• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

SLU/Rick Majerus picks Valpo home game over Stanford road game

Started by bbtds, August 17, 2012, 02:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

I read a very interesting explanation of a scheduling decision on the Saint Louis University message board:

-The Stanford series cancellation came down to a couple of things. Stanford couldn't do a Saturday game and wanted to do it on a Sunday instead. At the same time, we had an offer from Valpo for a home and home. As the Stanford series wasn't actually signed, they decided to go with Valpo and start it at the 'Fetz (SLU's bb arena is Chaifetz). From an RPI standpoint, both teams were nearly identical last year. In the end, instead of staying on the West Coast a little longer to do the Stanford series, they decided to just go with an extra OOC home game this season and start a series with Valpo. Our only road games in the OOC schedule will be Washington and the pre-season tourney (which are technically 'neutral' games.)

According to an ESPN writer Saint Louis U backed out of a game with Stanford in Palo Alto which they had been in discussions with Stanford over. The Billiken fans wanted to know why. This explanation came at a season ticket holders' luncheon yesterday, 8/16/12.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22855&st=0

bbtds

Quote from: vuweathernerd on August 17, 2012, 08:14:08 AM
do we have a date for this game yet?

Per posters on the SLU board, the guess is that the game will be played Saturday 12/1/12.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: bbtds on August 17, 2012, 09:54:15 AM

Per posters on the SLU board, the guess is that the game will be played Saturday 12/1/12.

damn! why can't it be like 2 week later?? :(

justducky

Quote from: vuweathernerd on August 17, 2012, 12:19:25 PM

Just looked at their announced games and dates and the 15th thru 20th appear to still be open. On the 22'nd they will host LMU for a chance to get revenge for their loss out west last year. I then checked LMU to see if they might swing up here but no that will not happen until next year ,since their schedule is complete. I would think that Majerus might prefer to face us at full strength if he had the choice.

justducky

Quote from: justducky on August 17, 2012, 01:17:18 PM

Just looked at their announced games and dates and the 15th thru 20th appear to still be open. On the 22'nd they will host LMU for a chance to get revenge for their loss out west last year. I then checked LMU to see if they might swing up here but no that will not happen until next year ,since their schedule is complete. I would think that Majerus might prefer to face us at full strength if he had the choice.
OK, so I just came from the Missouri State site and we are there on the 15th which might mean we are at SLU on the 13th or the 18th and of course the 18th would be better.

valpopal

Quote from: justducky on August 17, 2012, 03:49:26 PM

OK, so I just came from the Missouri State site and we are there on the 15th which might mean we are at SLU on the 13th or the 18th and of course the 18th would be better.

Final exams are the 10th to the 14th, so I would rule out the 13th.

vubballfan10

According to the Detroit Titan Message board: http://www.detroittitanhoops.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50&start=10
the home game vs. Georgia Southern is on Friday 11/9.  Can anyone confirm this date?

mj

Valpo vs SLU. My undergrad vs my law school. Hopefully this series can last for more than 2 years.
I believe that we will win.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: justducky on August 17, 2012, 03:49:26 PM

thanks ducky. either one of those works for me as of right now. hopefully, i'll be flying home on the 12th. so maybe there's still hope! :D

valpopal

[/quote]
[/quote]

thanks ducky. either one of those works for me as of right now. hopefully, i'll be flying home on the 12th. so maybe there's still hope! :D
[/quote]

As I wrote above, the 13th is in the middle of final exams, so it is out. The 18th would be better since it comes after the first semester ends, and second-semester eligibility is in play.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on August 17, 2012, 07:00:00 PM

As I wrote above, the 13th is in the middle of final exams, so it is out. The 18th would be better since it comes after the first semester ends, and second-semester eligibility is in play.

None of you are paying much attention. It was stated by the SLU board that they agreed to the game with Valpo because Valpo agreed to play on Saturday. The Saturdays in December are 1,8,15,22&29. The 13th and 18th are not Saturdays.

