• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2017

Started by covufan, May 11, 2015, 03:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

I like the numbers I see for Markus Golder in 27 minutes per game: 56% FG, 39% 3FG, 81% FT, 19.2 PTS, 6.5 REBS. Also, I can imagine some inventive puns and plays on the name "Golder," especially for a school that has Gold as one of its colors.

VULB#62

https://twitter.com/TheReal_MG3?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

This is Marcus' Twitter feed.

I scrolled it back to November.  He seems to be a very grounded, introspective kid, respectful and a gym rat.  He seems to come back often to "my basketball family" in his posts.  Bet that why he signed with Valpo.

valpopal

Looks like we have another "Alec" / "Alex" "Derrik" / "Derrick" situation. The correct spelling is "Markus" rather than "Marcus."

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on March 02, 2017, 04:14:29 PM
QuoteI talked to one of the asst. coaches at Concordia H S regarding his assessment of Parker Hazen:  he had some good moves close to the bucket but didn't appear to be a big offensive threat or good outside shooter like AP... was not overly impressed with this one game look although overall he thought PH was a better than average player.  I have not seen PH play, but I must say I was surprised by the coach's comments.  But again, this was only a one game evaluation.  Time will tell.  Obviously  PH has impressed many in his past performances and also enough to be named to last year's Indiana State Junior all-star team.  It will be interesting to see how he impresses those choosing this year's Indiana All-Star Team.

That is a little concerning. I knew he wasn't exactly a jump shooter but you'd alway like to hear a few more positive things from a coach. I know the his team is pretty much him and a couple pick up game high school talents out there. I think PH will probably benefit greatly from professional coaching. Never expecting him to AP, but you'd like to see a guy who is 6'7"-6'8" and move around as well as he does for his size have decent jump shot to keep defenders honest. Versatility is always a strength. Coaches can prepare and take opposing players out of the game when they are one dimensional. PH is a pretty athletic and really moves well for guy his height.
I understand the concern, but would not put too much stock in what was said. PH is doing exactly what his coach is asking him to do, play a very traditional 5.  IMO this does not really utilize his skill set, which is more of a Shane Hammink type player. As an example.... Shane does not take the ball out for VU after a made basket. Why, because you want him in a position to receive a mid-court pass so that he can attack the basket or draw the defense so that he can make a cross court pass to once again apply pressure to the defense.  PH appeared to almost always take the ball out, like many 5's do, which means that he is rarely in a position to handle the ball and attack the basket in any kind of break opportunity.  Only once in the Concordia game did he get the ball in the mid-court where he handled the ball well. 

As far as his jump-shot, he was 3-5 from 15-18 ft, miss a 3 and another long 2.  As a 5 he does not get many opportunities to shoot from range and it would be more of a concern to me if he was settling for jump shots when he is able to get to the rim.  The form and mechanics look good, I think that he will develop the shot as he plays a more natural position.  I would not compare him to AP because he is naturally more athletic than AP was at this age.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

QuoteI like the numbers I see for Markus Golder in 27 minutes per game: 56% FG, 39% 3FG, 81% FT, 19.2 PTS, 6.5 REBS. Also, I can imagine some inventive puns and plays on the name "Golder," especially for a school that has Gold as one of its colors.

What I particularly like other then the obvious athleticism, is that 3pt % and that 81% FT%. When you have that type of athleticism and you taking it the hoop your going to get fouled at a decent clip.

Valpo89

Can we suit up Markus this weekend? :)

wh

Great news about Markus!  Congrats to him, and to the entire coaching staff for a job well done!

VU2014

Well a Green Bay fan is already talking smack to our new recruit...

https://twitter.com/packersbest301/status/837838999947444224

He originally tweeted out something about Valpo's going to lose to Green Bay again but then deleted it on Markus' commitment tweet then left a #RP40 tweet, which I had no clue stood for "Relentless Pressure for 40 minutes"

http://wbay.com/2015/10/06/phoenix-players-prepare-for-coach-darners-rp-40-strategy/

M

Hit the block button and move on.....

Mileek played pretty well in a 9 point over Michigan city at City tonight. Tomorrow will probably put him up against Sasha's CP team, assuming they get by Chesterton.

Anyone else see the EC kid Couisinard getting looked at by Kansas?! Kid can really play, only decent offer he has is DePaul.

VU2014

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-local-roundup-st-0304-20170303-story.html

Local roundup: Junior college guard/forward commits to Valparaiso

By: Michael Osipoff
Post-Tribune

Valparaiso on Friday received a verbal commitment from Markus Golder.

The 6-foot-6 guard/forward is averaging 19.3 points and 6.5 rebounds for North Idaho, a junior college with a 25-4 record heading into the postseason. The redshirt freshman also is shooting 56.0 percent (202-for-361) for the Cardinals, including 38.7 percent (24-for-62) from 3-point range.

