• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Ohio State Nov. 25 (update: also at Arizona Nov. 7)

Started by valpopal, August 25, 2011, 03:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

As the final schedule comes together, I am hearing that we will be playing at Ohio State on November 25. They could be ranked number 1 at that time.

rlh

I am told they are holding off putting the men's schedule out until the HL announces their TV games.  It might be another couple of weeks before that happens.

DMvalpo18

how would we benefit from playing a game like that?

valpopal

I checked with someone at Ohio State who said they will be in the middle of a busy section of their schedule at the end of November: Jackson State on the 21st, VMI on the 23rd, Valpo on the 25th, and Duke on the 29th. Despite the likely loss, the game will be an early indication of the toughness of our team, and it will help our strength of schedule. It will also serve as a good showcase for Bryce as the new coach and add to the profile of Valpo in the Midwest, which can't hurt with recruiting unless we are really embarrassed.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on August 25, 2011, 05:28:21 PM
I checked with someone at Ohio State who said they will be in the middle of a busy section of their schedule at the end of November: Jackson State on the 21st, VMI on the 23rd, Valpo on the 25th, and Duke on the 29th. Despite the likely loss, the game will be an early indication of the toughness of our team, and it will help our strength of schedule. It will also serve as a good showcase for Bryce as the new coach and add to the profile of Valpo in the Midwest, which can't hurt with recruiting unless we are really embarrassed.
I may be off base here, but I think I recall reading somewhere that beating a respectible Mid Major OOC is better for your RPI and SOS than losing to a top 10 Major.  Maybe someone can shed some light on this...

I guess I'm just not sure getting drummed by a top 10 team does much positive.  The players do seem to get excited about it though, so I guess that's worth something. 

zvillehaze

Winning or losing has nothing to do with your SOS ... playing a top ten team (Major or otherwise) will be better for SOS than playing an average mid-major (100 to 150 RPI).  As for RPI impact, I'll defer to the actuaries on the board.  Better to lose to a top 10 team than beat a 300+ team, but better to beat a top 50 team than lose to a top 10 team.  There's a breakeven point somewhere ... I'm just not smart enough to figure it out.

A game at OSU provides a great experience for your kids, an opportunity to make headlines if you win and major dollars in the bank win or lose.  If the decision was this game or a home game vs. Bethel, the right choice was made.  Good luck!

valpopal

Quote from: zvillehaze on August 25, 2011, 08:28:58 PM
Winning or losing has nothing to do with your SOS ... playing a top ten team (Major or otherwise) will be better for SOS than playing an average mid-major (100 to 150 RPI).  As for RPI impact, I'll defer to the actuaries on the board.  Better to lose to a top 10 team than beat a 300+ team, but better to beat a top 50 team than lose to a top 10 team.  There's a breakeven point somewhere ... I'm just not smart enough to figure it out.

A game at OSU provides a great experience for your kids, an opportunity to make headlines if you win and major dollars in the bank win or lose.  If the decision was this game or a home game vs. Bethel, the right choice was made.  Good luck!

Zvillehaze has it right. "Strength of Schedule" is just what it suggests, how strong the opponents are that you play. Wins or losses matter when you figure the RPI. As I understand it, the formula for the RPI is 25% a team's own winning percentage, 50% average opponents' winning percentage, and 25% average opponents' opponents' winning percentage. There are also adjustments made to account for whether the wins or losses are at home or away. Therefore, the records of opponents and their opponents still figure heavily.

Since OSU would have a very high ranking--as would most of their opponents from the Big Ten, ACC, and elsewhere--that would influence Valpo's RPI favorably. To counter even a loss to a top ten team, one would have to beat a fairly high ranking Mid-Major (such as a rare Mid-Major top 50 team that possesses its own strong non-conference schedule), to which we would have a good chance of losing as well, and a loss to such a team would obviously be worse for the RPI than a loss to OSU.

Heck, OSU owes us something for Jon Diebler, and Jake will certainly enjoy the visit to Ohio!

milanmiracle

Couple of things here...

