• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Some Faculty Members are trying to get rid of the Crusader & Change the Mascot..

Started by VU2014, March 28, 2017, 12:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of changing the Valparaiso University Mascot?

No
Yes
I have no opinion either way

vufan75

agibson

Quote from: vufan75 on March 20, 2018, 05:42:14 PM
Did not know where to put this, but apparently Holy Cross college in last couple days dropped their use of Crusader mascot.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/mar/19/holy-cross-drops-knight-mascot-over-ties-religious/#ampshare=https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/mar/19/holy-cross-drops-knight-mascot-over-ties-religious/

Weird. And subtle, I think? I don't _think_ the President is directly contradicting the board, but it's hard to tell in this short piece. My best guess is that the board decision stands and "the nickname Crusaders for its athletic teams" remains. But that the college will stop using the knight in its logo and the mascot will no longer be a knight.

So, maybe this is a (clever?) attempt to thoroughly re-brand the Crusader. They keep the name. But try to disassociate it with military connections.

I'd assumed, at Valpo, that a switch to the Knights or the Uhlan or something, while keeping the military imagery, would be easier.

Interesting.

I'll be curious to see what they start to use as a mascot.

agibson

Sounds like my guess was about right

[tweet]976180017884483584[/tweet]

[tweet]976180866555826180[/tweet]

agibson

Chatting a bit with Mr. Stephens, apparently the university statement said they would "retire [their] costumed mascot". Not clear what, if anything, will replace it.

I don't really want to get into the cross - but, I can't help but noticing that the shield logo that replaces the old "Crusader + shield + name" has the university monogram as the shield logo. The old logo had a cross. Doesn't have to mean they took the cross away "on purpose" or are "rejecting the cross" or whatever. Probably their primary logo should have some deliberate nod to the name of the university, as per the monogram. But, it's interesting.

crusadermoe

If you want to be prestigious and very vague in the meaning of your mascot, may I suggest they consider having someone in costume as a TREE. 

You could be just the second on your block to do it.

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on March 21, 2018, 10:12:07 AM
Chatting a bit with Mr. Stephens, apparently the university statement said they would "retire [their] costumed mascot". Not clear what, if anything, will replace it.

I don't really want to get into the cross - but, I can't help but noticing that the shield logo that replaces the old "Crusader + shield + name" has the university monogram as the shield logo. The old logo had a cross. Doesn't have to mean they took the cross away "on purpose" or are "rejecting the cross" or whatever. Probably their primary logo should have some deliberate nod to the name of the university, as per the monogram. But, it's interesting.

To an extent, Valpo was the model for this decision by Holy Cross. We dropped the fighting crusader cartoonish logo and replaced it with a shield with a torch in the rebranding effort a few years ago. What VU did not do was redifine the meaning of "crusader" as did HC. We also did not "retire" the knight mascot.

historyman

I'm almost afraid to say it but the non-action on the Valpo Crusader mascot seems to be more of the student-body being more apathetic towards athletics than not really caring about offending other religious groups.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

As a historic German Lutheran school, how about a giant soft pretzel as the mascot?

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 16, 2018, 04:36:58 PM
As a historic German Lutheran school, how about a giant soft pretzel as the mascot?
The truth is that historically the pretzel is most commonly linked to Catholic monks who used the soft dough double twisted into two cross sections and washed in "soda" or lye bakery treat as an incentive for children to learn their prayers. Good for Notre Dame but does Valpo want a mascot that only Ben's soft prets would be happy about. 

talksalot

Quote from: bbtds on July 16, 2018, 10:12:39 PMmascot that only Ben's soft prets would be happy about. 

would they make me say "Have a Pretzel Day" at the end of the game???  Pullease.

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on July 19, 2018, 04:39:20 PM
Quote from: bbtds on July 16, 2018, 10:12:39 PMmascot that only Ben's soft prets would be happy about.

would they make me say "Have a Pretzel Day" at the end of the game???  Pullease.

