• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Missouri State, Thurs., Jan. 23, 2020, 7:30p, TV: CBS Sports Network

Started by wh, January 21, 2020, 06:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

govalpogo

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 23, 2020, 09:22:17 PM
Sigh... We're a Thursday team again aren't we?
Maybe...maybe not.  Depends on which Valpo team shows up more down the stretch.  I expect up and down to a 9-9 record...wherever that gets you.  They definitely have it in them to be better...

govalpogo

I mean...good on the team for fighting(again, WHY DO YOU NEED TO BE DOWN SO OFTEN!?!?!)...I daresay that JFL was making things worse by pressing down the stretch, not good.  Gotta rebound at home against Evansville.  Was there ever an explanation for the Tech on Ryan?  That was a killer series of calls.

justducky

Quote from: Valpower on January 23, 2020, 08:32:37 PMAnd we are not a good 3-point team, unfortunately. Oh, we can have a good day from the perimeter, but it's far from being a strength. 

Last I checked we were still top half in D-1 from 3. That contrasts to our #349 finish last year. There were a number of Valley teams in top 100 and that still puts us at a disadvantage from deep.

Who else noticed Krikke refuse an open 3 point shot so that Sackey could heave up a prayer before the buzzer?  :o It was that kind of night.

nkvu

As I've said before it's either feast or famine with this team. A terrible first half followed by a good second half. I want to believe that it's unlikely that we will go two for twenty from three in a half again but with this team, who knows.  I mean if we just go five for twenty we would have had a good chance to win. So I'm going to try to not get too down after this game.  If we bounce back and win the next one I'll feel better.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: nkvu on January 23, 2020, 09:53:44 PMAs I've said before it's either feast or famine with this team. A terrible first half followed by a good second half. I want to believe that it's unlikely that we will go two for twenty from three in a half again but with this team, who knows.  I mean if we just go five for twenty we would have had a good chance to win. So I'm going to try to not get too down after this game.  If we bounce back and win the next one I'll feel better.

We'd better win the next game. It's at home against Evansville. That's one we've got to have. If we drop that one we're a Thursday team and you can book that.

valpotx

That call on Kiser when the offensive player pushed his arm into him in mid-air, was complete BS.  You should be able to review things such as that, as it was such an obvious miss by the ref. 

Regardless, I appreciate the second half fight in the team, when it was ever so evident that we couldn't buy a 3. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Only 10 assists vs 11 TOs. I would have guessed it to be worse.

Quote from: wh on January 23, 2020, 08:12:29 PMIf Mileek shoots 1 more 3, I'm turning the TV off. He's supposed to be a center.

His first couple 3 pointers looked bad but when the dust settled he was 3-6 and Krikke 1-2 for a combined 4-8 from our center position and both turned down numerous opportunities in favor of our reliable guys from distance. Those bread and butter guys combined for 4-31 from 3 ???  :o  I'm just sitting here shaking my head. WE WERE NOT THAT WELL COVERED!

nkvu

I think 3 point shooting is contagious. If we had hit our first couple we might have hit 7 or 8 of 20 in the first half. Conversely, we miss the first couple, and then miss the next couple, then misses become contagious. No, I don't have any stats to back this up. Totally gut feeling.

FWalum

Something is going on with this team either mentally or physically at the start of these games. I have seen this happen before and after watching closely tonight I think our players come out with an adrenaline rush that causes them to shoot long and be generally unsettled, Clay's first 3 went completely over the basket, others hit off the heel. Practically every shot in the first ten minutes was long. This has become a pattern and they have become even more anxious to break it.

On a more encouraging note, the attention given to Fazekas by their defense was very telling. They were constantly holding him as he came off screens and cuts leading to several called fouls away from the ball. Really thought we could have driven to the basket more because they refused to help off of him in the corners. This should be obvious when they watch video.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpo2013

So much doom and gloom
Every team in the country has bad shooting nights
Ours was last night
We will beat Evansville handily then travel to Bradley for a tough road game
Hopefully we hit a few more there-
Going to take the short drive down from Naperville to see it
Should be a good one

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on January 23, 2020, 08:24:57 PM
Quote from: wh on January 23, 2020, 08:18:54 PM
20 3's in 20 minutes. A 3 a minute. I've never seen that before - anywhere.

With no inside game we live and die by the 3. I still wouldn't be surprised to see it close at the end but such a big hole.

Very good call. Unfortunately the hole Valpo dug for itself was just slightly too large and MSU hit just enough FTs at the end.

SanityLost17

Terrible 1st half, great 2nd half.    If we are gonna shoot that many 3's we gotta shoot better.  If we are not that good from 3, and we are inconsistent at best, we need to get more opportunities at the basket.   

Still an incomplete team and a work in progress.  incomplete = no consistent inside game thus relying on the 3 too much.   Frustrating, but the sky is not falling. 

