• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015-2016 Opponents

Started by valpo4life, March 25, 2015, 05:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

No time to link but Iona fills UCF gap on 15'th. Much other speculation. Go to Iona pro boards for additional detail.

govalpogo

I like the idea of making up for that awful CIT game against Iona...all that aside I think they fit our quality mid major opponent goal quite well. 

Kyle321n

It's official we're playing Iona at the ARC and they also have a game in Corvallis in November. Both are listed as being part of the "Hardwood Classic" so looks like we have our Tourney.

http://www.icgaels.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=14900&SPID=7099&SPSID=64319
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

aevans12

Iona plays at Rhode Island as well.  Could a season tipoff marathon game count in an exempt tourney as well?

justducky

Quote from: Kyle321n on September 14, 2015, 01:22:04 PM
It's official we're playing Iona at the ARC and they also have a game in Corvallis in November. Both are listed as being part of the "Hardwood Classic" so looks like we have our Tourney.

http://www.icgaels.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=14900&SPID=7099&SPSID=64319
I suspect what we have is an exempt tournament attempt that fell short. Looks to me that Oregon State and Valpo were in from the start, Iona was soon on board, and UCF went deep into the negotiations. I hope we get the full story soon.

SanityLost17

Oregon / Oregon St. / Rhode Island / Iona / Belmont / Belmont

Looks like 6 games against teams that could/should be in the top 75 for RPI.  I guess Belmont might be a stretch...not really sure what they return?  Either way, I will take it!  Now we just have to play well!   

covufan

How about a home and home with Wofford?  jj/setshot would like that game.

VULB#62

Why not a series with Wagner?  Mid-major, semi-Lutheran, NYC, previous home of Jay Harris, great view of New York harbor and the Narrows Bridge.  Then pick up Iona as well on that trip for a return game in New Rochelle -- home of Rob Pettrie (Dick VD and Mary Tyler Moore for the younger posters) and, for 4 years, VULB#62. Next year we should beat both in a New York minute  :lol:

ValpoFan

So when will the schedule be released?

justducky

Quote from: ValpoFan on September 14, 2015, 10:31:19 PMSo when will the schedule be released?
We seem to be stuck on 28 games.

Wait! Maybe College Of Faith also has a basketball team!

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

justducky

Quote from: SanityLost17 on September 14, 2015, 06:00:18 PM
Oregon / Oregon St. / Rhode Island / Iona / Belmont / Belmont

Looks like 6 games against teams that could/should be in the top 75 for RPI.  I guess Belmont might be a stretch...not really sure what they return?  Either way, I will take it!  Now we just have to play well!   

Just to wet your appetites College Sports Madness- Men's Basketball Top 144 Previews is now down to #60 with Oregon, Oregon St, and Rhode Island yet to be ranked. Of interest to us they have UWM at#136, Indiana St at#101, Oakland at#92, Belmont at #90, VU at #67, and Iona at #63. Why don't one of you smart young fellows go over and link that?  ???

Kyle321n

Quote from: justducky on September 15, 2015, 03:44:31 PM
Why don't one of you smart young fellows go over and link that?  ???

You can't copy and paste the URL at the top of your browser?

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

I am probably a little more of a realist / pragmatist than others on this website, but I think that this Valpo team looks like a top 40 team in the country. #67 is just too low.

I see a lot of Big 12 basketball. With all of the talent returning plus Bryce's good coaching, my opinion is that this Valpo team would hyopthetically win between 9 and 11 games (inclusively) in the Big 12 (out of 18 games). A team like that would probably be in the top 30 in the country.

govalpogo

I'm all for flying under the radar as much as possible.   Like many, I'm a little concerned about the high expectations and the target on our team's back if we are widely believed to be a top 30 team. I guess it's good that I'm not the one on the court!  Anxiously awaiting the release of the schedule and seeing what this group can do against some solid opponents!

covufan

Quote from: vu84v2 on September 15, 2015, 04:59:42 PMI am probably a little more of a realist / pragmatist than others on this website, but I think that this Valpo team looks like a top 40 team in the country. #67 is just too low.
I think we'll be in the top 40.  But to start the season I'd say that #67 is OK, when using previous season rankings/ratings.  We need to win games to show that we are top 40, but this is the team that could do it!

govalpogo

Looks like Belmont will bookend our December with games on 12/3 @ Valpo and 12/28 @ Belmont.  Looking at the Bruins schedule, they too have major issues scheduling home games: a rousing schedule of Western Kentucky, Lipscomb, and Ouachita Baptist...oh and Valparaiso.    http://www.belmontbruins.com/sports/m-baskbl/2015-16/schedule

justducky

At Ball St Nov 28. Trip to Indiana St still unknown.

Somebody dropped a west coast name months ago that still looks like a theoretical possibility. Don't want to create another jinx like I did with UCF, so for the record that particular name has escaped my memory. Might just be wishful thinking anyway.

jtm

Just FYI, game @ Indiana State slated for December 9, per ISU official schedule page.

Kyle321n

Damn we can basically figure out the schedule from other team's releases. It sure would be nice to finish this up, get a couple 150 RPI games in the ARC and then close this out.

Sun, Nov 15 vs. Iona
Tue, Nov 17 @Rhode Island
Sun,  Nov 22 @Oregon
Tue, Nov 24 @Oregon State
Sat, Nov 28 @Ball State
Thu, Dec 3   vs. Belmont
Wed, Dec 9 @Indiana State
Sat, Dec 19 vs. Missouri State
Mon, Dec 28 @Belmont
Conference schedule starts January 2

That's 27 games right now. We'll probably get a home game between Belmont and ISU and 2 games between ISU and Mizzou St. and one game between Mizzou St. and Belmont. That would be 31 games. There's room I suppose between Rhode Island and Oregon and Ball St. and Belmont, but those aren't long breaks between games. We've got to get at least 1 game before Iona to get to 33 games like last season.

FWalum

Quote from: Kyle321n on September 18, 2015, 09:17:06 AM
FRI, Nov 13 vs. IPFW Thought everyone knew about that one, but I was obviously mistaken
Sun, Nov 15 vs. Iona
Tue, Nov 17 @Rhode Island
Sun,  Nov 22 @Oregon
Tue, Nov 24 @Oregon State
Sat, Nov 28 @Ball State
Thu, Dec 3   vs. Belmont
Wed, Dec 9 @Indiana State
Sat, Dec 19 vs. Missouri State
Mon, Dec 28 @Belmont
Conference schedule starts January 2
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Kyle321n

I forgot about the IPFW game.  Thanks! So that's 4 home non-con games and 9 conference games. The flyer they sent out for season tickets said something about 16 home games, so there needs to be 3 more. Oh look at that, enough room for 3 non-D1 games!

covufan

Quote from: Kyle321n on September 18, 2015, 09:55:57 AM
I forgot about the IPFW game.  Thanks! So that's 4 home non-con games and 9 conference games. The flyer they sent out for season tickets said something about 16 home games, so there needs to be 3 more. Oh look at that, enough room for 3 non-D1 games!
Please, no college of faith!!!!