• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NIT Chances

Started by valpofan56, March 07, 2011, 06:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofan56

Thought I'd provide some background for discussion about a possible NIT bid.

Valpo's current RPI: 70, 21-11 (14-7)
Top 50 RPI wins: Cleveland State (40), Butler (45), Missouri State (41)
Top 100 RPI wins: Oakland (57), Milwaukee (99)
200+ RPI losses: Toledo (335)

HL RPI Rankings
2011: 11
2010: 14
2009: 12
2008: 11

2010: Wright State, RPI: 80, 20-12 (13-7)
Top 50 RPI wins: none
Top 100 RPI wins: Sam Houston State (70)
200+ RPI losses: Loyola (213)

2009: Green Bay, RPI: 71, 21-9 (13-6)
Top 50 RPI wins: Butler (24)
Top 100 RPI wins: Cleveland State (52), Wright State (93)
200+ RPI losses: Loyola (214), Youngstown State (239)

2008: Cleveland State, RPI: 65, 19-13 (13-7) (Made the NIT)
Top 50 RPI wins: Butler (17)
Top 100 RPI wins: Florida State (59), Wright State (84)
200+ RPI losses: Loyola (221)

2008: Wright State, RPI: 84, 21-10 (13-7)
Top 50 RPI wins: Butler (17)
Top 100 RPI wins: Miami (OH) (80), Cal. State Fullerton (77), Belmont (76), Cleveland State (65)
200+ RPI losses: none

rlh

Still don't think we're NIT bound, although I hope we are....but we will certainly be in a post season tournament....

vuweathernerd

we keep seeing multi-bid conference top seeds falling in their tourneys, and yeah. we're screwed. better start pulling for 1 seeds.

valpofan56

I agree with you guys.  I thought there might be a decent chance if Milwaukee won tomorrow, but not after so many teams that finished first in their regular seasons ended up not making it.  Oh well . . .

covufan

I believe we are in the Top 100, so we should get the NIT bid.  Most rankings have us in the Top 100.  Massey has a college basketball rankings comparison, which we are currently at 84.  Hopefully, we'll get in and surprise a team or two!

http://masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

rlh

Not sure what this means, except we are under consideration....but the sports network has been sent the rules and regulations for the NIT radio coverage.  At least we're in the mix....still don't think we'll make it because of what's happening in conference tournaments, but at least we're being considered.

valpofan56

That is interesting rlh.  More bad news for our chances, however, is that it looks like Milwaukee is going to lose to Butler.  One more NIT spot gone.

covufan

As of today, VU has played 4 games against NCAA qualifiers - Northern CO, Butler (2) and Oakland.  I'm sure Kansas and Purdue will get into the field.  Right now, both CSU and Missouri St. have borderline RPI's that might get one or both into the field, depending on other confernence tournament outcomes.  Based on our record versus these teams, I like our chances in the NIT. 

talksalot

OK I get the prestige thing... but would we want to go to the NIT and play, say Penn State on their court... or be a top seed in the CBI/CIT and host a game or two with a chance to win the tournament?

valpofan56

Quote from: talksalot on March 12, 2011, 04:26:06 AM
OK I get the prestige thing... but would we want to go to the NIT and play, say Penn State on their court... or be a top seed in the CBI/CIT and host a game or two with a chance to win the tournament?

I'm sure you're talking generally, but Penn State is almost assuredly in THE tourney, win or lose tomorrow.

valpofan56

valpopal

Since we turned the clocks ahead an hour today for DST, I am just guessing we will turn back the calendar a decade and host Oral Roberts in the CIT. Who knows, it might be fun to see ORU again.

valpofan56

If we're going to be in the CIT or CBI, I personally would love to see a Minnesota/Valpo matchup.

valpotx

Quote from: valpopal on March 13, 2011, 06:47:39 PM
Since we turned the clocks ahead an hour today for DST, I am just guessing we will turn back the calendar a decade and host Oral Roberts in the CIT. Who knows, it might be fun to see ORU again.

That would bring eaglebackr back to our board temporarily...I am not hoping for this outcome lol
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on March 13, 2011, 07:37:11 PM

That would bring eaglebackr back to our board temporarily...I am not hoping for this outcome lol

It all depends on if he can find the new board. Let's hope no one points out the new board to him.

valpopal

Looks like we're hosting Iona on Wednesday.

covufan

Do the big conferences not accept CBI and CIT bids, or does the CBI and CIT not go after those teams?  I'm thinking about Baylor and Minnesota.  I'm sure there are others.

a3uge

Quote from: covufan on March 14, 2011, 01:18:50 PM
Do the big conferences not accept CBI and CIT bids, or does the CBI and CIT not go after those teams?  I'm thinking about Baylor and Minnesota.  I'm sure there are others.

The CIT is mid-major only, so they don't invite power conference schools. This way they're getting teams with a higher winning percentage, so a post-season birth actually makes sense. As for the CBI, they actually do invite power conference teams, but many of them turn it down. Even Drexel said "NIT or nothing". I know Ole Miss said they wouldn't bother with the CBI, as well as Maryland. I'm sure Baylor said the same thing.

agibson

(most of this already said, but I'll post anyway)

Quote from: covufan on March 14, 2011, 01:18:50 PM

The CBI does go after majors - and has had some success recruiting them (including some with sub-500 records, etc.).

The CIT supposedly makes a point of being a tournament for mids.  They have some language in their founding documents along the lines of "giving preference to teams from conferences where fewer than 50% of the teams play in the NCAA or NIT".  They also require a record above 0.500.

bbtds

Quote from: valporun on March 13, 2011, 08:13:47 PM
Quote from: valpotx on March 13, 2011, 07:37:11 PM

It all depends on if he can find the new board. Let's hope no one points out the new board to him.
Ooops, I guess I should not have sent eaglebackr that e-mail about the new board!   :)