VUGrad1314

vu72

First game I've missed in a long time and obviously didn't miss much.  We now will be faced with another lineup change and different court time distribution now that Ryan is back.  Starting 5 5 for 30 from deep?  Javon's worst game of the season.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

tiny707

Frustrating, if shots aren't falling, lock down on D, get the ball inside or drive the lane.

FWalum

I know the old adage that "shooters got to shoot" but I think that JFL is feeling too much pressure to score and it really has shown in conference play. When you are having a night like last night he should have taken the ball to the basket, there were lanes to drive when Ryan was on the floor. Oh, and if I never see another floater it will be too soon.  Take it to the basket strong and get to the line, make a few free ones, see the ball go through the net and then maybe the 3 will start to fall.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

humbleopinion

Was there ever any clarification on why Fazekas was called for a technical foul?
Beamin' Beacons

valpo84

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 24, 2020, 12:56:03 PM
Was there ever any clarification on why Fazekas was called for a technical foul?

Saw something on twitter that he glared at a MSU player.  Higgins was horrible last night after allowing the Kansas debacle a couple nights ago.  Yet, they allowed MSU to push off, hold, tug, and basically clogged the middle all night.  And, then Ryan after watching what they did to Sackey on the and 1 late, glares at the MSU player and bam T.

Horrible display of reffing.  Kiser was being beat on all night and couldn't get a call (at least 3x they missed something or called him on the push off by MSU on the drive).
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpo84 on January 24, 2020, 01:01:28 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on January 24, 2020, 12:56:03 PMWas there ever any clarification on why Fazekas was called for a technical foul?
Saw something on twitter that he glared at a MSU player.  Higgins was horrible last night after allowing the Kansas debacle a couple nights ago.  Yet, they allowed MSU to push off, hold, tug, and basically clogged the middle all night.  And, then Ryan after watching what they did to Sackey on the and 1 late, glares at the MSU player and bam T. Horrible display of reffing.  Kiser was being beat on all night and couldn't get a call (at least 3x they missed something or called him on the push off by MSU on the drive).

We lost because we couldn't hit water if we fell out of a boat not because of the officiating... We need to do better We need to be better...

valpo84

Did not say anything about officiating causing the loss. It responded to a question about what the T was for.  The answer explained the why. It also commented on an important aspect of this game and why our motion offense stagnated. Holding and grabbing and impeding the free flow of motion is a way to stop motion offenses, as long as you don't get called.  It amps up the physicality, however, and takes you mentally out of your game.  Kudos to Ford.  2d half, we adjusted to the physicality and brought some of our own.  Nonetheless, there were 3 occasions in the last 10-11 minutes, however, where momentum was snatched from us as we were mounting a comeback (the push off by MSU and Kiser called for the foul) is a prime example.  Doesn't change the outcome now, doesn't excuse the poor start, doesn't excuse the 3 for 29 start on 3s.  That was a woulda, coulda, shoulda game.  Exceptionally frustrating. 

While I'm on a rant today, and Tim Doyle is an atrocious announcer.  We don't care about your pitiful St John's career.  We don't care about your witty comments about Christmas shopping.  We don't care about your over-obvious analysis ("As Gene Keady [and every other coach in America and elsewhere] said the first 5 minutes of 2d half are important").  We care about the "why" on the court.  Why was there stoppage of play and a flagrant 1 called on MSU? Took minutes before they recognized that was going on.  Why did Ryan get a T? Oh, look Fazekas is in the game for the first time since SLU game (this finally occurred 4 minutes after he was in the game).  That was a big story he missed working off his notecards.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

crusadermoe

My take is that Keandre Cook came out and dominated with his shooting and by frustrating JFL from getting open with tight D.  Then JFL and others started shooting up 3s in a panic and MSU just could not miss. 

And yet I came away strangely encouraged for the long view of the season.   I will view tonight's glass as 1/4 full.  ;D

Clay continues to impress me with his body control and poise no matter the score and match up
JFL was zero for the first half but he will return to being JFL in the next game.  C'mon he put up 28 against UNI on the road.
The big story: Fazekas played!  He moved well and shot well.  I hope he is strong enough now to play good minutes because he will stretch the floor for JFL, Clay and Robinson to maneuver better.  Man the guy is thin.

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on January 24, 2020, 07:30:19 PM
My take is that Keandre Cook came out and dominated with his shooting and by frustrating JFL from getting open with tight D.  Then JFL and others started shooting up 3s in a panic and MSU just could not miss. 

And yet I came away strangely encouraged for the long view of the season.   I will view tonight's glass as 1/4 full.  ;D

Clay continues to impress me with his body control and poise no matter the score and match up
JFL was zero for the first half but he will return to being JFL in the next game.  C'mon he put up 28 against UNI on the road.
The big story: Fazekas played!  He moved well and shot well.  I hope he is strong enough now to play good minutes because he will stretch the floor for JFL, Clay and Robinson to maneuver better.  Man the guy is thin.

Fragile, weak, but also a great shooter and smart player.