• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo hosts SIU Game Thread, Wed., Feb. 12th, 7:00p CT, ESPN+

Started by tiny707, February 06, 2020, 06:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

As our announcers said Krikke needs more minutes... RELEASE THE KRIKKE! Is there a reason Javon hasn't played? Please tell me he isn't hurt...

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 12, 2020, 08:36:51 PMIs this the turnaround game?

Ask me that again in about 7 minutes of game action... Come on guys! Stay strong and finish!

VUGrad1314

NativeCheesehead

Jeebus.  Just one game where everything goes well.

Ugg. This is why we can't have nice things.

VUGrad1314

Anybody know what happened to Kiser? Please tell me it isn't somehow related to facility issues... That's not good.... Kiser you have been amazing tonight and indeed all season! I hope you get healthy soon!

VUGrad1314

AMAZING DEFENSIVE EFFORT! GREAT JOB GUYS! That's a great and huge win! Really hope Kiser is okay... That's all class by SIU. Fantastic stuff by them! Respect.

17 turnovers... Yikes... That's an ugly stat... We aren't going to win too many games doing that. We need to get better.

valpotx

Kiser led us in +/- today with a +20.  Glue...guy

I hope that it is a minor sprain.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Seemed like he couldn't put weight on it and had to be carried to the postgame prayer That is not a good sign....

oklahomamick

Fun game to watch.  Good job by coaches and players. 

If you had the under, you probably won.
CRUSADERS!!!

govalpogo

Important win.  Now you are done with the top 3 in the league until the tourney.  Make these last 5 count in the standings.  The aftermath of Kiser's injury did not look good.  Maybe they'll win out for Kiser???  Here's hoping. 

VUGrad1314

I LOVE Luke Gore! He's all about the team the guys and the program! "We didn't play 40 minutes. They had six minutes they shouldn't have had because we didn't lock in." That's fantastic! That's the attitude! Great stuff! And his mind is constantly on Kiser His concern is obvious and palpable. Much respect for that man.

nkvu

Couldn't watch the game since ESPN+ doesn't seem to like my iPad down here in Aruba. But did manage to listen to the radio call. Sounds like we finally put together two good halves featuring stifling defense and another good offensive game from Krikke.  He and Clay have really exceeded expectations as freshmen.

Really hope Kiser's injury isn't as bad as described. He deserves to end his college career on the court. Hope he makes it back at least for the tournament if not sooner.

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 12, 2020, 08:37:26 PMIs there a reason Javon hasn't played? Please tell me he isn't hurt...

There was a lengthy stretch which featured Sackey, Clay, Gordon, Kiser and Krikke. Not the power lineup I was expecting but it was working. :o.  Who knew?

vusupporter

Quote from: nkvu on February 12, 2020, 09:38:54 PM
Couldn't watch the game since ESPN+ doesn't seem to like my iPad down here in Aruba.

There's a humblebrag if I've ever heard one.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 12, 2020, 08:38:07 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on February 12, 2020, 08:36:51 PMIs this the turnaround game?
Ask me that again in about 7 minutes of game action... Come on guys! Stay strong and finish!

It might be my friend... It might be... Just to be safe though let's watch at least one or two more before we finally make that judgment once and for all... This was VERY PROMISING though.

nkvu

Quote from: vusupporter on February 12, 2020, 10:13:25 PM
Quote from: nkvu on February 12, 2020, 09:38:54 PM
Couldn't watch the game since ESPN+ doesn't seem to like my iPad down here in Aruba.

There's a humblebrag if I've ever heard one.

Not really all that humble. 😉

JD24

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 12, 2020, 07:57:03 PMI think our main guy might be doing TV right now but I'm not sure... Also... Illinois State's announcers suck WAY MORE They are as boring as plain white toast I am NOT looking forward to watching that game in Normal on ESPN3...
If the reference was to Todd by the poster with 1 post, there's going to be a problem.

VUBBFan

Sadly, I think we have seen the last of Kiser playing for Valpo. He positively was in a great amount of pain. He could not put any pressure on his foot and for someone who, through his whole career, always seemed to bounce back from hard hits by just taking a big breath this was a very serious injury. I'm thinking he broke or fractured something in his ankle. Even if it is a mild sprain you're looking at being out 2 -3 weeks, which is the end of the season. By the way he was being carried around, my thought is the minimum injury he sustained was a severe sprain. With that being 6-8 weeks recovery time. I hope that I'm wrong and we see him suited up for Illinois State but I'm not counting on it.

He will be sorely missed. Hopefully all the glue he applied to this team this year sticks around for a while cause I know if he can't play he will be on the bench encouraging his teammates. That's what a team players does and John is truly a team player with great Heart.

All the best to you john. Loved seeing you play and all you did for the team. 

