already stated you don't care what other posters think of your posts so they are not responding when you make incredible statements such as the NCAA selection committee is looking at the Lady CRUsaders as a possible at large selection. That is just crazy talk.

IndyValpo

03, rather than your normal stuff why don't you do a little research and find out why Horton is not playing, why Timmerman continues to play small minutes, how long will the others be out....you are the biggest fan I would think you could find these things out for Lady Crusader fans.

Crusader03

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 14, 2011, 05:03:26 PM
03, rather than your normal stuff why don't you do a little research and find out why Horton is not playing, why Timmerman continues to play small minutes, how long will the others be out....you are the biggest fan I would think you could find these things out for Lady Crusader fans.

Ok, I'll see what I can find out on Horton. 

Timmerman would be used more as a shooter of the bench, but when you've shot the 3 as poorly as she has...well, you won't get many minutes.  I think she has maybe made 1 or 2 threes in a bunch of attempts.  When you're a senior who can't shoot it consistently and you don't bring much else, you're going to fall out of the rotation.

No idea on how long everyone will be out...I don't have that kind of insider info for the most part, so your guess is as good as mine.

Crusader03

Quote from: bbtds on December 14, 2011, 03:01:23 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on December 14, 2011, 10:59:13 AMOf course, I'm being a little facetious about the selection committee

03, I say this in I hope you deem a helpful way. It is not obvious at all that you are being facetious. This is the way you have acted for a while now and all it does it come across as crazy. You have already stated you don't care what other posters think of your posts so they are not responding when you make incredible statements such as the NCAA selection committee is looking at the Lady CRUsaders as a possible at large selection. That is just crazy talk.

Over your head, I guess.

BTW, Indianapolis is not 0-16 yet...I think they very well may beat the Titans this week.

bbtds

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 14, 2011, 08:49:28 PMOver your head, I guess.

Okay, explain it then instead of pretending to be above me.

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 14, 2011, 08:49:28 PMBTW, Indianapolis is not 0-16 yet...I think they very well may beat the Titans this week.

If only the Colts fans and players truly believed that. 

I'll make you a $50 bet the Colts lose to the Titans. You willing to put your money where your mouth is?

As a matter of fact Colts Vice Chairman, Bill Polian, has hinted that if the Colts go 0-16, Colts coach, Jim Caldwell, will lose his job, so even the Colts upper management is thinking they could go 0-16.

valporun

For those who are interested in watching today's women's basketball game, http://www.mac-sports.com/Schools/BallState/LiveStreaming.aspx has live video of the game here, and it's FREE.

Valpo dresses seven for this game, after some freak injuries and players not ready to return. In the first half, Valpo has lost Shaquira Scott to a freak injury, and she won't return based on how bad things were. She couldn't leave the court under her own power. This leaves a very depleted bench for the Lady Crusaders. I'll be watching more of this game, and trying to give some updates.

valporun

The Lady Crusaders get a very undermanned, tough WIN over Ball State this afternoon, 67-53. With a dress roster of 7 at the start of the game, Shaquira Scott going down with a knee injury in the first half that had her on crutches out of the locker room in the second half, and 5 eligible players left at the end of the game, this was a huge victory for the ladies. Varner had 18 points on 6/12 and 11 boards, Gerardot had 16 on 6/11 with 6 boards, Laura Richards shot 0/4 with 5 boards and 8 assists. The standout performance was Jessica Carr. The freshman had 12 points on 3/5 from the field and 4/4 from the line. She set a career high, but with many more games to go in these 4 years, that 12 points will be far back in the line soon.

Ball State was not the physical team that we had seen in recent years. Hitchens was their leading scorer with 14 points, no one else had more than 9.

Their next game is Tuesday night at the ARC against Eastern Illinois. This will be a tough game with a very depleted roster. Will we have any of the freak injuries ready for this game, or will it be a long game for the six women who can dress?

Crusader03

Quote from: bbtds on December 14, 2011, 09:34:11 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on December 14, 2011, 08:49:28 PMOver your head, I guess.

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 14, 2011, 08:49:28 PMBTW, Indianapolis is not 0-16 yet...I think they very well may beat the Titans this week.

I'll make you a $50 bet the Colts lose to the Titans. You willing to put your money where your mouth is?

