• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ryan Broekhoff in the NBA

Started by valpotx, May 11, 2019, 04:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

It is about time that he had his own consistent thread for information to post, similar to Peters!

https://www.mavs.com/ryan-broekhoff-sharpshooter/
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpospartan

I don't understand the NBA, or the Maverick's in particular:
They needed 3 pt. shooters, so they signed Rowdy, who was a well known sharp shooter, who also had other skills - defense & rebounding. THEN THEY ONLY PLAYED HIM IN 42 GAMES.  This year they only won 33 games and only averaged 34% from behind the arc. Rowdy topped the team (except for a guy who only attempted 11) at over 40%.  YET HE ONLY PLAYED IN 42 GAMES.    :crazy:

nkvu

Quote from: valpospartan on May 11, 2019, 10:08:58 PM
I don't understand the NBA, or the Maverick's in particular:
They needed 3 pt. shooters, so they signed Rowdy, who was a well known sharp shooter, who also had other skills - defense & rebounding. THEN THEY ONLY PLAYED HIM IN 42 GAMES.  This year they only won 33 games and only averaged 34% from behind the arc. Rowdy topped the team (except for a guy who only attempted 11) at over 40%.  YET HE ONLY PLAYED IN 42 GAMES.    :crazy:

Simple. Rowdy doesn't jump out of the gym or break ankles with his cross over. Nothing spectacular in his game. No drama. No hype coming out of college. Not some exotic European phenom. All he does is make shots, get hustle rebounds and loose balls,  play solid team defense, and make his teammates better. The more he plays the better he gets and the more he contributes. Afraid it's going to take some time for nba teams to realize he can be a valuable contributor. Just hope Dallas or some other team figures it out soon.

valpotx

Yes, his time was much more consistent over the last 1-2 months, after that trade opened up more PT for him.  He did what he needed to do with that time, and I do hope that he is back with the Mavs.  They will take their usual chances at signing a big name to pair with Luka and Porzingis, and Rowdy is a great value at $1.7m.  Rowdy will get scooped up by another NBA team, if the Mavs are dumb enough to let him walk.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Congrats to Rowdy and his wife on the new baby boy!  The Mavs tweeted out a congrats:

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1140750636188938240
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpotx on June 18, 2019, 01:38:38 AM
Congrats to Rowdy and his wife on the new baby boy!  The Mavs tweeted out a congrats:

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1140750636188938240

I like little announcements like this that let you get to know the players better as people. In Chicago, the Bears always seem to do a good job personalizing the players, doing things to give back to the community, especially doing things with kids.

valpotx

I believe that as of 12 am this morning, Rowdy's contract is now guaranteed, so he is officially an NBA player for another season!  Now, it just depends on the moves that the Mavs make, if he stays with Dallas, or is shipped into another deal or salary dump.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on June 29, 2019, 01:58:45 AM
I believe that as of 12 am this morning, Rowdy's contract is now guaranteed, so he is officially an NBA player for another season!  Now, it just depends on the moves that the Mavs make, if he stays with Dallas, or is shipped into another deal or salary dump.

I heard a rumor that Broekhoff was actually discovered on an un-aired episode of Shark Tank where Mark Cuban had partied too much the night before and thought the inventor had said "would you like a white Russian from Australia named like a double Dutch clutch." Cuban thought he was buying an alcoholic drink.

valpo84

Ryan hit his first 3 of the 2019-20 season last night in Cleveland.  Thought I would bring this data over from another thread.  Another interesting note from last night, the Cavs-Mavs game had 2 players coached by Bryce Drew -- Darius Garland (Cavs) and Rowdy.  It would have had 2 Australian Boomers Olympic players, but Delly was out last night.

Final 2018-19 Season stats and rankings of Valpo NBA players scoring:

Bryce  1081 (34 gms, 118 rookie year)
John Janisch  734
Milt Schoon  616
Bob Dille    296
Ryan Broekhoff 167 (42 games)
Alec Peters  82 (20 games)
Don Bielke 14

A second similar year will likely move him past Bob Dille.  He would need a greater role in 19-20 to pass Schoon and Janisch, but 8 ppg over 70 games would have him closing in on Bryce.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpotx

He had been hurt since the preseason, so it was good to see him get a few minutes.  His 3 was clean, and that is what he needed to do, to show that he can again contribute quickly in potential limited minutes.
"Don't mess with Texas"

swiftmutiny

In 12 minutes of play, Ryan went 3/3 from 3 tonight and picked up 4 rebounds and an assist in a... checks notes... 142-94 blowout of Golden State.  :o

Box Score

oklahomamick

Rowdy wasn't even suited up on Monday night against the Spurs.  Glad he does well when given the opportunities.  I miss watching him and his teammates play at Valpo.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

He did what he needed to do.  His preseason really hurt his playing chances up to this point.  He was battling an injury, and did not shoot well at that point.  In the very limited minutes he has seen now, he is showing that he can contribute points in short minutes, as needed.  I hope to see his role expand to at least 5 mpg, so we will see.
"Don't mess with Texas"

M

He was cooking in the 4th quarter of that blowout win yesterday!  (Every game that passes I get more and more excited that I put money down on Doncic to win MVP)

vu84v2

Ryan came in last night after Porzingis fouled out (Doncic is out with an injury). They needed an additional three point shooter in the last minute to try to rally. Ryan came in and hit his only three, drew a foul shooting a three, and hit two of three free throws (all in one minute of play). Note that he now leads the NBA in three point shooting for players that have had more than one attempt from three point range (83.3% on six attempts).

valpotx

Rowdy getting some good run in the second quarter against the 76ers!  He has played the entire quarter (5 minutes left), and has 8 points on 3/5, 2/4 (3 pt) shooting, with 1 rebound.  Give the man some consistent run Carlisle!!!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

He ended up playing the entire 2nd quarter, but now 3/7 & 2/5 (3 pt).  He had two tough shots go in and out, so I think that he will still get some minutes in the second half. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Nice to see him get some minutes. The more minutes he plays the better he gets.

vu84v2

18 minutes total for the game, 8 pts, 2-5 from three point range.

He now leads the NBA in three point field goal percentage for players with more than 10 attempts (7-11, 64%). Interestingly, the next two are also Mavericks' reserves (Lee and Berea).

valpotx

He needs to play more than Courtney Lee, going forward.  Rowdy was the odd man out for several games on the active roster, where Lee was probably the last man in.  Lee sucks, and is extremely overpaid.  Barea is a Dallas Mavericks icon, and should also get more PT Than Lee.
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

nice 35-footer at the buzzer ending the first quarter last night.  I'll give Oren credit for the minutes... he just interviewed the coach a few days ago...

valpopal

Not a good start to the new year for Rowdy. He is declared out indefinitely today due to a broken fibula.  :(

nkvu

Quote from: valpopal on January 01, 2020, 07:36:51 PM
Not a good start to the new year for Rowdy. He is declared out indefinitely today due to a broken fibula.  :(

Hate to hear this.