• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Homer and the Future of Valpo Basketball

Started by mj, March 22, 2011, 01:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj

I've been thinking about this for awhile and decided to see what other people think. At some point in time Homer Drew will no longer be the coach of Valpo basketball. It's not a question of if, but rather when. I've recently seen a number of young coaches (Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Chris Mooney) taking mid-majors deep into the tournament. Can Bryce be that next great young coach?

I'm not saying I want Homer to step aside right now. I'm not saying that Homer needs to go. Homer has earned the right to retire whenever he wants. But I'm interested in seeing what Bryce will eventually bring to the table as a head coach.
I believe that we will win.

cmack

I think it is a sticky situation for us.  Will Bryce inherit the same blank check that Homer has to stay as long as he wants.  I sincerely hope Bryce has a successful run like his father, but I worry how long we stick with him in the event that he just isn't suited for the job.  Texas Tech gave Pat Knight 3 years, however they did not have the same level of personal attachment that Valpo has to the Drews.

Of course, all is moot if Bryce steps in with the same success that Scott did.