• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 25, 2013, 08:58:25 PMWatching ASU-MQ and Richie hasn't seen the floor in the first half.  Ouch.
davidchadwicknoddingsadly.gif
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Who the heck is Alec Peterson?  He is listed on this normally reliable website for past Valpo players.  Maybe they confused him with Alec Peters??

http://basketball.usbasket.com/team/Valparaiso_University/758?Page=4
"Don't mess with Texas"

hoopfan22

Slightly off topic here. A former player(I won't say his name but i'm sure some of you have read the rant) took to Facebook to voice his displeasure with not being able to get a free ticket to attend a game anymore. Apparently former players have been told that if they want to attend an occasional game, they have to pay like everyone else. No more freebies. I don't have an opinion on this either way as I see both sides of the coin. You want to come back? Support the program like us fans...........or........this is a slap in the face to those who've put in the work to represent the program. What are your thoughts on this?

a3uge

Quote from: hoopfan22 on November 27, 2013, 11:54:52 AM
Slightly off topic here. A former player(I won't say his name but i'm sure some of you have read the rant) took to Facebook to voice his displeasure with not being able to get a free ticket to attend a game anymore. Apparently former players have been told that if they want to attend an occasional game, they have to pay like everyone else. No more freebies. I don't have an opinion on this either way as I see both sides of the coin. You want to come back? Support the program like us fans...........or........this is a slap in the face to those who've put in the work to represent the program. What are your thoughts on this?

They should get a discount that is some variable to the amount of minutes the player played per game. Anyone transferring out does not get the discount (LOOKING AT YOU BRANDON WOOD).

valpotx

I think that they should have to pay just like everyone else, unless they were invited by the Athletics Department for some type of event.  You received a free education (unless they were a walk-on), and now you want free games?  I understand trying to encourage them to come back, but I wouldn't mind paying to see any baseball games whenever I come back to Valpo (even though they are free).
"Don't mess with Texas"

hoopfan22

I bet Brandon Wood doesn't pay to go to any MSU games.

hoopfan22

To clarify, I don't think they were asking to go to every game free. One maybe a year or every other year.

wh

I don't have any experience as a collegiate athlete, but here's what my high school did.  Every senior (male and female) who earned a letter in any sport received a 1-year athletic pass for the following school year.  It was good for free admission to any athletic event.  The passes were awarded at the various sports banquets. After that everyone was on their own. Truthfully, I don't think they were ever used much.  The only exception was for athletic hall of fame members, who were awarded lifetime passes. 

valpospartan

Quote from: hoopfan22 on November 27, 2013, 01:38:09 PM

I would be shocked if BW ever went to a Michigan State game.

valpotx

Quote from: valpospartan on November 27, 2013, 10:33:54 PM
Quote from: hoopfan22 on November 27, 2013, 01:38:09 PM

I would be shocked if BW ever went to a Michigan State game.

Probably hard to do from Eastern Europe lol
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

Ritchie is playing well in the ASU vs Creighton game on ESPN2 tonight.    Probably had 7 points in the first half.

valpopal

Congratulations and good luck to Erik Buggs on signing to play pro ball in Switzerland! (It looks like he will be playing on the same team with Cory Johnson.)

bbtds

Cory Johnson's team in the Swiss League is Massagno. One of nine teams in their top league. I noticed another player in the Swiss "A" League for Neuchatel is Quinton Day who played at UMKC through 2006-07.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Switzerland/Energy_Investments_Massagno/1428?Page=0

valpotx

Congrats Buggs!  He will have a good pro career, as speed at the PG position can keep you around for years
"Don't mess with Texas"

drewsaders11

Congrats to Erik Buggs! One of the most selfless, hard-working basketball players I have ever seen.

