• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Kent game

Started by covufan, November 16, 2012, 07:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

88-83 OT victory. What a game from Kevin. I don't have the numbers in front of me and KSU's live stats are not my favorite, but he had something like 20+ points, near perfect free throw shooting, and the bucket that got us into OT in the first place!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

We escaped with a very ugly win.  Give credit to them for tying it at the end of regulation, and I wonder if that was in fact an attempted miss by Buggs.  If it was, he played that perfectly with a high bounce off the rim lol.

We still looked really bad and almost HS-like in stretches of really dumb fouls and turnovers, but the win is all that matters in the end.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Great gutsy game, especially by Kevin and the injured Erik Buggs!

agibson

Erik Buggs - taking over at the end of regulation!  And into OT.  Fantastic effort from a player we didn't even expect to see on the court.

And KVW, my goodness.  Thinking only of the end, how many minutes did he play with four fouls?!

Excellent _quality_ streaming video.  The camera work was questionable.  And, the broadcasters, oh my...

govalpogo

Well...a tip-in away from 2-2, yet only a three away from 4-0.  Let's call it karma to be sitting at 3-1. 

I'll take any manner of win early on, let them get prettier as the season progresses!

valpotx

Any word on why Rossi didn't play?  With all the fouls both teams had, KSU had a big advantage in playing 12 people versus our 8.  You would think if Rossi was healthy, he would have played...
"Don't mess with Texas"

lowposter

Great road win!   

It will be a good ride home.

Hopefully a day off tomorrow for the team.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on November 18, 2012, 03:26:51 PMand I wonder if that was in fact an attempted miss by Buggs.

Luke Gore says nope, not intentional.

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on November 18, 2012, 03:26:51 PM
We escaped with a very ugly win.  Give credit to them for tying it at the end of regulation, and I wonder if that was in fact an attempted miss by Buggs.  If it was, he played that perfectly with a high bounce off the rim lol.

We still looked really bad and almost HS-like in stretches of really dumb fouls and turnovers, but the win is all that matters in the end.

I think you're being a little hard on the performance.  This was a very solid team we were playing and the refs made it more ugly than the play with all the fouls called. If I'm not mistaken there were over 70 FT attempts.  Anyway, a good resume builder. This KSU team will contend for the MAC championship and should win some additional games before their conference games begin.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on November 18, 2012, 03:35:24 PM
Quote from: valpotx on November 18, 2012, 03:26:51 PMand I wonder if that was in fact an attempted miss by Buggs.

Luke Gore says nope, not intentional.
Having seen a few intentional misses, I'm fairly certain that wasn't one.  There were 7 seconds left, it's well within reason they wanted to make it and press the inbounds, trying for a steal.

Smj

Yikes - could have gone either way...   Kevin looked great.   we had a couple things that went our way at the end of regulation.   Hope we don't rely on that going forward.   We had the lead the entire time and let them chip away to get back into it.   (luckily we missed that free throw - not intentional but thought it was funny that announcers gave Buggs that much credit on his free throw ability)...   All in all we looked good - play like that would have killed nebraska.

Rossi can lose his guy on defense - maybe the athletic ability of kent worried bryce.

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on November 18, 2012, 03:43:52 PM
Quote from: valpotx on November 18, 2012, 03:26:51 PM

I think you're being a little hard on the performance.  This was a very solid team we were playing and the refs made it more ugly than the play with all the fouls called. If I'm not mistaken there were over 70 FT attempts.  Anyway, a good resume builder. This KSU team will contend for the MAC championship and should win some additional games before their conference games begin.

I know that Kent State will contend for the MAC title, but that doesn't mean we didn't escape with an ugly win.  Did you watch the game on the stream?  If you did, you would have seen some really ugly turnovers (20 total by us), and some really dumb fouls where they would pump fake, and we would bite EVERY time.  For a veteran/older team, you would expect that they wouldn't bite each time, or commit so many fouls at the 3 pt line or beyond near half-court.

Again, we did well enough to win, but it wasn't of the type we want to see later in the year.  We have to cut down on the turnovers, as the quicker teams will only make it worse for us.  KVW did an excellent job at the line and didn't miss any lay-ups, and Buggs really impressed while recovering from an injury that almost kept him out.  Is that a career high 15 pts too?
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

I know that Kent State will contend for the MAC title, but that doesn't mean we didn't escape with an ugly win.  Did you watch the game on the stream?  If you did, you would have seen some really ugly turnovers (20 total by us), and some really dumb fouls where they would pump fake, and we would bite EVERY time.  For a veteran/older team, you would expect that they wouldn't bite each time, or commit so many fouls at the 3 pt line or beyond near half-court.

Again, we did well enough to win, but it wasn't of the type we want to see later in the year.  We have to cut down on the turnovers, as the quicker teams will only make it worse for us.  KVW did an excellent job at the line and didn't miss any lay-ups, and Buggs really impressed while recovering from an injury that almost kept him out.  Is that a career high 15 pts too?

