• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Interview with Hrvoje Vucic

Started by sectionee, July 07, 2011, 09:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowposter

I tend to agree that there needs to be progress shown this year.  Perhaps not 15 pts/8 rb numbers (those would be nice), but at least rotational contributions. 

Take a look at Smith of Butler last year.  He played very little his freshman year, but made very good contributions as a soph.  Granted, there were times he appeared lost (NCAA championship game), but he made solid contributions and will probably be a solid 12pt/7 rb performer this year. 

We hopefully will see that kind of progress this year from Hrvoje.  All indications are that he has made committments in the weight room.
lowposter

FWalum

Quote from: lowposter on July 13, 2011, 07:50:12 AM
I tend to agree that there needs to be progress shown this year.  Perhaps not 15 pts/8 rb numbers (those would be nice), but at least rotational contributions. 

Take a look at Smith of Butler last year.  He played very little his freshman year, but made very good contributions as a soph.  Granted, there were times he appeared lost (NCAA championship game), but he made solid contributions and will probably be a solid 12pt/7 rb performer this year. 

We hopefully will see that kind of progress this year from Hrvoje.  All indications are that he has made committments in the weight room.
lowposter
Absolutely agree. I think his major areas of improvement need to be in the areas of strength and quickness. Hrvoje needs to be able to move quicker laterally and be able to get off the floor much quicker for rebounds and blocking shots. Fortunately, in a young man that size, increased strength often also improves quickness. I expect to see much more playing time for him next year.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on July 13, 2011, 07:27:34 PM
Quote from: lowposter on July 13, 2011, 07:50:12 AM
I tend to agree that there needs to be progress shown this year.  Perhaps not 15 pts/8 rb numbers (those would be nice), but at least rotational contributions.  

Take a look at Smith of Butler last year.  He played very little his freshman year, but made very good contributions as a soph.  Granted, there were times he appeared lost (NCAA championship game), but he made solid contributions and will probably be a solid 12pt/7 rb performer this year.  

We hopefully will see that kind of progress this year from Hrvoje.  All indications are that he has made committments in the weight room.
lowposter
Absolutely agree. I think his major areas of improvement need to be in the areas of strength and quickness. Hrvoje needs to be able to move quicker laterally and be able to get off the floor much quicker for rebounds and blocking shots. Fortunately, in a young man that size, increased strength often also improves quickness. I expect to see much more playing time for him next year.
[/b]

Just think what that means for the team if in fact we can get minutes from Vuc let alone Fernandez.  Last year we started a 6'6" 5, a 6'6 in 4,and.
a 6'3 inch 3 with a 6'8 and 6'6" off the bench.  This year we have Vuc at 7'1", Fernandez at 6'11" and Richie at 6'8"and we can still bring the 6'8" guy off the bench.  We could even go really big and have Rowdy at 6'6" playing the 2 or any such variations.  We will have  much better chance against bigger teams, without a doubt.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

rlh

and don't forget about Van Wijk

lowposter

Lets not get ahead of tape measure here.  While size does matter, quickness is king in the HL.  Lets hope he can provide need rotational contributions.  A big question (no pun intended) is whether he will be able to match up defensively man to man, or if we will need to go zone with him on the floor.

low

Crusader03

I think many of you guys are overestimating what Vashil will bring to the table this year.  What I have read is that he is a project...would not be shocked if he redshirts.