VUGrad1314

Give both of these men (Ryan and John) a lot of love and a standing ovation on Senior Day. The caliber of people and teammates they have been and all of the injuries they have gutted out have warranted at least this much. I really hope the fans properly appreciate what these two young men have done for this program. I believe that they have both been instrumental in laying the foundation for the success that is to come. Another thing I loved seeing was Sackey carrying him to the postgame prayer. Even in the midst of a tough year for him personally Daniel's always got his teammates' back. That was awesome and was a testament to his character! He's a leader and one day his play will show it too. I feel like he's already starting to come out of his slump a bit. If he can string a couple of good games together to close the year look out next year. Even if he can't you know he's going to work his butt off in the offseason. Give this team one thing: they work extremely hard and I hope that never changes. That kind of stuff makes me proud as an alum. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Mvcfan1990 on February 12, 2020, 07:54:56 PM
Been flipping through all the valley games. You guys have awful announcers. I thought Illinois state announcers were awful but god do these dudes take the cake.

If his talking about David Husman, I whole heartedly agree.  He's the Mileek of calling a game....over eager and full of analogies that don't land well.  I mean honestly, I feel like it's open mic night at the comedy club and he's trying out new material on us every night.  Settle down sir, tranquilo...

talksalot

Brandon, the silver-typist at the SID desk for Men's Basketball recapped the record setting night...

Inside the Game

The 37 points were the fewest allowed against a Division-I opponent since Jan. 21, 1984, when Valpo edged Green Bay 35-33. Wednesday set the record for the fewest points allowed by a Valpo team since the advent of the shot clock in 1985-86.  (in one of the last games played in Hilltop Gym !  This sets the new ARC Mark)

Valpo's performance tied for 16th in Missouri Valley Conference history since the advent of the shot clock for the fewest points allowed in a conference game.

The 38 points were the second-fewest scored by the Salukis (15-11, 9-4) in school history since 1950 and the fewest since 36 at Bradley in 1981.

The 38 points were the fewest scored by any Missouri Valley Conference team this season. The previous low was Loyola's 39 on Feb. 5 at Indiana State. Wednesday marked the lowest point total by a Valley team since Loyola had 35 on Jan. 23, 2019 vs. Missouri State.

The 38 points also marked the fewest allowed by a Valley team in any game this year and the fewest since the aforementioned outing by Missouri State last season.

The 13 made baskets by Southern Illinois were the fewest by any MVC team in conference play this season and the second-fewest by any MVC team in any game. The Salukis had just 10 baskets on Dec. 15 at Missouri.

Valpo became the first MVC team to allow just 13 made field goals or fewer in a game this season. Bradley previously topped that chart with just 14 field goals allowed vs. North Carolina A&T on Dec. 7.

The 23.6 percent shooting was the best defensive performance in terms of field-goal percentage by an MVC team this season. The last Missouri Valley Conference team to hold an opponent to that low of a single-game field goal percentage was Drake on Nov. 8, 2018 vs. Division-III Buena Vista.

Wednesday's Valpo performance marked the best field-goal percentage defense by any Valley team in a game against a Division-I foe since Wichita State held Cal Poly to 20.7 percent on March 21, 2014. Valpo held SIU to 23.6 percent, the lowest single-game field goal percentage by an MVC team in a conference game since March 2, 2007, when Creighton limited Indiana State to 23.3 percent. 

The 17-point margin of victory was Valpo's largest in conference play and second-largest against a Division-I opponent this season behind a 22-point win over Central Michigan. Wednesday's game tied with a 77-60 victory over Drake on Jan. 10, 2018 for Valpo's most lopsided MVC win since joining the league.

After he scored 21 points in the first half in the first meeting between the two teams, Southern Illinois star freshman Marcus Domask was limited to two points prior to halftime on Wednesday. Valpo held him to seven points on 2-of-10 shooting for the game. 

Krikke finished with a team-high 15 points and shared the team lead with Freeman-Liberty in rebounds with seven. The freshman forward has led the team in scoring in two of the last four games and three times total this season.
Freeman-Liberty got to 14 points, his 26th straight game in double figures. He also had two steals to lift his season total to 58, tied with Keith Carter's 2015-16 season for the fourth in program history. The single-season record is 63 set by Lubos Barton in 2001-02.

Donovan Clay (Alton, Ill. / Alton) had a career-high five assists and did not commit a turnover.

McMillan contributed nine points and five rebounds on an efficient 4-of-6 shooting.

and this:...
Senior John Kiser (Noblesville, Ind. / Noblesville) led Valpo in the plus-minus department with a +20.
===============
I have not seen the replay... but if anyone has access and can post the 30-seconds from 16:10 to 15:40 of the second half.  I'd love to see that Krikke put-back.   The "Refs were letting them play".

Just Sayin

QuoteValpo's MVC Ranking To Date:
              Offense       Defense      Div. 1 Avg
3P%:      30.2 (9)         35.7 (6)          33.3
2P%:      49.7 (4)         49.4 (4)          49.3

To date, Valpo is the 4th best team in conference in shooting and defending the 2.  This team has been improving steadily under the radar in defense. Perhaps this win over SIU is the turnaround game.