talksalot

Interesting reading...thanks for the link, bbtds.  I see Buggsy moved over to this team after 4 games with Team Monaco 7.5 ppg, 3.8 assists and 4 rebounds pergame .... and he is on the same team with Corey Johnson.... who appears to be one of the stars of the team; even if they are 2-9 on the year and 1 game out of the basement.  Details on this Massagno:   Massagno has a population (as of December 2012) of 5,942. As of 2008, 38.6% of the population are resident foreign nationals.  This is a "suburb" or "region" of Lugano, which is right on the Italian border.  SwissAir will fly you round Trip from Chicago for a mere $1,264 over 17 hours connecting through Amsterdam and Zurich, if you are interested in watching to of Valpo's European alumni ...  Oh Santa!?

valpopal

I feel sorry for the kid:

AILING ROSSI LEAVES IWU BASKETBALL

BLOOMINGTON — Alex Rossi has terminated his junior season with the Illinois Wesleyan basketball team after four games.

Rossi, who had previously played with Division I programs Valparaiso and California, had been impressive in a Titan uniform but had not played since Nov. 23 because of an abdominal strain.

"My body is not in a place really I feel comfortable playing right now," Rossi said Saturday. "It's been four years of struggling to play, and my body just keeps getting worse. I really just want to do my rehab and be healthy."

Rossi had scored 44 points and grabbed nine rebounds in four Wesleyan games. He shot 57 percent both overall and from 3-point range (8 of 14).

"Alex has been concerned he was not physically able to make it through a college season," Wesleyan coach Ron Rose said. "He feels like this is the best time to step away....

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/ailing-rossi-leaves-iwu-basketball-team/article_829bcb7e-5f94-11e3-be92-0019bb2963f4.html

LaPorteAveApostle

Poor kid--I can't imagine.

I mean, sure, "he'll live", but to have something you love taken away from you...I remember when Chris Barron (lead singer of the Spin Doctors) was told he'd never be able to sing again (he can now), but thinking, what do you do with a life that is suddenly missing its biggest part?

Good thing he's such a bright kid there's a solid future.  And a GREAT thing he wasn't added to the list headed by Hank Gathers! 

But it's still hard.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Kudos to the Valpo coaching staff and training staff for seeing the situation for what is eventually turned out to be. I don't blame Alex for giving it a go but the notion that a lower division would be easier on the body is just a fantasy. At least it wasn't less stressful enough for Rossi's body.

My sincere prayer for Alex is that he is extremely successful in his career and can possibly show up at Valpo as an opposing coach or join the coaching staff at Valpo. That is one way to stay active in something you love.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Sad to see, and I wish him the best
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on December 10, 2013, 09:04:34 AM
I feel sorry for the kid:

AILING ROSSI LEAVES IWU BASKETBALL

BLOOMINGTON — Alex Rossi has terminated his junior season with the Illinois Wesleyan basketball team after four games.

Rossi, who had previously played with Division I programs Valparaiso and California, had been impressive in a Titan uniform but had not played since Nov. 23 because of an abdominal strain.

"My body is not in a place really I feel comfortable playing right now," Rossi said Saturday. "It's been four years of struggling to play, and my body just keeps getting worse. I really just want to do my rehab and be healthy."

Rossi had scored 44 points and grabbed nine rebounds in four Wesleyan games. He shot 57 percent both overall and from 3-point range (8 of 14).

"Alex has been concerned he was not physically able to make it through a college season," Wesleyan coach Ron Rose said. "He feels like this is the best time to step away....

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/ailing-rossi-leaves-iwu-basketball-team/article_829bcb7e-5f94-11e3-be92-0019bb2963f4.html
Sad to hear this.  Wish him well in his future.

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpospartan

Just a dirty darn shame.  Get well Alex.

zvillehaze

Quote from: valpo84 on December 10, 2013, 01:52:57 PM
Thoughts and prayers for Alex.

I'll second this.  I fully understand the frustration that comes with recurring injuries.  I have a kid who had two shoulder surgeries (both shoulders a year apart), went through two 6 to 9 month rehabs, only to get hurt again the first week of practice and miss an entire senior season this year.  Could redshirt and come back, but has had enough and is ready to move on.  I'm sure Alex feels the same way after what he's been through.  Best of luck to him in his future and God bless.