• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Beacons vs Phantoms 12/7 @ the ARC 6 pm CST

Started by humbleopinion, December 07, 2021, 05:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

East-West University, not to be confused with East West University in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

From Wikipedia:

At present, East-West offers an intercollegiate basketball team known as the East West Phantoms. They are coached by Tommie Posley.[3] EWU is a member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) and competes as an independent outside of an athletic conference.[4] In addition to other USCAA teams, the Phantoms routinely play NCAA and NAIA competition.[5]

We'll see Kobe on the floor, and, I would expect, everyone else dressed for the game.

Beamin' Beacons

Just Sayin

Difficult to find info on this team. What I could find is that their best player is De'Quanii Jackson who put up 32 against St. Francis on 11/8. He's 5'8".

vu72

This will be a slaughter not dissimilar to the football teams "win" over College of Faith.  Why in the world are we scheduling these games?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: vu72 on December 07, 2021, 08:24:10 AMThis will be a slaughter not dissimilar to the football teams "win" over College of Faith.  Why in the world are we scheduling these games?
Not by design I don't think, but this game comes at the perfect time. A scrimmage of sorts to get King into a game, get his teammates and him on the same page before we face real competition.

justducky

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 07, 2021, 08:23:25 AMWhat I could find is that their best player is De'Quanii Jackson who put up 32 against St. Francis on 11/8. He's 5'8".

We definitely need to assign him with our best available defender. Is Fricke a better defender than Morrill or that B-Rock guy?  ;)

Quote from: vu72 on December 07, 2021, 08:24:10 AMWhy in the world are we scheduling these games?

They may say otherwise but you have to suspect that something else failed to happen and this was the result?

wh

It's 18 degrees in the vale of paradise, headed to a balmy 21 at game time. Definitely a hardcore only event.

Chairback

In this type of game you pray no one gets injured.  Just get the starters in and out quickly.

Also, surprised ticket prices are not adjusted for games like this.  I'd you are not filling the gym you have to lower prices.   

Just Sayin

Quote from: Chairback on December 07, 2021, 09:43:05 AM
In this type of game you pray no one gets injured.  Just get the starters in and out quickly.

Also, surprised ticket prices are not adjusted for games like this.  I'd you are not filling the gym you have to lower prices.   

Or offer the first beer for free.

wh

Tickets were $6 at W. Michigan. They called it a holiday special.

VALPO LI

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 07, 2021, 08:23:25 AM
Difficult to find info on this team. What I could find is that their best player is De'Quanii Jackson who put up 32 against St. Francis on 11/8. He's 5'8".

Agreed.  Their athletic website and twitter accounts are not updated.  Perhaps this team is merely a phantom made up by the university  :P
The Phantoms logo reminds me of Mr. Hankey Howdy Ho! ;)

Shine on Vu

vusupporter

valpopal

Quote from: wh on December 07, 2021, 10:03:07 AM

Tickets were $6 at W. Michigan. They called it a holiday special.

Valpo has five upcoming men's home games when university students are away (Dec. 20, 22, 28, and Jan. 2, 8). The women have three (Dec. 21, Jan. 7, 9). I trust the program will look elsewhere for attendance at those 8 events, perhaps including local high schools by inviting their pep bands and offering discounted or free tickets for their students. Even free tickets to high school and middle school students will bring in some revenue at concession stands or admission of accompanying adults, but more importantly create community good will.

crusader05

December 22nd is community night and they will have a Santa and other things for families. Members of the team were at the Christmas Tree Lighting handing out schedules and encouraging people to attend that day.

valpopal

Quote from: crusader05 on December 07, 2021, 10:56:11 AM
December 22nd is community night and they will have a Santa and other things for families. Members of the team were at the Christmas Tree Lighting handing out schedules and encouraging people to attend that day.

Does anybody know why they have doubled all prices for tomorrow's women's game against Notre Dame? I am not sure that is community friendly. [The women's game vs. Notre Dame on Wednesday, Dec. 8, will be a premium game with tickets available for $20 and groups of 10 or more priced at $10 apiece.]

Just Sayin

Quote from: crusader05 on December 07, 2021, 10:56:11 AM

I sure hope St. Nicholas won't punch any heretics.

Just Sayin

Chicago State beat this team several times in the past.

justducky

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 07, 2021, 11:29:05 AMI sure hope St. Nicholas won't punch any heretics.

If he makes it to the game I will try to keep him out of the beer line.  :)

NativeCheesehead

I appreciate the fact we don't typically devalue our tickets by giving them away, not to mention that it might piss off the season ticket holders who pay full price, but as a season ticket holder who pays full price, they should absolutely be giving away tickets to tonight's game.

humbleopinion

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 07, 2021, 02:49:29 PM
I appreciate the fact we don't typically devalue our tickets by giving them away, not to mention that it might piss off the season ticket holders who pay full price, but as a season ticket holder who pays full price, they should absolutely be giving away tickets to tonight's game.

I'm sitting with an extra ticket in my pocket, and I have had no luck in giving it away.
Beamin' Beacons

Just Sayin

Quote from: justducky on December 07, 2021, 02:41:12 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on December 07, 2021, 11:29:05 AMI sure hope St. Nicholas won't punch any heretics.

If he makes it to the game I will try to keep him out of the beer line.  :)

The only prudent thing to do. There likely will be some Arius followers out there. 

Just Sayin

tjjvalpo

The December 22nd game is noon. Does anyone have a clue why? I am going to start my Christmas vacation early so I can go to it and take two friends that can make their own work schedule and go to the game with me.

wh

It's hard to glean much from this game, except maybe this. Until tonight we only had 1 player who could score at will against overmatched opponents. Now we have 2 - Ben and Kobe. Kobe is clearly more talented than anyone else on this team.

wh

Keyondre was there and looked normal at a glance (no braces or boots). Did Todd say why he didn't play?

justducky

Quote from: wh on December 08, 2021, 08:25:44 AM
Keyondre was there and looked normal at a glance (no braces or boots). Did Todd say why he didn't play?
Minor injury. Sat as a precaution. Quick return. Something like that.