• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What can we learn from today’s press conference?

Started by GoldenCrusader87, March 06, 2019, 06:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldenCrusader87

I watched the Valpo football press conference today. I will admit - to call myself a casual fan of VU football would likely be a stretch.

With that said, I watched the press conference today for ou new coach. Wow, did I leave with some interesting takeaways:

1. If we had 80-90ish people reach out about interest in the Valpo football coaching position and would "know the names" of a lot of these applicants - what *could have been* or *could be* the candidate pool for the men's Valpo b-ball coaching position?

Hear me out .. before you combat the point with this or that about Matt.

Our Valpo football program isn't nearly as attractive of a job as our men's b-ball team coaching job.

1. Facilities - As bad as the ARC is, think about Brown Field. Like, seriously. Think about that.

2. Players - football team is fcs and DOES NOT offer scholarships. No $$$$! Our b-ball players are full-scholarship. And, there's WAY less b-ball scholarships out there than football due to how many are allowed.

There are 13 scholarships available per team to be divided among the players. A total of 4,381 scholarships are offered in Division 1 basketball for men.

Scholarship count: FBS programs are allowed 85 scholarships on its roster at any given time, and generally can sign up to 25 players per year. Scholarship breakdown: All 85 scholarships are full rides

What's my point? There's more b-ball players that are available to mid-majors than football players.

3. Salary - there's no way our men's b-ball coach isn't offering a MUCH larger salary than our football program is offering. And yet they had 80-90 interested?????

4. National brand - who talks about Valpo football nationally? How many games a year are nationally televised? How many folks attend games? Need I say more?

Think about it, folks.

Just think about it...

What's my point? If we have THAT many people interested in the football job, what could be .... who could be interested? Idk .... if folks we'd recognize the names of applied for football, who'd apply for men's b-ball?

Also, did you listen to what our AD said about why he was the right guy for this football job?

Did you hear him talk about his coaching experience learning from so many different head coaches? For a long time ... ?

What about Matt? He learned from one coach. Coached at one place .... at the end of the bench.

Did our new football coach play in the PAC 12? Nope. Does that make him a worse coach? Nope. Familiarity with the PFL mattered.

Did you hear his comment about injuries marring last year's football season? He said they WILL NOT make excuses.

Idk? Folks ... I'm just saying. It's something to think about.

Our highest revenue-generating sport vs ... not ...

NativeCheesehead

I think GC is actually a long suffering Oral Roberts fan out to get us for years of dominating them in the Mid Con.

Or maybe it's Greg Kampe.

GoldenCrusader87

Doesn't get much better than Tulsa. That said, did you read the post??..

It's about time someone picked up on *Golden* Crusader. Just like the Golden Eagles. 👍

JD24

valpo84

You're right, we could end up with candidates like Dennis Felton, 22-44 in 2 years at Cleveland State.  Or, Danny Manning could be a potential candidate too as he'll be looking for a job in a couple weeks 65-90, 24-65 in conference (3 road wins in 5 years).... (SI)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VU2014

I was watching some of the Horizon League tournament and holy cow no one plays any defense in that league. I understand the rankings have the Valley a little down this year and closer to the Horizon League according to their metrics but if you put one of those teams in the Valley they'd be terrible.

ml2

I want to put out a slight correction to the original post here about the football coaching search. ml didn't say you would know the names of the applicants who applied for the job, he said you'd know the names of the people who called him to suggest or recommend candidates for the job.

https://youtu.be/nKNFcs9ocpU?t=1614

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

GoldenCrusader87

a3uge

Quote from: VU2014 on March 07, 2019, 08:11:33 AM
I was watching some of the Horizon League tournament and holy cow no one plays any defense in that league. I understand the rankings have the Valley a little down this year and closer to the Horizon League according to their metrics but if you put one of those teams in the Valley they'd be terrible.

Keep in mind only 3 teams have winning records in the Horizon compared to 6 in the MVC. There's 4 teams with 20 losses in the Horizon vs 1 in the MVC. The MVC is down, but the Horizon is indeed terrible.

M

Anyone dissecting today's post game press conference?

VUGrad1314

Who cares? We won and they played well! Why complain?

M

oklahomamick

Golden crusader, you living on Tulsa time?  Time to start a valpo alumni association in T-town.  party of two.

I actually know two other alumnus in Tulsa.  One is a meteorologist for a local news station and the other actually lives in Hong Kong but went to high school at the school I teach at in Tulsa 
CRUSADERS!!!