• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo HOF 2013-2014

Started by valpotx, December 13, 2013, 10:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I didn't realize that Amanda was involved in so many sports!  She was very friendly in the classes we had together, and apparently, very deserving of this honor, along with the others in this class!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/news/archives/2013-14/13236/valparaiso-athletics-announces-hall-of-fame-class-of-2014/
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Overdue for Wolfenberg, but 'grats!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

I totally disagree with the Stenbrecher selection - he was not great a player on some terrible teams.  Nepotism galore oh this decision.

vusupporter

Not everyone in the Hall of Fame is in purely for their athletic achievements while enrolled at Valpo...

usc4valpo

If you go by that, then Eugene Parker should be in the Valpo Sports Hall of Fame over Steinbrecher.  This pick was certainly nepotism influenced.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 15, 2013, 09:45:25 AMIf you go by that, then Eugene Parker should be in the Valpo Sports Hall of Fame over Steinbrecher.
bing bing bing
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_E._Parker

enough said.  Nepotism run amok.  Parker has accomplished much more in the sports world.

LaPorteAveApostle

There's always pushback against agents, though--cf. the BBHOF against Marvin Miller and everyone hates Scott Boras...

chef

I think if you take Jon's athletic resume at Valpo he may not be HOF worthy. If you take Jon's post-Valpo resume he may not be worthy. However, when putting them both together he's clearly worthy. I think if Parker had been an undergraduate athlete at Valpo he'd be in by now.

ml2

Anyone interested in nominating individuals or teams for the Hall of Fame can do so. Here is a link to the form.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/media/pdf/HallOfFameNominationForm.pdf

Any nominations received at this point would be considered for the next class being inducted in February of 2015. The HOF's bylaws are also online which include the length of the waiting periods.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/media/pdf/HallOfFameBylaws.pdf

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, actually now I think Chef wins the argument.  Is it the Valpo Sports HoF?  Because he didn't play a sport here, or even go to undergrad.

Certainly, Parker's one of the most outstanding alumni we have.  But does he belong in there next to Tracy Gipson or Mel Doering?  Mel would be the first to tell you he never played while in school, and the last to tell you how much he did to help Valpo.  What's Parker done for the Old Gal?

Plus you posted an article from bleacher report.  So, Todd wins.

IndyValpo

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 16, 2013, 01:56:34 PMIs it the Valpo Sports HoF?  Because he didn't play a sport here, or even go to undergrad.
Parker is not a Valpo Sports HOF.  His sports involvement was as an assistant coach during the Smith era, I think.  Not really a banner time.

I can report, however, that he was a really good intramural basketball player as he was on a dominant law school team. I actually attempted to guard him once during my sophomore or junior year.  Fortunately he basically just messed around.

usc4valpo

Ok, but look at his career outside of Valpo.  Parker went to Valpo law school which is not easy.  He also is a class act, a great human being and has had an outstanding career in sports.

Also, he would easily be in the Valpo Intramural Hall of Fame.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 16, 2013, 07:16:40 PM
Ok, but look at his career outside of Valpo.  Parker went to Valpo law school which is not easy.  He also is a class act, a great human being and has had an outstanding career in sports.

Also, he would easily be in the Valpo Intramural Hall of Fame.

Not sure about the HOF either but certainly, if he hasn't already, should be awarded an Alumni Achevement Award
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo89

I think it's time to go to an every-other-year Hall of Fame selection.

usc4valpo

Interesting about HOF.  It may get diluted and maybe it has now.  Jon Steinbrecher is a reach IMO...

Eugene Parker should be recognized for his great accomplishments and actions in an alumni achievement award at the very least.  From reading about his career, it is fascinating and inspiring.  He was a great person to talk to, learn from, and a hard worker.

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 16, 2013, 03:01:24 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 16, 2013, 01:56:34 PMIs it the Valpo Sports HoF?  Because he didn't play a sport here, or even go to undergrad.
Parker is not a Valpo Sports HOF.  His sports involvement was as an assistant coach during the Smith era, I think.  Not really a banner time.

I can report, however, that he was a really good intramural basketball player as he was on a dominant law school team. I actually attempted to guard him once during my sophomore or junior year.  Fortunately he basically just messed around.
[/b]

Not surprising as he was a starter on Purdue's team and scored over 1400 points in his career there.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

chef

Quote from: Valpo89 on December 19, 2013, 08:26:47 PM
I think it's time to go to an every-other-year Hall of Fame selection.
I don't think we're at this stage yet. There's a lot of people that belong in the HOF that are not currently in....such as Dan Oppland, Zoran Viskovic, Scott Petcu, Eric Kenesie, Laura Rolf, Mo Drabicki, Steve Bartholomew, Rod Moore...and over the next couple of years there will be volleyball, softball and baseball players becoming eligible.

valpotx

My good friend Tom Starck deserves to be in the Valpo HOF.  I sent in a recommendation a few years ago to not avail.  He was Mid-Con pitcher of the year in a conference dominated by Oral Roberts, and first-team all Mid-Con in two separate seasons.  He was second or third on the all time k's record up until recently, and was a stud pitcher.  The only reason his win total wasn't higher was because we were a middle of the pack team each year due to fielding and clutch hitting issues.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: chef on December 20, 2013, 10:49:46 PMThere's a lot of people that belong in the HOF that are not currently in....such as Dan Oppland, Zoran Viskovic, Scott Petcu, Eric Kenesie,
He's known for turning a profit (at cards) but he could also be turning prophet...

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/recreation/sports-digest-valparaiso-university-names-hof-class/article_9b0473df-f951-598e-bd50-acdb8b658fd1.html

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 17, 2014, 10:51:41 PM
Quote from: chef on December 20, 2013, 10:49:46 PMThere's a lot of people that belong in the HOF that are not currently in....such as Dan Oppland, Zoran Viskovic, Scott Petcu, Eric Kenesie,
He's known for turning a profit (at cards) but he could also be turning prophet...

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/recreation/sports-digest-valparaiso-university-names-hof-class/article_9b0473df-f951-598e-bd50-acdb8b658fd1.html

How about putting the great prophet in the Valpo HOF also? I certainly think he deserves it.

vusupporter

Not sure why you cut that off at Kenesie - the very next name on his list made it as well...

LaPorteAveApostle