Golder was an all-state player as a senior in 2015 at Clackamas High, located outside Portland, Oregon.

The Crusaders have been looking for a player similar to senior swingman Shane Hammink, and the athletic Golder could fit that mold.

Give the rest a click/read

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on March 03, 2017, 02:00:46 PM
I like the numbers I see for Markus Golder in 27 minutes per game: 56% FG, 39% 3FG, 81% FT, 19.2 PTS, 6.5 REBS. Also, I can imagine some inventive puns and plays on the name "Golder," especially for a school that has Gold as one of its colors.

So if we recruit a person named Browner. Valpo will have recruited both Browner and Golder. 

valpo64

Parker Hazen had a good game last night scoring 25 points in his team's win.

NativeCheesehead

Golden seems like a nice player. Do we know who was recruiting him out of HS and why he choose the JUCO route? 

valpopal

How would those who have seen both compare Parker to his brother Brachen, who was more highly ranked but is currently a freshman on the end of the bench at Arkansas? I would have liked to see the two paired at Valpo.

vu72

Based on that article he felt that a year at juco could garner him a D1 offer.

The 6-foot-4 forward is being recruited by several colleges, including NCAA Division II Holy Names University in Oakland, California, Western Oregon, Tacoma Community College, Corban University in Salem and Lewis-Clark State College in Lewiston, Idaho.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 04, 2017, 10:26:23 AMGolden seems like a nice player. Do we know who was recruiting him out of HS and why he choose the JUCO route? 
Is this the same Oregon kid mentioned once or twice in the last year or couple years? Maybe grades would explain his JUCO choice but don't know.

One scholarship remaining assuming Kiser gets the other. Looks to me like a red shirted transfer is the way to go. Having 13 players eligible is not the answer. Last year Max, Nick, and Lexus barely saw the floor. Had Derrik not been injured I doubt if he would have played 110 minutes the entire season. Having 3 red shirted transfers (this year) was even worse. You know you are a little thin when you have a walk on playing 26 minutes.  :o

valpotx

Seems like a good replacement for Shane!  I much prefer to have him over what Middleton would have done for us.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

2 scholarships left after the Marcus Golder commitment.

Kiser is going to get one of the 2 scholarships left. You don't start a walk-on in a Conference Tourney game (even with the very short bench) if you are not going to offer him. He was the guy who looked aggressive and really into it tonight and played solid D. There are things to like about Kiser. Not your average walk-on and the coaching staff clearly likes him.

1 more scholarship left. I've heard rumblings of a few guys their recruiting. I'll share after the Conf tourney is over or when we're done with the CBI, CIT or Vegas 16 (maybe NIT).

M

Mileek went double digits tonight in the sectional win over that former recruit!

Also, heard the eC kid I mentioned above has a 1.4 GPA....I thought the ihsaa had rules on gpa (of course what I heard might not be true either, but would explain his less then impressive list of offers).

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on March 05, 2017, 12:10:55 AM

Kiser is going to get one of the 2 scholarships left. You don't start a walk-on in a Conference Tourney game (even with the very short bench) if you are not going to offer him. He was the guy who looked aggressive and really into it tonight and played solid D. There are things to like about Kiser. Not your average walk-on and the coaching staff clearly likes him.

1 more scholarship left. I've heard rumblings of a few guys their recruiting. I'll share after the Conf tourney is over or when we're done with the CBI, CIT or Vegas 16 (maybe NIT).

Why wait to share?  Are there implications or are you just being coy?

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on March 04, 2017, 11:00:31 AM
Based on that article he felt that a year at juco could garner him a D1 offer.

The 6-foot-4 forward is being recruited by several colleges, including NCAA Division II Holy Names University in Oakland, California, Western Oregon, Tacoma Community College, Corban University in Salem and Lewis-Clark State College in Lewiston, Idaho.

Reading his Twitter feed back a year, it is pretty apparent that the JUCO route was precisely that. He's a motivated kid. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 05, 2017, 06:43:30 AM

Why wait to share?  Are there implications or are you just being coy?

2014, please elaborate and help us go positive on a possible recruiting trail.  It's all we got!!!

VULB#62

Including the wasted Middleton one?

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 05, 2017, 01:01:29 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 05, 2017, 12:10:55 AM2 scholarships left after the Marcus Golder commitment. Kiser is going to get one of the 2 scholarships left. You don't start a walk-on in a Conference Tourney game (even with the very short bench) if you are not going to offer him. He was the guy who looked aggressive and really into it tonight and played solid D. There are things to like about Kiser. Not your average walk-on and the coaching staff clearly likes him. 1 more scholarship left. I've heard rumblings of a few guys their recruiting. I'll share after the Conf tourney is over or when we're done with the CBI, CIT or Vegas 16 (maybe NIT).
Including the wasted Middleton one?

I think that one runs out after the current semester.