• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Recruiting

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, February 23, 2013, 07:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

StlVUFan

Quote from: jack on June 26, 2013, 01:22:24 PM
Sorry. I forgot the spelling police were lurking. Unfortunately, spell check doesn't work on this site, and the N and M are right next to each other. I'll do my best to spot check for you in the future.
Jack, I think it was meant in fun.  In baseball terms, you served up a cookie right down the heart of the plate and LAA just couldn't let it go by.  It was too juicy.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 27, 2013, 07:58:35 AM
Quote from: vu72 on June 26, 2013, 08:45:27 PMThe other thing to keep in mind is that there is only one D1 school in Minnesota when it comes to basketball.  Now, Indiana obviously has more players but what, 11 D1 teams?
That doesn't mean anything in the current discussion; all that means is kids go elsewhere.

http://blogs.indystar.com/preps/archives/11661
Here's the original article Indy referred to.  According to that KY guy, she's not in the top 25 for her class (juniors) and not in the top 78 of the state (at least).  Eh...those things are just dartboards, pretty much, anyway.  Nobody knows all the players in the next conference over, let alone the whole state.

I think you missed my point (shocking I know  :o) which simply is(I'm trying to help here) that Minnesota may have fewer players (your point) but, because there is only one D1 program in the state a team like Valpo has a shot at some of the best in the state.  Remember that girls don't think so much about a career in basketball but rather to the (perhaps) family atmosphere, religious nature or high academics of Valpo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jack

We picked up 3 for sures, with one being a walk on, with 2 being able to help right away, and one sitting a year. possibly may get one more to help now. The Minn. ladies are a year out.

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, things went from "oh, bleak" to "oblique" to "oh, all right" to "oh, all right!" pretty quickly there.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on June 28, 2013, 06:01:33 AMWe picked up 3 for sures, with one being a walk on, with 2 being able to help right away, and one sitting a year

Help!  What are you saying here?  I know of two for next year and two transfers.  Who is the walk-on?

jack

Not sure of the name. Just what I heard. I suspect she'll be a practice player, but you just never know about these things. My best guess is, we picked up 4 players, with 2 being elgeable emmediately. I've certainly been wrong before.

RS

I may have missed this earlier but in The Times article today about the VU women's BB program it mentioned another recruit for next year. Jasmyn Walker a 5'10 guard from Muskegon MI has verbally committed to VU. Holds schools all time rebounding record after junior year in HS.

sliman

I believe Walker is identified as a class of 2014 recruit.

valpopal

Valpo has reportedly received a verbal commit from Allison Schofield (2015), 5'10" from Heritage Christian High School and AAU Indiana Elite.

http://www.ncsasports.org/womens-basketball-recruiting/in/indianapolis/heritage-christian-school/allison-schofield

LaPorteAveApostle

IndyValpo had that (#168) above.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

That's great!  Excited about Elizabeth Hamlet and now we are up to 11 active bodies for next year.

I mean, this looks pretty good now, especially compared to a couple months ago, right?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdDZ2VW1nNkYzdmVzbVJGYk1OZTYwTkE

LaPorteAveApostle

Interesting, given our prior talk about walk-ons, that it turns out, per Paul Oren in the NWITimes, that Miller is a walk-on herself.  Which is good, because, no offense, I didn't think she sounded like she had the pedigree for a full scholarship.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/elizabeth-hamlet-joins-sister-annemarie-on-valparaiso-women-s-basketball/article_2998f1a3-a663-5330-bef1-6d3e96a86d7e.html

But don't think that I'm losing Faith in the women here.

jack

Great to see we have 11 available this year. Things are looking up! Add to that we have some talent coming in that will certainly help out on the practice squad, and we could see some emmediate improvement this season. Looking at the chart, one thing that sticks out is the 2014 - 2015 season. We could actually be a factor in the HL this season. Another thing I find interesting, and wonder how often this has happened at Valpo - We will only have 1 senior (Carr) on the squad. Anyone know the last time this has happened? May not be as unusual as I'm thinking it is.

IndyValpo

Kudos to the staff for getting us to a workable level for 2013-2014.  With 11 they have a fighting chance. I like adding a senior to the mix.  It will be a struggle with over 60% of points and rebounds gone from last year.

The future definitely looks better than it did two months ago!

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on July 19, 2013, 09:09:55 AMAnother thing I find interesting, and wonder how often this has happened at Valpo - We will only have 1 senior (Carr) on the squad.

Looks like 07-08 Sanna Helenius.

jack

Thanks for the info. I guess it hasn't been that long ago, but I'm guessing it doesn't happen all that frequently at any school either.