Strength of schedule only matters if you're chasing an at large bid and two, getting your ____ handed to you doesn't help that cause either. For whatever reason, Valpo likes to schedule the best team in the country year in year out, and the same thing happens time and again.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpopal

This is an interesting placement of the game on the schedule. November 25 is the day after Thanksgiving and the day before the big OSU vs Michigan football game, which is at Michigan this year.

valpotx

I will always be a big proponent of playing top schools, regardless of losing by 20+ points.  It is a big selling point to recruits to say that you get to play a few top teams, rather than saying your schedule is only filled with poorer quality teams.  As an athlete, you want a chance to play against the big boys at least once, to say 'I played against them.'
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Here is another challenge: According to Arizona's released schedule Valpo will play the Wildcats in Tucson on November 7:

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/ariz-m-baskbl-sched.html

valpotx

Yikes, don't think it will be as close as 2001-2002, but a good opponent if it is true!
"Don't mess with Texas"

rlh

Quote from: valpopal on August 29, 2011, 03:09:32 PM
Here is another challenge: According to Arizona's released schedule Valpo will play the Wildcats in Tucson on November 7:

That's part of the Coaches Against Cancer Tournament that VU is hosting in November.  Arizona is one of the top 4 teams that hosts the second round or semi's...whatever you want to call it.

zvillehaze

Arizona, Texas A&M, Miss State and St. John's all host two games, then move onto MSG for the semis and finals.  The other 8 teams move onto two locations to play 3 additional games.  Of those 8, the only announce so far are Valpo and Duquesne (from AZ's schedule). 

If the quality of those two teams mean anything, you'll get three more good games from this tourney (although Lazerus will roll out his "this isn't a tournament" article for the 8th year in a row).   ???

vufan75

Quote from: rlh on August 29, 2011, 05:13:39 PM
Quote from: valpopal on August 29, 2011, 03:09:32 PM

That's part of the Coaches Against Cancer Tournament that VU is hosting in November.  Arizona is one of the top 4 teams that hosts the second round or semi's...whatever you want to call it.
According to info posted on Facebook by the Valpo Crusader, the game will be televised on ESPNU.

"Valpo Men's Basketball will travel to Arizona to take on the Wildcats Monday, November 7. The game will be televised on ESPNU and will be just the second televised game of the 2011-12 NCAA basketball season!"

grad66

Not every time in the last several years has VU had it handed to them.  Seems to me we have stayed with Duke, UNC, Purdue, et al for at least one half , and actually LED in the second half a few times.  That's a confidence builder for any squad, if you knew anything
about coaching... ;)  Just because you're in the Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, etc doesn't mean you're going to blow everybody away.  ASK Washington...(CBI)

StlVUFan

Quote from: zvillehaze on August 29, 2011, 06:52:25 PM
Arizona, Texas A&M, Miss State and St. John's all host two games, then move onto MSG for the semis and finals.  The other 8 teams move onto two locations to play 3 additional games.  Of those 8, the only announce so far are Valpo and Duquesne (from AZ's schedule). 

If the quality of those two teams mean anything, you'll get three more good games from this tourney (although Lazerus will roll out his "this isn't a tournament" article for the 8th year in a row).   ???

And he's absolutely correct.  It's not a tournament, I don't care what they decide to call it.

valpopal

Addition: I have been told that Valpo will play IUPUI at Conseco Fieldhouse on December 23.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on August 31, 2011, 11:21:47 AM
Addition: I have been told that Valpo will play IUPUI at Conseco Fieldhouse on December 23.

Bryce talked about wanting this game at Conseco on a radio interview posted here.  May help with recruiting Indy.  Hope so! 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Unless there is another game before or after the VU/IUPUI game, attendance will be 2500 at best?

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on August 31, 2011, 12:52:40 PM

Unless there is another game before or after the VU/IUPUI game, attendance will be 2500 at best?

Not sure, but IUPUI has other games on their schedule to be played at Conseco as well. I do know there is a Nets-Pacers game scheduled for there at 7 p.m. if there is an NBA season. However, that wouldn't help attendance at our game.

Here is a picture of IUPUI playing Oakland at Conseco last February:

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on August 31, 2011, 03:08:55 PM

Not sure, but IUPUI has other games on their schedule to be played at Conseco as well. I do know there is a Nets-Pacers game scheduled for there at 7 p.m. if there is an NBA season. However, that wouldn't help attendance at our game.

Playing in an NBA stadium is nice - playing in front of 400 people seems senseless.  Maybe they should get a doubleheader with Butler and Evansville or Ball State.

StlVUFan

This won't be the first time we've played IUPUI at Canseco.  I was at the first one and remember the 50 students or so that lined up to spell the full name of the school on their bare chests ;)

wh

Quote from: covufan on August 31, 2011, 04:31:58 PM
Quote from: valpopal on August 31, 2011, 03:08:55 PM

Playing in an NBA stadium is nice - playing in front of 400 people seems senseless.  Maybe they should get a doubleheader with Butler and Evansville or Ball State.

I think a double header is a very good idea, even if the other game is Evansville vs. Ball State.  That said, having never been to Conseco I am looking forward to attending the game - no matter how many people are there.  It will be fun playing playing IUPUI again.