• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Record Watch

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, November 24, 2012, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on January 19, 2013, 10:25:34 PMI'm confused.  You overwrote the _title_ of the previous post

I overwrote everything.  Sorry.

I'll go back and repost a saved version.  Mea maxima culpa.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on January 19, 2013, 10:18:30 PM
For those not at the game, we recognized the 1972-73 Team as winners of the conference championship (to the NCAA college division, win over Capital's Crusaders in round 1)... one of the guys on that time....  John Wolfenberg, who is the next person Rowdy passes on the career points list.  and a big thanks to the Vu Archives staff for getting all of those great shots of action from Hilltop.

Back during the 1972-73 season the PA announcer was a guy named Kenneth Korby. He was a bald guy with a thick black mustache. He had a voice like Norman Nagel (the dean of the chapel) but without the Australian accent. He was also part of the theology department at Valpo. Kenneth was pretty straight forward in his PA announcing. When he announced the line-ups and gave the scoring plays and fouls there was no inflection in his voice he just announced everything plainly so everyone could understand him. After all he was a member of Valpo's theology department and that was a serious time for theology in the Lutheran Church.

I remember the game that clinched the conference for Valpo. It was actually a tie for first in the ICC (probably with Evansville) but Valpo had won the bid to the NCAA "college division" tournament by the tie-breaker method. At the end of the game when the conference champion was announced as Valpo, Kenneth Korby started using inflection in his voice and whooping it up. This was a huge deal for Valpo. They announced that John Wolfenberg had won some conference award for points scored or something like that and Kenneth Korby let out the best "JOHN WWWWOOOOLF-ENNNN-BUUUUURG!! I had ever heard up till that time.

Of course now John Bowker is much better at it but remember that was a serious time at Valpo.   ;)

I did find kind of a biograhy of Kenneth Korby and some mentions of his writings on the internet:

http://www.ctsfw.edu/document.doc?id=281

A number of individuals could be cited as contributing to this renewed interest in Loehe
and his influence in the LCMS within the last three decades, but none is more significant
or substantial than Kenneth F. Korby (1924-2006).  Korby graduated from Concordia
Seminary, St. Louis in 1945 and after pastorates in Minnesota and Oregon, he was called
to the department of theology at Valparaiso University in 1958 where he would serve
until 1980. While at Valparaiso, Korby earned a Masters in Sacred Theology from Yale
and in 1976 he obtained a doctorate from Concordia Seminary in Exile for a thesis
entitled The Theology of Pastoral Care in Wilhelm Loehe With Special Attention to the
Function of the Liturgy and the Laity[10]. In 1980, Korby left Valparaiso to serve as
pastor of Chatham Fields Lutheran Church, an African American parish on the south side
of Chicago. Retiring in 1987 and moving to St. Paul, Minnesota, Korby would serve as
vacancy pastor of Zion Lutheran Church until he completely retired from pastoral
ministry and moved to Port Angeles , Washington in 1997. Until he suffered a
debilitating stroke in 2001,

Kenneth Korby died in 2006.

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on January 19, 2013, 10:21:53 PM
Quote from: talksalot on January 19, 2013, 10:18:30 PM
For those not at the game, we recognized the 1972-73 Team as winners of the conference championship (to the NCAA college division, win over Capital's Crusaders in round 1)... one of the guys on that time....  John Wolfenberg, who is the next person Rowdy passes on the career points list.  and a big thanks to the Vu Archives staff for getting all of those great shots of action from Hilltop.

I was a classmate of John's and I'm sure  Bruce was recognized as well.  A great team!

My photo of the players from the 72-73 team being recognized at halftime:

vusupporter

Also tonight, Van Wijk surpassed the minimum 500 field goal attempts for the career FG% chart and is tops in Crusader history at 60.3% (305-506).

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on January 20, 2013, 12:15:50 AMMy photo of the players from the 72-73 team being recognized at halftime:

Do you know which basketball alum from the 1972-73 team is which?

My guess is that John Wolfenburg is the furthest on the left and Tom Haeberle is the 4th from the left (2nd from right).  Wally Schultz always wore thick black glasses (in the days before contact lenses were common) so I'm guessing Wally is 2nd from the left. I'm just not sure about who the other two are. Is one of them Paul Fredlake?

Thanks so much for the picture!

EDIT: Just found something on the internet that names the whole 1972-73 team:

http://www.fanbase.com/Valparaiso-Crusaders-Mens-Basketball-1972-73

Paul Fredlake
Thomas Haeberle
Thomas Hoerl
Jeff Holmes
Dale Lesicki
Milt McGee
Tom Mueller
Joel Oberman
Mark Peters
Wally Schultz
John Semmelhack
John Wolfenberg

vu72

It should have been pretty easy to pick out John as he is/was about 6'11"  None of them look firmiliar to me!  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

I'm not sure which is which... but the 5 names I read last night:

John Wolfenberg
Thomas Haeberle
Thomas Hoerl
Dale Lesicki
Thomas Mueller

Might ask John Mutka of the post-Trib, he covered that team !!  They pre-date my coming to Vu by about 12 months.