Talksalot on PA: FINAL SCORE, Crusaders 88, Northern Iowa 79, That makes it a double pretzel night for all fans who take their ticket stub to Ben's Soft Pretzels because the Crusaders have scored a double pretzel. Go to Ben's Soft Pretzels and Have a Pretzel Day!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUGrad1314

That would be an awesome promotion! It would work on whatever  level you choose for free pretzels.

If the Crusaders' point total has an 8 in it win or lose: 2 for 1 pretzels

If the Crusaders score at least 80 points and win: free pretzels

If they score exactly  88 and win: 2 free pretzels

Or something along those lines

Valid for Home Games Only  Redeemable only with ticket stub prior to the next Crusader home game This might boost attendance.

VUGrad1314

Or how about a promotion with Culver's that promises a free scoop of ice cream with every Crusader home win? Excludes Flavor of the Day\Concretes\Sundaes Redeemable only with ticket stub prior to the next Crusader home game. If both this and my Ben's idea are in play, maybe let the patrons choose the one they'd rather have or come up with a system (hole punch for one stamp for the other, or a mark with a marker)

Another idea I have is if the Crusaders score a double number like 66 77 88, patrons can bring their ticket stubs to McDonald's for a free McDouble win or lose. Again valid with ticket stub prior to next home game.

If we want to expand our reach throughout the region, we should call out to see if restaurants in local towns\cities to see if they would like to participate. This would give us an excuse to advertise and market the team somehow in their store by putting up signage about the promotion, having the restaurants list themselves as a proud partner of the Valparaiso Crusaders, and would allow us to put out pocket schedules in these places for interested parties\to drum up interest in the program.

We could also potentially partner with Albanese if we want to try to expand our reach beyond Valparaiso\Porter County. Gummis are fairly cheap there, like $3-4\pound so maybe a partnership where fans could bring their ticket stubs to Albanese for a free pound of gummis after every Crusader win. Valid with ticket stub only prior to the  next home game.

If they don't want to commit to a full pound promotion we could  make it a half pound promotion for every time the Crusaders go into the locker room with a halftime lead. Bring in your ticket stub and correctly mention the halftime score for a free half pound of Albanese gummis. Valid with ticket stub only prior to the  next home game.

Just some ideas bouncing around my brain  that may boost attendance and interest in the program and allign with our stated interests of deepening our ties with the community and increasing our visibility throughout the region. I'm not sure how many of these have been tried or are even feasible. I'm just spitballing.

crusadermoe

Maybe Family Express could do a promotional price after Valpo wins?  They are spread around the region and I think the owner is a big fan.

valpo64

valpopal

This issue has been discussed in the past, but I am sure nobody is surprised this has now resurfaced, apparently with resolve and commitment. Following the current atmosphere and actions sweeping the country, a determined coalition has now been formed to insist on the removal of the Valparaiso Crusader as the university mascot. The group has established a Facebook page for organization and planning. It declares: "The Crusader nickname and mascot represent war, violence, racism, xenophobia, and forced assimilation—one of the darkest periods of Christian history. As our nation and world face a moment of long overdue reckoning on diversity, equity, and inclusion, we believe our alma mater should take a bold stand and make real change."

valpotx

This cancel culture is going to go too far, and it is going to bite the left in the end.  I've even seen people going after Paw Patrol, because it glamorizes the police force.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on June 25, 2020, 03:41:02 AM
This cancel culture is going to go too far, and it is going to bite the left in the end.  I've even seen people going after Paw Patrol, because it glamorizes the police force.

I mean, I get that it sounds silly. I don't think I've ever seen an episode of Paw Patrol. But, the way police are portrayed in the media matters.

crusadermoe

I find the term "forced assimilation" nearly comically ironic language from this new self-righteous PC group.  In making that claim they should start by studying the practice of Muslims taking a first born from a conquered people as a "blood tax" and forcing them to convert to Muslim and be warriors.   

Doubt me?   Look up the term "Janisarries" by google and cut through the new politically correct polishing of the the CENTRAL TRUTH.  These kids were taken from Christian peasant famlies and forcibly converted.  If you can find me a case where that was done by conquering Christians with Muslim kids, then point out the cite and I will seriously consider myself better educated on this topic. 