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on August 17, 2012, 07:20:29 PMNone of you are paying much attention. It was stated by the SLU board that they agreed to the game with Valpo because Valpo agreed to play on Saturday. The Saturdays in December are 1,8,15,22&29. The 13th and 18th are not Saturdays.
Not the way I read it. The saturday vs Sunday reference was in reguard to staying over in california an extra day after their 11-28 game at Washington. So yes we might meet them on Saturday the 1st but not necessarily. You may have spotted something else from their board but it is not in what you quoted.

StlVUFan

Unless the HL is going back to starting the conference season around New Years Day, or unless that first weekend is 12/8 and 12/10, 12/1 doesn't seem likely.

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on August 18, 2012, 08:16:17 AMUnless the HL is going back to starting the conference season around New Years Day, or unless that first weekend is 12/8 and 12/10, 12/1 doesn't seem likely.

I think you answered your own question. If you look at the one team who's complete schedule was leaked out, UIC, it does not show any conference games before Jan. 1.

This is from the UIC message board:
Nov 7 Exhibition (TBA)
Nov 11 UC-Riverside
Nov 16 New Mexico (Paradise Jam)
Nov 17/18 Geo Mason/Mercer (Paradise Jam)
Nov 19 TBA (Paradise Jam)
Nov 24 SE Missouri
Nov 27 @ Northern
Dec 1 @ Northwestern
Dec 5 Roosevelt
Dec 8 Colorado St
Dec 15 Eastern MI
Dec 18 @ Western IL
Dec 22 @ Miami Ohio
Dec 29 @ Toledo
Jan 1 Youngstown St
Jan 7 @ Cleve St
Jan 9 Valpo
Jan 12 @ Green Bay
Jan 16 Loyola
Jan 19 Detroit
Jan 23 Milwaukee
Jan 26 @ Wright State
Jan 30 Green Bay
Feb 2 Cleve St
Feb 6 @ Valpo
Feb 9 @ Youngstown St
Feb 16 @ Loyola
Feb 19 Detroit
Feb 23 Bracketbuster
Feb 27 @ Milwaukee
Mar 2 Wright State

http://uicflames.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=2768
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vubballfan10

Also, the travel partner system is completely gone.  From UIC's schedule, is looks as if teams will play two completely random games per week, often with one home and one on the road.  This conference schedule chaos is making me miss the travel partner system.

StlVUFan

Quote from: vubballfan10 on August 18, 2012, 10:49:43 AM
Also, the travel partner system is completely gone.  From UIC's schedule, is looks as if teams will play to completely random games per week, often with one home and one on the road.  This conference schedule chaos is making me miss the travel partner system.
Reminds me of those couple of years in the Mid-Con when Centenary made 9.  Nothing regular about the conference schedule then, either.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vubballfan10 on August 18, 2012, 10:49:43 AM
Also, the travel partner system is completely gone.  From UIC's schedule, is looks as if teams will play two completely random games per week, often with one home and one on the road.  This conference schedule chaos is making me miss the travel partner system.

that's gonna make for some utterly exhausted teams come february and march. and i agree about the travel partner disappearance resulting in chaos. gonna be an interesting year...

vubballfan10

Quote from: vuweathernerd on August 19, 2012, 10:46:34 AM
Quote from: vubballfan10 on August 18, 2012, 10:49:43 AMAlso, the travel partner system is completely gone. From UIC's schedule, is looks as if teams will play two completely random games per week, often with one home and one on the road. This conference schedule chaos is making me miss the travel partner system.
that's gonna make for some utterly exhausted teams come february and march. and i agree about the travel partner disappearance resulting in chaos. gonna be an interesting year...
Without the travel partner system, travel expenses will definitely go up.  Now Valparaiso will have to make a total of four trips to Chicago and Wisconsin instead of just two.