Refs were calling everything so some of those would not be a call in a normal game...

vubballfan10

Quote from: agibson on November 18, 2012, 03:28:15 PMErik Buggs - taking over at the end of regulation!  And into OT.  Fantastic effort from a player we didn't even expect to see on the court. And KVW, my goodness.  Thinking only of the end, how many minutes did he play with four fouls?! Excellent _quality_ streaming video.  The camera work was questionable.  And, the broadcasters, oh my...

I've never heard broadcasters criticize the refs SO much as the Kent State broadcasters did.  While there were a lot of fouls, they were evenly distributed between both teams, so the refs were calling it tight on both ends.

Smj

QuoteI've never heard broadcasters criticize the refs SO much as the Kent State broadcasters did. While there were a lot of fouls, they were evenly distributed between both teams, so the refs were calling it tight on both ends.

I just thought the refs stopped the flow of the game.   Broadcasters were annnoying about Kevin still being in the game though.   It was like they felt there should be a time limit on how long he could play with 4 fouls.   He stepped back quite often to avoid that 5th foul.

letsgovu

thought that the announcers weren't as bad as some have been in the past except for the fact that they didn't seem to know they were still live on the feed during tv time outs.  They did give props to our players occasionally which was nice.  I understand their frustration over the refs.  I haven't seen that many fouls called on us in a while but as others have said, it was pretty even.  Loved that we hung in there and didn't give up. 

valpofan11

Great comeback by the Crusaders!!! Though we didn't play great  :(, we still won ;D! Can someone give me a video link of Kevin's putback or just the highlights of the game? I wasn't able to watch the game today.

Smj

Quote from: valpofan11 on November 18, 2012, 04:29:24 PMGreat comeback by the Crusaders!!! Though we didn't play great :(, we still won ;D! Can someone give me a video link of Kevin's putback or just the highlights of the game? I wasn't able to watch the game today.
You missed a fun end to a game...   I would like to see the video again as well.   I just setup Sports center to DVR tonight because I think this deserves a highlight.  (Game play like that would have beat Nebraska)

valpotx

Quote from: letsgovu on November 18, 2012, 04:26:32 PM
thought that the announcers weren't as bad as some have been in the past except for the fact that they didn't seem to know they were still live on the feed during tv time outs.  They did give props to our players occasionally which was nice.  I understand their frustration over the refs.  I haven't seen that many fouls called on us in a while but as others have said, it was pretty even.  Loved that we hung in there and didn't give up. 

Haha, yes, noticed that quite a bit.  Especially the studio guy saying, 'leaving it with you, because I have to go to the bathroom'  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

truth219

Personally, I think valpo is just average at best. At least so far. Bogan, boggs, kenney, and coleman are all the same style and equally talented. They are all role players but not anything to get excited about. I don't understand why rossi doesn't get more playing time. He is a legit scorer. Rowdy has not been impressive this year. Kvw and buggs have carried this team so far.

wittynamehere

I'm thinking Kenny needs to be starting and Rossi needs some of Bogg's mins.
If the kid is healthy I'd like to see how he does.  He was a high major recruit who's sole reason for not playing for the 1st 2 yrs was an injury.   He was regarded as one of the top shooters in the nation in HS and played in the NBA top 100 camp.  If we're gonna struggle and more so, if BB isn't going to produce on O then when not play Rossi?   Again, assuming he's healthy.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: letsgovu on November 18, 2012, 04:26:32 PM

it seemed to me that it was an audio feed patched across the video stream. either way, they were not aware (or didn't care) that the web stream did not cut the audio like their broadcast did.

Valpo2010

Quote from: wittynamehere on November 18, 2012, 04:53:32 PM
I'm thinking Kenny needs to be starting
Didn't we have this discussion last year?  Kenny does not perform well in a starting role...he just works better off the bench

valpopal

Quote from: truth219 on November 18, 2012, 04:36:00 PM
Rowdy has not been impressive this year.

Funny comment from a first-time poster! Rowdy is averaging 14.0 points and 8.7 rebounds (in 26.7 minutes per game) for the opening three games, (nearly a double-double), which includes the Nebraska game where his time was limited by foul trouble. Last year, when he was the conference player of the year, Rowdy averaged 14.9 points and 8.5 rebounds (in 32.6 minutes per game). You must be difficult to impress.

StlVUFan

Quote from: Smj on November 18, 2012, 04:32:59 PM
Quote from: valpofan11 on November 18, 2012, 04:29:24 PMGreat comeback by the Crusaders!!! Though we didn't play great :(, we still won ;D! Can someone give me a video link of Kevin's putback or just the highlights of the game? I wasn't able to watch the game today.
You missed a fun end to a game...   I would like to see the video again as well.   I just setup Sports center to DVR tonight because I think this deserves a highlight.  (Game play like that would have beat Nebraska)
I wouldn't hold my breath.