As a matter of fact Colts Vice Chairman, Bill Polian, has hinted that if the Colts go 0-16, Colts coach, Jim Caldwell, will lose his job, so even the Colts upper management is thinking they could go 0-16.

'Sader03 ftw!  (I know it's killing you to be bested by me time after time  ;))

Crusader03

Great, hard-nosed win for the Lady 'Saders today.  As I said, stopping Hitchens and Carter was key...limiting those two players to 15 total shots was a major factor in this win.  Keith is bringing things along.  These girls are warriors and are battling right now despite the circumstances. 

Perhaps we're too far gone to be an NCAA at-large, but I think we are establishing ourselves as a darkhorse in the HL.  Of course, UWGB is a power, but given the mental toughness of the LS'ers, who's to say we can't upset them in the tourney?  NCAA or bust!!!!

jack

Quote from: valporun on December 18, 2011, 02:13:18 PM
The Lady Crusaders get a very undermanned, tough WIN over Ball State this afternoon, 67-53. With a dress roster of 7 at the start of the game, Shaquira Scott going down with a knee injury in the first half that had her on crutches out of the locker room in the second half, and 5 eligible players left at the end of the game, this was a huge victory for the ladies. Varner had 18 points on 6/12 and 11 boards, Gerardot had 16 on 6/11 with 6 boards, Laura Richards shot 0/4 with 5 boards and 8 assists. The standout performance was Jessica Carr. The freshman had 12 points on 3/5 from the field and 4/4 from the line. She set a career high, but with many more games to go in these 4 years, that 12 points will be far back in the line soon.

Ball State was not the physical team that we had seen in recent years. Hitchens was their leading scorer with 14 points, no one else had more than 9.

Their next game is Tuesday night at the ARC against Eastern Illinois. This will be a tough game with a very depleted roster. Will we have any of the freak injuries ready for this game, or will it be a long game for the six women who can dress?
I'll have to agree with this assesment. I believe this one was won, as I thought it would be, at the line. The ladies did a great job getting to the line, and finishing. This would have to go down as one of the most satisfying W's in Freeman's recent past. We limped into their home arena, severely short handed, and won, in convincing fashion.
Keys to the W:
Again I'd have to say our charity stripe game. We did what we needed to, to get to the stripe, and we finished. This was huge in keeping BSU from gaining momentum.
Gerardot played huge inside. This was probably her best effort yet, in my opinion. Even with the questionable call that retired her from the game. Lange did a fabulous job of getting after the ball, and pulled down some huge boards at critical times. Varner had another stellar perfomance disrupting their passing lanes, and forcing the contact on offense. Richards did a nice job at controlling the tempo, and dishing the ball to teammates ready to shoot. Her 8 assist were big. Another big key was Timmerman. she was shooting the ball well, and forcing the defenders to stay on her, freeing up others to score. It was nice to see her back in, getting some much needed minutes. I really can't say enough about Carr, who now appears to be our lone freshman, about the game she played. To watch Scott, our other freshman, go down the way she did, and be able to keep her composure and step up her game was another key factor in this contest. This game should go a long way in her development as a Crusader. The fact that she's playing, from all reports, hurt and not close to 100%, speaks volumes for her toughness, character, and certainly a bright spot for the team in the years to come.
What a terrible loss when Scott went down. You hope and pray it isn't serious, and wish her a speedy recovery. It seemed that we were getting to a point where we could get 7 to 8 healthy and playing, with Jasone coming into the fold, and now we're dealing with, yet another setback. If there is a possitive point to this, It would be that these kids are digging down deep and finding it in themselves to step up to the next level. I see a closeness with these players that's been missing with this program. It's going to be a tough year with the adversity they've been dealing with, but if today showed us anything, it showed us that you can't ever count these ladies out. Congrats Ladies. What a great win. Go Crusaders!! 

bbtds

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 18, 2011, 03:03:35 PM
Quote from: bbtds on December 14, 2011, 09:34:11 PM

'Sader03 ftw!  (I know it's killing you to be bested by me time after time  ;))

You were right, I was wrong. I'll simply change my prediction to 1-15. I couldn't believe that another NFL team could make more mistakes than the Colts. The Colts defense was able to make just enough plays to win their first game of the season.