• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ben Boggs: starter?

Started by humbleopinion, February 17, 2012, 06:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

I haven't been able to get to as many games as I would like, and I'm left wondering why we start each game with Ben on the floor.  I suppose that Bryce might have promised him that he would start as part of a deal that Ben would use one of his years of eligibility this year.  Otherwise, has someone seen something that I haven't that would put him ahead of others at the beginning of the game?
Beamin' Beacons

sectionee

We've been winning much more consistently with him in the starting lineup and Matt coming off the bench.  Why mess with the lineup if it is working?

MattCarter

While this same thought has rolled around in my head, too.  I think I have to agree with SectionEE.  We have won and played better with Matt coming off the bench.

Perhaps Ben Boggs is this team's version of a Howard Little or a Jake Deibler?  Not really a stat sheet guy, but an intangible kinda guy?  In order to do that, though, he needs to sure up his defense quite a bit (and to be a Howard Little he needs that reverse layup)
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

chairback

You can say the same thing about Will starting over Jay. 

Jay should be starting over him, however he provides a huge spark off the bench.

I think Will is really inconsistent and at times plays poor D.

FWalum

I think that Boggs and Bogan are both very consistent players, I think you know what you are going to get with them. Both are good shooters and pretty good defenders.  Matt is a high energy guy, not a consistent player, but one who plays with great heart sometimes leaving his head a little behind.  I love the energy he brings to the team and I think for now it works best in that second phase of the game rather than the beginning.  Jay also fits that scoring spark kind of mode. Can't have all the scorers on the first team, he does a great job of giving us a contrast to Buggs that makes the other teams defense have to change.  Things are working pretty good right now, I wouldn't change a thing unless we have to.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

It's the same philosophy as why the Mavs have Jason Terry come off the bench.  Some people just play better when they get to see how the game develops, others play better from the onset.
"Don't mess with Texas"