Oh...and by the way....before I forget...there have been a few violent Muslim acts and forcible repression of women that continues through TODAY.   Might that supression of women be brought forward by this group at a VU discussion forum at some time soon?  Allow for the pro and con debate of who suppresses whom?

valpotx

Quote from: agibson on June 26, 2020, 05:54:46 PM

I mean, I get that it sounds silly. I don't think I've ever seen an episode of Paw Patrol. But, the way police are portrayed in the media matters.

It's a kid's show, with dogs of various occupations.  Come on, man...

http://www.pawpatrol.com/
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpopal on June 24, 2020, 08:16:31 PM
This issue has been discussed in the past, but I am sure nobody is surprised this has now resurfaced, apparently with resolve and commitment. Following the current atmosphere and actions sweeping the country, a determined coalition has now been formed to insist on the removal of the Valparaiso Crusader as the university mascot. The group has established a Facebook page for organization and planning. It declares: "The Crusader nickname and mascot represent war, violence, racism, xenophobia, and forced assimilation—one of the darkest periods of Christian history. As our nation and world face a moment of long overdue reckoning on diversity, equity, and inclusion, we believe our alma mater should take a bold stand and make real change."

Valpo is a damaged ship taking on water in the midst of a turbulent sea, while changing captain's in hopes of keeping it afloat. The very survival of this magnificent vessel and its entire staff is at risk. While the rest of the staff is desperately bailing and patching and bailing, somewhere deep in the ship's bowels the social director is organizing a group of disconcerted shipmates to leverage the new captain into changing the ship's name to something that better tickles their fancy. Stay tuned to see how it turns out!

usc4valpo

We are in the middle of a pandemic, we have riots, 10s of millions are unemployed, and there is a discussion about removing the mascot. Don't you think we have bigger issues that changing a university mascot? Seriously?
I think we need to get our priorities straight.

valpo95

Quote from: valpotx on June 28, 2020, 12:32:28 AM
Quote from: agibson on June 26, 2020, 05:54:46 PM

It's a kid's show, with dogs of various occupations.  Come on, man...

http://www.pawpatrol.com/

As a dad with two daughters (aged 4 and 8) who like Paw Patrol, I've never had an issue with the show. I have seen many episodes, and never thought much of it. From what I've heard, there are two objections:  One of the characters is named Chase. He is a police pup, and it supposedly portrays the police as honest, loyal and helpful. Second, in every episode, there is some sort of issue/disaster/problem, and the Paw Patrol comes to the rescue. Sometimes they foil the villain, Mayor Humdinger of the neighboring town and his Kitten Catastrophe Crew . "Whenever there's trouble, just yelp for help!" is the show's tagline, and the Paw Patrol pups and their related vehicles come to save the day. It is sad that positive portrayals of the police, or calling emergency services for help have somehow become political statements, but it is where we are today.

crusadermoe

WH nailed it.  Deep in the bowels apart from the captain's reality.

What better time to topple and pull down your history, heritage, or symbols in the spirit of Rahm Emmanuel.  As we know Rham served Obama as chief of staff at the depth of the  2009 financial crisis.  He said, "never let a crisis go to waste" (to socialize the economy starting with health care.)     

wh

Quote from: crusadermoe on June 29, 2020, 04:56:24 PM
WH nailed it.  Deep in the bowels apart from the captain's reality.

What better time to topple and pull down your history, heritage, or symbols in the spirit of Rahm Emmanuel.  As we know Rham served Obama as chief of staff at the depth of the  2009 financial crisis.  He said, "never let a crisis go to waste" (to socialize the economy starting with health care.)     

These individuals are trying to "catch the wave" of national dissonance and anarchy and leverage it for their own purpose. If anyone else is clamoring for a name change right now, I certainly haven't heard of it.  I have 2 HS grandsons (cousins) considering Valpo's Engineering program. They are bright, serious-minded young men. Believe me, the last thing they or their parents are thinking about is the name of the mascot.