• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ron Hunter - GSU

Started by valpotx, March 15, 2014, 08:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Hunter has his GSU team in the Sun Belt championship game, with his SO son being the best player on the team.  Found this to be quite interesting.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

EVERYTHING THAT MAN DOES IS INTERESTING

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

IndyValpo

I have always been a Hunter fan. He did a lot for IUPUI. Georgia State was a similar school and a step or two up. Hope they win today.
Sadly several years ago Ball State could have hired him but went with the disaster that was Ronnie Thompson and that program was been the toilet ever since.

His son was a bit of a sleeper in HS here in Indianapolis. I think he was an Indiana All-Star.

FWalum

I don't know if Ron Hunter is "my kind of coach", a little too demonstrative putting on a bit of a "show" himself that in my opinion maybe takes away from the game. However, in some cases this is exactly the kind of coach a program might need and there is no denying that Ron Hunter has been successful.  IUPUI has gone downhill ever since he left and his work at Georgia State speaks for itself. He also seems to be an excellent role model off the court with his emphasis on charity and community.  Glad that he and his son are doing well.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: FWalum on March 16, 2014, 11:44:41 AMI don't know if Ron Hunter is "my kind of coach"
LOL.  As a musician, I feel the same way about conductors.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

GSU loses by 1 in OT to Louisiana-Lafayette.  They had a 2 point lead with 10 seconds left in regulation, but missed a FT, and the Cajuns took it down.  Cajuns missed a driving lay-up, got the offensive rebound, and passed to an open guy for the tie at 1.4 seconds left.  Heartbreak for those kids
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: historyman on May 16, 2014, 03:52:17 PMI noticed that Kevin Ware, the Louisville player who broke his leg in a gruesome way during the NCAA tournament in 2013, and inspired his team mates to go on and win a National championship, has transferred to Ron Hunter's program at Georgia State. Ware is from Conyers, GA and will be closer to his family.

From the IUPUI announces 5 games at the renovated State Fair Coliseum thread

LaPorteAveApostle

True, but CVF was pointing out "this year".  What was new and worth posting was that Ware has a waiver to play immediately, which he didn't a year ago when a less-appropriate thread was used.

Just sayin'.

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on June 19, 2014, 06:43:52 PM
Quote from: historyman on May 16, 2014, 03:52:17 PMI noticed that Kevin Ware, the Louisville player who broke his leg in a gruesome way during the NCAA tournament in 2013, and inspired his team mates to go on and win a National championship, has transferred to Ron Hunter's program at Georgia State. Ware is from Conyers, GA and will be closer to his family.

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 19, 2014, 07:25:52 PM
True, but CVF was pointing out "this year".  What was new and worth posting was that Ware has a waiver to play immediately, which he didn't a year ago when a less-appropriate thread was used.

Just sayin'.
I did not recall the IUPUI thread comment.  I was relating the ESPN article to this recent Ron Hunter GSU thread because, in addition to his son and getting to the Sun Belt Championship, he will have Ware and a Kentucky transfer (Ryan Harrow) for the 2014-15 season.  We might be hearing more of Ron Hunter and GSU this upcoming season.

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on July 25, 2014, 05:33:47 PM
Quote from: bbtds on June 19, 2014, 06:43:52 PM

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 19, 2014, 07:25:52 PM

Just sayin'.
I did not recall the IUPUI thread comment.  I was relating the ESPN article to this recent Ron Hunter GSU thread because, in addition to his son and getting to the Sun Belt Championship, he will have Ware and a Kentucky transfer (Ryan Harrow) for the 2014-15 season.  We might be hearing more of Ron Hunter and GSU this upcoming season.

All I know is Ron Hunter is going to walk into the renovated State Fair Coliseum and say "What did Gardner do that I didn't do. Go to Arizona?" 17 years is a lot of time to invest in a program. Of course Ron Hunter will never be bitter. He'll take off his shoes and hand them to the IUPUI AD Moore and say "now this is a floor you can go bare foot on."