• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Iona @ Valpo Game Thread - Wednesday 7:05, CIT First Round

Started by dcvalpo, March 13, 2011, 08:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Will Win?

Iona
6 (18.8%)
Valpo
26 (81.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: March 16, 2011, 06:27:58 PM

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo84 on March 18, 2011, 05:13:52 AM
For rlh, the note on sarcasm was to help you know that my comment about the coaches and players was not to be taken at face value. There tends to be some confusion on this board from time to time about whether people are using sarcasm and whether it is properly recognized. In this case, it was to to designate that I (not you or STL) was not saying that the players couldn't play or the coaches couldn't coach and to avoid going down a rabbit hole on that topic (as you pointed out - "not sure what else is to be said." To be clear, I have generally agreed with your assessment of this year's team.

I took it as simply a signal to make sure I knew you were joking with that final comment about our coaches not being able to coach.  Honestly, you needn't have worried.  As I read it, I could tell anyway.

I have gotten into the habit of writing the way I speak out loud and even picturing myself doing so (comes from writing sermons from time to time), and the phrasing you used immediately struck me as the kind of biting sarcasm one makes at the end of a pointed rant.  It was recognizable.

And I appreciate your take on this stuff.  Knocking Homer for failing to develop bigs is a bit like knocking the dog for settling for scraps that fall from the master's table ;)

crusaderdad

we need an Eli Holman(detroit), Andrew Smith(butler), Anthony Hill(milw), Alec Brown(GB), Andy Polka(loyola), Paul Carter(UIC), type player. PERIOD

And believe me, the staff is working VERY hard to find one.

valpofan56

Quote from: crusaderdad on March 18, 2011, 08:53:48 AM
we need an Eli Holman(detroit), Andrew Smith(butler), Anthony Hill(milw), Alec Brown(GB), Andy Polka(loyola), Paul Carter(UIC), type player. PERIOD

I agree, but Paul Carter and Eli Holman are only at Horizon League schools due to extenuating circumstances.  Both were recruited to Big Ten schools (Minnesota and Indiana respectively).

vu72

Quote from: crusaderdad on March 18, 2011, 08:53:48 AM

Heck, I'd settle for Matt Howard!!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

milanmiracle

Okay, I have no idea how accurate Scout.com is, but they had Matt Howard as being offered by Valpo, Xavier, West Virginia, and Miami (OH). That's hardly flying under the radar.

http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=9&c=2&cid=557468&nid=1936664&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fnotredame.scout.com%2fa.z%3fs%3d109%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d557468%26nid%3d1936664%26fhn%3d1

Andrew Smith would be a better under the radar example. I'd take him in a heartbeat too.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpofan56

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 18, 2011, 09:31:11 PM
Okay, I have no idea how accurate Scout.com is, but they had Matt Howard as being offered by Valpo, Xavier, West Virginia, and Miami (OH). That's hardly flying under the radar.

http://notredame.scout.com/a.z?s=109&p=9&c=2&cid=557468&nid=1936664&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fnotredame.scout.com%2fa.z%3fs%3d109%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d557468%26nid%3d1936664%26fhn%3d1

Andrew Smith would be a better under the radar example. I'd take him in a heartbeat too.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Purdue really wanted Howard but didn't have a scholarship for him because that was the Moore, Hummel, Martin, Johnson recruiting class.

Valpo89

Yep, Scott Martin committed to Purdue for the last slot in that recruiting class. He said yes before Howard. RLH may be able to back me up on that one.

rlh

That's the story I heard too...so I don't doubt it was true.  As I understand it, Scott's parents wanted him to go to Notre Dame all along.  Not sure why he went to Purdue first, unless it was because of Robbie, although both have said it had nothing to do with the other going there

bbtds

There was a story on Notre Dame's Scott Martin in Sunday's Indy Star talking about his decision to leave Purdue for ND and relating it to the possibility of a Purdue/Notre Dame match up in the NCAA tourney. Of course that will never happen at least this year.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011103200380

Wasn't that a sad picture of Rob Hummel crying at the end of the Purdue/VCU game?