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on January 20, 2013, 09:40:47 AM
I'm not sure which is which... but the 5 names I read last night:

John Wolfenberg
Thomas Haeberle
Thomas Hoerl
Dale Lesicki
Thomas Mueller

Might ask John Mutka of the post-Trib, he covered that team !!  They pre-date my coming to Vu by about 12 months.

I remember Coach Purden never called anyone on that team by their first name because there were 3 Toms and 2 Johns. How interesting that all 3 Toms showed up.

RS

I believe going left to right on the photo they are : John Wolfenberg, Dale Lesicki, Tom Hoerl, Tom Haeberle and Tom Mueller.

valpotx

Interesting, as my dad remembers playing against some of those guys in the Crusader Classic when he was at St. Olaf.  He definitely remembers Wolfenberg apparently
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Yes, that was one of the Valpo basketball teams that never lost a Crusader Classic game.

LaPorteAveApostle

Thru We're Officially On a Roll of Rolls 1/23/13  Mascot Still Faceless Et Al.

12.  RB 1,418

Rebounds:
3.  Dan Oppland 782
4.  RB 770

3-pointers:
2. Lubos Barton 244
3. RB 222

Blocked Shots:
5.  Morris Smith 90
6.  RB 87

Steals: EB now #10! (although Porter prosecutors pondering 6 charges of grand theft basketball after tonight...)
10. EB 139
11. Tracy Gipson 138
RB 115

FT%, career:
6.  Rob Cavanaugh 82.5%
7.  RB 280/342 81.9%

FT%, Single-season (min. 75 att): 
1.   Casey Schmidt '93/94, 92.6%
2.  RB 83 for 91 91.7%

Assists: MK now #12! 
4. Jared Loyd 405
5. EB 375
t10. Gipson / MacPherson 316
12. MK 298
20.  Mike Jones 217
RB 215

Free throws made, careerRB with his monster game now vaulted into the conversation...!
10.  Milo Stovall 324
RB 277
KVW 275

3-pt %, career:   
6.  Rob Cavanaugh 42.3%
7.  RB 222/534 41.57%
8.  Casey Schmidt 41.0%
9. Mike Jones 40.88%
10. Brandon McPherson 158/388 40.72%
WB 88/224 39.3%

3-pt%, season RB down to #6
6. Scott Anselm 86-87  46.1%
6. RB 53/115 46.08%

Games, career:  EB now #t6!
T6.  EB & Antti 125
T7.  a bunch of good dudes 124  (Barton-Berdiel-Gomes-Stovall-Sykes)
RB 121
MK 118
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

We are approximately two-thirds of the way through the regular season (21 games to go, 10 more games scheduled), and though the way we are playing we are going to play far more than the one post-season game we are promised, it'd be interested to see what we might do on the season all-times.  Everything, thus figured for 11 games more:

At his current rate, Rowdy would get 533 points for the year; all-time Vern Curtis (66-67) and B-Wood (9-10) are #10 with 565. He'd still be ahead of his last year self (508).

At his current rate, Rowdy would grab 263 boards for the year; that would tie him with Urule (7-8 model) for 9th all time, but still more than a bit behind his last year self (290).

No one is threatening in assists, but after his amazing night Buggs has gone from not threatening the top 10 list to projecting for 56 steals for the year--which would be tied for 5th with Stalin Ortiz (2-3)...two more would leave him alone in 3rd all time.

No one is threatening in field goals or blocks, but Rowdy's 3-pters are on pace for 84, which would be 6th all-time and ahead of Bryce Drew!  (That's freshman Bryce, but not soph, jr, or sr.)

Even after his monster night, Rowdy's on pace for 130 FTs, and #10 is 133.  KVW is on for 132.

Guess we'll just have to go deep into it!  But who would have thought that (in terms of totals only; aside from percentages) the most exceptional season we're having is Buggy with steals!

chef

Dan Oppland holds the mark for most combined points and rebounds with 2562. Ryan Broekhoff currently has 2188. He has been averaging close to 30 a game of late. If Valpo gets the 14 games that appear likely, then Broekhoff could very well pass Oppland in his last game in a Valpo uniform.

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 23, 2013, 09:56:31 PMFree throws made, career:  RB with his monster game now vaulted into the conversation...!
10.  Milo Stovall 324
RB 277
KVW 275

Indeed!

They're at just about the same rate on the season, and might both make it.  Of course, a bit of a post-reason run would help, as would picking up the pace slightly.  More games like last night would, naturally, let Ryan do it double time (triple time?).

agibson

Hopefully LaPorte doesn't mind me tossing in an update.  I couldn't handle the suspense!

Through the Feb 1 recovery against Milwaukee.

