• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Fund Raising for Athletics

Started by vu72, December 12, 2016, 06:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on December 19, 2016, 10:37:44 PM
A few thoughts from the peanut gallery on this topic:

- On a high level, I really hope the university doesn't subscribe to the notion of "we aren't doing anything until we always sell out the seats we have." That sounds like a handy slogan, but it is incredibly short-sighted (and also discounting of a bunch of full-houses and near-full houses over the past several years despite few "name" opponents coming to the building). You build for the program you want to be in the future and for how you want the fan base to grow. And that leads to my next point...

- Making the fan experience better enables you to sell more tickets and draw more fans. Someone mentioned those 1,000 empty seats at a lot of games. There's a reason those are hard to sell -- they are largely terrible seats. Sitting in the bleachers on the south side is unpleasant even down low (no leg room, people stepping over you all game, very uncomfortable for anyone who has had back, knee or hip issues, etc.). Near the top of the mezz. you add poor sightlines and some obstructed views to that sundae. I know plenty of local folks who love to go to games as long as they are able to score a chairback seat, but rarely attend otherwise.

- Waiting until the ARC becomes a clear albatross in recruiting will be way too late. Programs that are committed to remaining successful stay ahead of the game in facilities. The administration talked a lot about the Gonzaga/Butler model during the coaching transition. Well, neither of those programs sat on their laurels when it came to facilities, either (nor have UNI, Davidson, or any other top mid-major program. Even St. Mary's is expanding their bandbox gym).

- If the MVC is looking again soon, there is absolutely no reason for Valpo to not take advantage of that and make that move. But first they have to be invited, and if VU doesn't at least have a tangible plan in place for improving their facilities (renderings, fundraising, etc.), the opportunity will be missed. If a beat writer from Terre Haute thinks your facility looks like a high school, time to act.

- In an ideal world, you build a new arena from the ground up. In the real world, you can probably renovate the ARC for less and get everything you need. Chairbacks all around (ok, maybe the student section stays bleachers, since they stand the whole game anyway). This allows you to re-set the seating angles to eliminate bad views (i.e. seats can roll out over the track). Knock out north wall (the building was designed to do that). Add another mezz and maybe a few suites or private club for premium options/revenue. Build new entry pavilion behind that with expanded restrooms/concessions. You could probably even fit a new practice court and dressing rooms underneath. Maybe add some additional concourses behind each endzone to improve access and add other amenities. Get permanent capacity around 6,000. Boom. Set for the next 25 years.

-Oh, and adding seats, amenities and the revenue that come along with them not only helps VU if the MVC/A-10/Future Conference Opportunity ever comes calling, but it helps to attract better non-conference opponents, because it will make it easier Valpo to have the money to pay to bring them in.

What he said (yet again).

78crusader

President Heckler gave an interview earlier this month on WVUR.  Upcoming projects include renovation of Alumni Hall in 2018, followed by Lankenau in 2020.  Renovation will begin this summer on Neils Science (it will be interesting to see the scope of this renovation since I think Neils is a tired building that requires a complete overhaul, but I doubt we will see anything close to that).  No mention by the President of any new construction plans.  The university is clearly in an endowment fundraising mode and any new buildings are going to have to come about as a result of lead gift donors rather than any type of formal fundraising campaign.

Paul

a3uge

Players don't care if the fans have good concession stands, bathrooms, and chairback seats. The stuff that will help recruiting are new locker rooms, practice facilities, and a good weight room. A new recreation center will help this. As nice as an ARC renovation would be, I don't see a decent RIO right now on changing the main arena portion of the ARC. There's a much bigger need for a new recreation center from a student recruiting aspect, let alone from an athletics aspect.

Again, the problem, of course, is money. A new recreation center will cost up to $50 million. There's other more glaring issues on campus that Valpo is lagging behind in like the dorms and the science centers.

VU2014

QuotePresident Heckler gave an interview earlier this month on WVUR.  Upcoming projects include renovation of Alumni Hall in 2018, followed by Lankenau in 2020.

Renovating Almuni and Lank lol? Almuni and Lank need a bit more then a renovation, those dorms were money pits when I was there a 6 years ago. Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) was breaking down (plumbing, lighting, the electrical, etc.). Dorm housing is the greatest scam imposed on college campuses.  The amount of $ you pay to live in a tiny room with another person is borderline theft. Don't get me wrong Dorm communities are great and important for students to share rooms and interact with other, but the cost exorbitant. The price of dorm housing is worse at other schools though.

agibson

Quote from: 78crusader on December 20, 2016, 08:34:48 AMRenovation will begin this summer on Neils Science (it will be interesting to see the scope of this renovation since I think Neils is a tired building that requires a complete overhaul, but I doubt we will see anything close to that).

The renovation will be fairly modest.

The big stuff comes in new construction, with Phase 1, of what will eventually be three, well underway.

The renovation will re-purpose the vacated wet lab space as those Chemistry and Bio labs move to the new building.

We're looking forward to a new ~20 student lab space for Physics and Astronomy. Our one current space is fully subscribed, as the number of labs for engineering students and other has increased. We'll get some new space for research as well.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on December 19, 2016, 10:37:44 PMSitting in the bleachers on the south side is unpleasant even down low (no leg room, people stepping over you all game, very uncomfortable for anyone who has had back, knee or hip issues, etc.)

To say nothing of the first few rows closest to the floor being absolutely horrible for sight lines (since the players and coaches make better walls than windows).

wh

Quote from: a3uge on December 20, 2016, 09:21:37 AM
Again, the problem, of course, is money. A new recreation center will cost up to $50 million. There's other more glaring issues on campus that Valpo is lagging behind in like the dorms and the science centers.

As I said when someone first brought the ARC renovation thing up again, I came to the conclusion some time back  that this is a dog that won't hunt - now or ever. There will never come a time when some academic or residential facility won't need rehabbing or rebuilding or new facilities added. And, administration has made it crystal clear in every decision that academic/residential needs take precedence. Whatever impact that may have on the future of the men's basketball program has already been considered and dismissed.

It's like talking about the things you like or dislike about the family down the street, not realizing they moved 2 years ago.

crusadermoe

I think all of these ideas are visionary and wise. 

But it would appear that the top leaders and the board have other visions that rank higher.  I keep saying this is our "last window" of opportunity to leverage popular coaches and players (Bryce and '13-16).  But then jewels like Alec Peters and Matt Lottich come along and make us think we can just muddle through with the ARC.

At some point your luck runs out.  But I sure am enjoying the ride and flying the gold.