VUfan

Just for the record Iona's in the CIT final tonight. That is a fact not hot air .

sectionee

my wife works on campus and brought home The Torch today.  Nice letter to the editor by Paul Oren, not sure if Paul is on here or not, but he called out the students for their lack of support of the team not only in the Iona game but also the games against Loyola and Green Bay.  It is sad that it takes bribes from the athletic department to get a small section of seats set aside for the students (who get in for FREE) to come out to a game. 

KL31NY

Quote from: sectionee on March 28, 2011, 09:39:10 PM
my wife works on campus and brought home The Torch today.  Nice letter to the editor by Paul Oren, not sure if Paul is on here or not, but he called out the students for their lack of support of the team not only in the Iona game but also the games against Loyola and Green Bay.  It is sad that it takes bribes from the athletic department to get a small section of seats set aside for the students (who get in for FREE) to come out to a game. 
Maybe we should give them more. Free parking, more giveaways, maybe a guest coach every quarter. -Geno Auriemma

I hate how the bad apples and fair weather fans draw the attention away from the students that deserve some kudos for their support. There was a dedicated group at the front of students that weren't just there because it was a big game. They weren't just there because Mom and Dad could see them on the ESPN or for the free pizza and doughnuts. They were there every night. Took the bus to Milwaukee in February. Went back again for the Tournament. I was proud to stand next to them at a lot of the games this year, even Iona and Green Bay, the latter with only about 20 students showing up. Before we continue to harp where harping is needed, let's applaud those fans that did make the commitment because they genuinely care about Valpo basketball... :clap:
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

sectionee

kudos to you and your buddies down there!  I don't know who the kid in the orange shirt is, but that dude has some team spirit and a healthy set of lungs!  My son kept wanting to go down there and dress up with all of them, but alas, he is only 4.  Next year we need each of you to bring about 10 friends, then have those friends bring 10 more to the next game.

valpo95

Quote from: VUfan on March 28, 2011, 08:21:38 PM
Just for the record Iona's in the CIT final tonight. That is a fact not hot air .

Looks like Iona lost to Santa Clara in the CIT final.  What that says to me is that no one really cares about the CIT, or others would have commented more about it.  Second, Iona was one of the better teams in the CIT.  So perhaps our dear Crusaders ended up being closer to a meaningful post season that we might have thought. 

rlh

Quote from: valpo95 on April 03, 2011, 06:29:38 PM
Quote from: VUfan on March 28, 2011, 08:21:38 PM

Looks like Iona lost to Santa Clara in the CIT final.  What that says to me is that no one really cares about the CIT, or others would have commented more about it.  Second, Iona was one of the better teams in the CIT.  So perhaps our dear Crusaders ended up being closer to a meaningful post season that we might have thought. 

I saw that the other day but didn't know anyone cared...and Iona was the second seed in the tourney, Valpo was the third

StlVUFan

I can share my perspective on caring/not caring about the CIT, since I was just thinking about this the other day.

The NCAA tourney is the only postseason tourney that I will follow even if HL entry(s) are eliminated -- as long as there's at least one mid-major still in it.

With the NIT, the only time I remember caring after all HL reps were eliminated was a couple of years ago when Baylor made their run to the championship game.

With the CBI in 2008 and the CIT this year, as soon as Valpo was eliminated, I stopped caring.

Don't know why, but that's the way it's been for me.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: StlVUFan on April 03, 2011, 09:54:11 PM
I can share my perspective on caring/not caring about the CIT, since I was just thinking about this the other day.

The NCAA tourney is the only postseason tourney that I will follow even if HL entry(s) are eliminated -- as long as there's at least one mid-major still in it.

With the NIT, the only time I remember caring after all HL reps were eliminated was a couple of years ago when Baylor made their run to the championship game.

With the CBI in 2008 and the CIT this year, as soon as Valpo was eliminated, I stopped caring.

Don't know why, but that's the way it's been for me.

in defense of the nit, a mid-major did knock off a bcs school in the championship. kudos to wichita state!