• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Sycamores visit the ARC -- 1 pm New Year's Day

Started by humbleopinion, January 01, 2023, 08:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

A step down in talent from Drake, and familiar baskets (I'm not counting on a strong showing in the stands). 

I have hopes of a victory.  Valpo 67, InSU 61.
Beamin' Beacons

talksalot

HO, I hope you are right... however, this InSt team did beat Drake (75-53 at home)...  The trees are vulnerable, with the three consecutive "Final Exam Week" losses to Southern Indiana, Duquesne and Northern Illinois...but they bounced back with the Valley destruction of Evansville 91-63.

The Vegas line is 6.5

Valpo did leapfrog the Aces in the rankings ... the RPIs this morning:  Valpo 317, Evansville 318...

I will agree with the crowd estimate... We're up against the Lions, Tigers (LSU vs Purdue) and Bears, Oh My.  and we have no pep band.  I'm guessing there will be a typically vocal contingent of InSt fans...

SO... let's play like TCU did yesterday... and pull out the upset W and start the new year right!

justducky

I'm not counting on a great performance (unless ISU gives it) but I might show up anyway. Hoping to see a well played game!  :)

Just Sayin

Quote from: talksalot on January 01, 2023, 08:58:29 AM
HO, I hope you are right... however, this InSt team did beat Drake (75-53 at home)...  The trees are vulnerable, with the three consecutive "Final Exam Week" losses to Southern Indiana, Duquesne and Northern Illinois...but they bounced back with the Valley destruction of Evansville 91-63.

The Vegas line is 6.5

Valpo did leapfrog the Aces in the rankings ... the RPIs this morning:  Valpo 317, Evansville 318...

I will agree with the crowd estimate... We're up against the Lions, Tigers (LSU vs Purdue) and Bears, Oh My.  and we have no pep band.  I'm guessing there will be a typically vocal contingent of InSt fans...

SO... let's play like TCU did yesterday... and pull out the upset W and start the new year right!

https://bracketologists.com/compare/bradley-braves;drake-bulldogs;southern-illinois-salukis;missouri-state-bears;indiana-state-sycamores;belmont-bruins;murray-state-racers;valparaiso-beacons

tjjvalpo

I am among those that are choosing to stay home. I hope they win, but the thought of going to the game and being disappointed by another lose, it would have just make me feel like a wasted a whole afternoon.

VUSWIM08-12

Probably will be high scoring , but do we have enough fire power?

Valpo 72
Trees 81

tiny707

Interesting to see what a year two coach can do in MVC...10-4 record and 3-0 wins in MVC play.

VUSWIM08-12

How are we 2/10 from 3 at HOME ! Did we max out lift this morning or what ? A couple have been too quick but WTF! WHY IS LOTTICH STILL OUR COACH. ABSOLUTELY DISGRACEFUL. We should be down more than 9...

mj

Indiana State has better fundamentals. It's obvious they play as a team. It also doesn't help that we can't shoot the ball.

I believe that we will win.

valpopal

Paul states it plainly: [tweet]1609635743806242818[/tweet]

AB

shots come and go. The game needs to be won on the defensive end. Once again, getting carved up with interior defense. Guy did great things at LMU, he's got a system that's working in year two at ISU. Too much standing around on offense. Need to take advantage of our height on the inside.

tiny707

tjjvalpo

Our interior defensive being carved up is an understatement. They are 12 of 17 on layups. They have had different players cutting to the basket on almost every possession for easy baskets.

tiny707

Can the color commentator working with Todd step in ASAP and coach?

valpotx

Wow, over 10 minutes of game time without a basket...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Ben Krikke is this generation's Urule Igbavboa.  Had a decent/solid overall career, but his time will be remembered as a lull in Valpo basketball ability. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on January 01, 2023, 02:12:26 PM
Wow, over 10 minutes of game time without a basket...

More of the norm. Not only has this team quit on the coaching staff, not just Lottich, but all of it, THEY QUIT ON THEMSELVES!! They show ZERO leadership or tenacity. The "G" word can't even be attached to this team. The team is as bad as the coaching staff.

AB

This is going to be a long two months. Stating obvious, team looks lost, confidence effected and when we miss shots we stop playing hard. Illinois State, Evansville, UIC, Valpo have cemented themselves in the play in game. Indiana State is a nice turnaround story and they play well as a team, but they ain't the most talented team. They are beatable. We've not figured out how to use our mixed matched pieces and still have no answer when Krikke is doubled on the base line. He needs to dribble drive to the basket from the top of the key.

tjjvalpo

As far as the MVC tournament, actually seeds 5 thru 12 will be playing on Thursday. We were always going to have to play Thursday.

As for today's game, another pathetic performance. If the game against Drake gave some hope, that was dashed once again today. I made the right decision to stay home.

mj

I agree that Indiana State isn't the most talented team. But they get those most out of that talent.

I don't understand Valpo's rotations at all. I know that we have zero depth but why did Hedstrom not play at all today?
I believe that we will win.

VULB#62

Quote from: mj on January 01, 2023, 03:37:42 PM
I agree that Indiana State isn't the most talented team. But they get those [sic] most out of that talent.

I believe that is what is called, outside zip codes 46385 & 46383, good coaching.

beacons23

Womens team may even be worse...what a debacle
Former administration should give some money back to unwind these hires

justducky

I had really hoped that a Valpo team would show up today. I saw nothing in our play or strategy that can be built on for future success. The only thing I really learned was who our 4'th string point guard is.

I now can picture 4 conference wins as being a challenge. Maybe only one team in the last 30 years has been clearly worse.   :o

covufan

After three decent to good outings, we bring you back to your regularly scheduled team led by Lottich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpopal

Apparently, the problem was that our players were "exhausted," even though they had only played one game in the previous ten days and have had no classes to attend, readings to do, or papers to write because they have also been on an academic break during that entire stretch of time. Also, this doesn't explain the more than 11 minutes without a basket that started not at the end of the game, when weariness might be expected, but in the first half and then continued after a halftime break.  ???