9.  David Redmon 1,470
10.  RB 1,439

Rebounds: (Rowdy to #3!)
2. Raitis Grafs 841
3. RB 785

3-pointers:
2. Lubos Barton 244
3. RB 226

Blocked Shots:
5. Morris Smith 90
6. RB 87

Steals: (Buggs to #9!)
9. Raitis Grafs 142
9. EB 142
RB 119

FT%, career:
6. Rob Cavanaugh 82.5%
7. RB 283/347 81.6%

FT%, Single Season (Ryan drops back to #4)
1.   Casey Schmidt '93/94, 92.6%
2.  Dick Jones 89.7%
     Casey Schmidt '92/93, 89.7%
4. RB 86 for 96 89.6%

Assists (Rowdy to #20!)
4. Jared Loyd 405
5. EB 379
t10. Gipson / MacPherson 316
12. MK 298
19. Jake Diebler 239
20.  Mike Jones 217
20. RB 217

Free throws made, career:
10.  Milo Stovall 324
KVW 282
RB 280

3-pt %, career:
6.  Rob Cavanaugh 42.3%
7. RB 226/548 41.24%
8.  Casey Schmidt 41.0%
9. Mike Jones 40.88%
10. Brandon McPherson 158/388 40.72%
WB 92/233 39.48%

3-pt%, season (RB out of the top 10)
10. Seth Colclasure 45.2%
RB 57/129 44.2%

Games, career: (EB to #4!)
4. Raitis Grafs 127
4. EB 127
T7.  a bunch of good dudes 124  (Barton-Berdiel-Gomes-Stovall-Sykes)
RB 123
MK 119

FG%, career: (KVW to #1!)
1. KVW 315/525 60.0%
2. Zoran Viskovic 59.5%

FG%, season: (KVW to #4!)
2. Zoran Viskovic, '97/98, 62.9%
3. KVW, '11/12, 153/248, 61.69%
4. KVW, 103/167, 61.68%
5. Zoran Viskovic, '98/99, 60.8%

valpotx

Wow, it looks like Rowdy will be able to catch Raitis in rebounds and Lubos in 3s.  Very impressive!
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

Can you imagine how long it's going to take on Senior Day to read all of those accomplishments...??? Can't Wait!  Tuesday, 2/26... Youngstown would be the last regular season home game...

HC

After this year you will have a 4 year break while we wait for this new big class of incoming freshmen to graduate.

VULB#62

The future.  ???

Rowdy:  I love this kid.  What a great person and what a talented player (Koala, you've got to be proud).  It would be nice to leverage Rowdy's experience here into making Valpo THE place for young Aussies to come to develop their international BB skills.  I've known a few Aussies through business relationships and they are just like him -- smiles start even before hello.  Once he graduates we will miss him deeply.  Let's get another one like him!  (er... impossible.  Maybe kinda similar.)

HC

At the women's game today he took time out and was signing a few autographs and stopped and took a picture with my son.  Great player, even better person! Well done koala!

koala

Thank you so much we are very proud of him as he is a wonderful young man and oh so nice.   We will all miss Valpo so much as it has been such a fantastic place for him to grow as a person and a player, all credit to him and everyone at Valpo.   We arrive soon so we are looking forward to seeing everyone and watching Ryan and the team play live.   You will know who we are, we will be the ones with the big smiles  ;D   

valpopal

Quote from: talksalot on February 02, 2013, 01:31:23 PM
Can you imagine how long it's going to take on Senior Day to read all of those accomplishments... ??? Can't Wait!  Tuesday, 2/26... Youngstown would be the last regular season home game...

Just for fun, I went to the old ValpoFans message board and looked at threads of discussion about Ryan and Kevin when word first leaked out that they might be coming to Valpo, since they were so unknown compared to local recruits. I wasn't a member then, but I do recognize some of the contributors to the conversations.

The thread of speculation on Kevin began in June 2010 and lasted through the summer with folks finding pictures of him on Facebook and trying to guess about his age (at 21), height, or experience, wondering if he'd really be able to get cleared to play in the US. When he was spotted on campus at the bookstore before being cleared, more speculation about his height and weight occurred. There were some comments wondering if he would be another Benjamin Fumey, Paul Guede, or Beas Hamga. The day Kevin was cleared to play, Paul Oren interviewed Kevin and had a perceptive piece that declared he seemed different from others he'd interviewed: "He could be a starter, he might be a Milosevic or Halvorsen. There was just something about his confidence and sense of being on Wednesday that struck me as a player who is ready to contribute...and a player who is ready to work."

The initial thread of speculation on Ryan was even more interesting, especially since he was so young. When a video surfaced, there was a question about the low release of his shot. When he was seen on campus, he was thought to be smaller and very skinny. Koala got on the board and promised to fatten up her son and strength coach Brooks would build Rowdy's muscles. There was even a poll on the board: "Broekhoff: Will He Be a Stinker or a Stud." For the record, there were 10 votes cast, 7 said he would be a "star," 2 said he'd be "average," and 1 said he would be a "stinker." (Anyone want to confess to that last vote?)

As their senior year winds down, I think we can all agree we've been fortunate to have both of them at Valpo, on and off the court.

HC

Came out blurry, but we didn't want to take up more of his time. I about had to lay on the floor to get them both in the photo.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on February 03, 2013, 01:14:20 AMThere was even a poll on the board: "Broekhoff: Will He Be a Stinker or a Stud."

I forgot all about that one!  "Low release point" I remember quite well.