• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Are the 1968 UCLA Bruins better than this year's Crusaders?

Started by dcvalpo, March 23, 2011, 10:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcvalpo

Well, we need to define the word better I suppose...but at first glance, no, I couldn't consider them "better."  Lew Alcindor was a nice scorer, but he would struggle with the bulk of Kevin and the intense play of Cory.  With the advances in weight training over the last decade, I think we would actually have an advantage inside.  In terms of guard play, I don't think the Bruins would match up well with Brandon and Buggs.  Just not quite the athletes on that UCLA team to keep up with our quicker, more explosive guards.  Add in the fact that we have been extremely successful in tapping into the foreign market and grabbing super talents, I think you have to give VU the edge.  UCLA had no foreign talent, a fact that would really hurt them if we were to go head to head.  Call me crazy, but I think the 10-11 Crusaders win this matchup 7 out of 10 times.  I mean, mid-major Houston beat the Bruins that year and we were jobbed out of a win against them in 08 CBI.  So, do the math and I think you see the gap between UCLA 68 and VU is narrow (if not leaving us slightly ahead)

What say you posters?  2010-2011 Valpo or 1967-1968 UCLA?  Serious analysis only please, no flames.

rlh

This is so STUPID !!!!!

dcvalpo

Post some legitimate discussion or just ignore the thread.  There are those of us who are interested in discussing how VU stacks up.

dcvalpo

If we played against UCLA the way we did against Missouri State, who's to say we wouldn't blow them out of the gym?  I'm not just wearing the brown and gold colored glasses here, folks.  That VU team on that day could have beaten anyone, and yes, I do mean Ohio State, Kansas, Duke, etc.

DMvalpo18

it's a tough call....but i think i might have to give us the edge. good point about MO. ST. a guy like howard little would be unguardable, considering all of the reverse layups he hit against the bears. we all know winning teams are not built around just one talent, as seen in the nba with the timberwolves and garnett. and in college we see it with right now with jimmer at byu. although byu may have a shot, since they won't have to face us anytime soon. i like how van wijk sizes up in the post too...he has a very high ceiling and has yet to even approach it. interesting discussion, and will always be a great debate.

KL31NY

I'm just curious: why the 1968 UCLA Bruins? When I saw this thread on the menu, it struck me as really random.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpo84

If Ditka played for us, maybe. Lew Alcindor (and UCLA) actually has(have) some interesting Valpo connections. We were just 30 years late in recruiting his family. (For the newer Valpoites, Kareem Abdul Jabbar JR played at Valpo for a couple seasons before transferring. Great kid, and a Christ College student. Dad is a terrific Jeopardy player. More connections below).

First question, under new NCAA and NBA rules, would Alcindor have left after his freshman year to go pro. If so, that would really help us. Lucius Allen may have left too?

Actually, in 1964-65 season Valpo lost to Houston by 3. But in 67-68 we lost to Houston in maybe the all-time blow out 158-81. You read that right. (looks like that may have been worse than the Arizona beat down in the 96 NCAA tourney, at which we asked Mr Jabbar Sr if he would like to go in and help the team at halftime. To which he said, I don't think even I can help at this stage. Kareem is still one of my favorite people, although he was the enemy as a Bulls fan in the early 70s). Now we have to defend that silly hook shot from Alcindor. But he's soft. The double team we have been using on centers should force him to give up the ball. Allen is pretty good (future NBA guard) but Buggs and Little should be able to guard him. Warren is a pretty boy actor (did you know his first acting gig was as a street smart basketball HS hoops player in White Shadow) and BWood should be able to go off on him. Not their best fowards during that season so Cory, Little and Ryan should be abe to hold their own. We could probably run with them. We need to count the 3s and no dunking. Having beaten Butler this year who made the Championship Game last year and who beat the #1 seed Pittsburgh last week, whose former coach is now at UCLA, there are some real positives going into this game.

Further, the Committee has a sense of humor matching us up with UCLA whose next coach after Wooden would be Gene Bartow, our coach in 1967-68. Or that Jim Harrick Sr coached UCLA in 1995 (Ty Edney shot) whose son would be an assistant with Valpo during the Sweet 16 and would be matched up against his Dad in the Sweet 16 game against Rhode Island.

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/1998/03/18/1998-03-18_a_new_rhode_to_sweet_16__har.html

That serious enough (SI). Even better hypothetical question, taking the best 10 players from Valpo (or even Butler) for the past 20 years could we (or they) beat UCLA in 1968?
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

justducky

Quote from: rlh on March 23, 2011, 10:50:33 PM
This is sto STUPID !!!!!
Calm down. This job is just too big for a couple of old guys like us. So where is 56 when we really need him?

dcvalpo

dcvalpo

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on March 23, 2011, 11:09:03 PM
it's a tough call....but i think i might have to give us the edge. good point about MO. ST. a guy like howard little would be unguardable, considering all of the reverse layups he hit against the bears. we all know winning teams are not built around just one talent, as seen in the nba with the timberwolves and garnett. and in college we see it with right now with jimmer at byu. although byu may have a shot, since they won't have to face us anytime soon. i like how van wijk sizes up in the post too...he has a very high ceiling and has yet to even approach it. interesting discussion, and will always be a great debate.

I never thought of the Garnett/TWolves-Alcindor/UCLA comparisons, but you are right on.

And I agree, UCLA had some talent, but did they have a glue guy like Mike Rogers or Howard Little?  Therein lies the difference between these two uber-talented teams.

Valpo89

I would pay to see that game this weekend. And I would say this year's Crusaders would beat the crap out of the 1968 UCLA Bruins. I'll take the 18-23 year olds on this team vs. the 60-somethings of that UCLA team any time.
As a freshman, would Jay Harris be eligible? Or would there be a freshman game first?

dcvalpo

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 24, 2011, 09:08:22 AM
I would pay to see that game this weekend. And I would say this year's Crusaders would beat the crap out of the 1968 UCLA Bruins. I'll take the 18-23 year olds on this team vs. the 60-somethings of that UCLA team any time.
As a freshman, would Jay Harris be eligible? Or would there be a freshman game first?

Good point about Harris.  ML, can you chime in here?

One thing that has not been mentioned is that Homer does a far superior job using internet technology to prepare his team with scouting info than Wooden ever did.  We cannot overlook that.

dcvalpo

Quote from: valpo84 on March 23, 2011, 11:26:41 PM
Having beaten Butler this year who made the Championship Game last year and who beat the #1 seed Pittsburgh last week, whose former coach is now at UCLA, there are some real positives going into this game.

Having read this and thought on it, I'm convinced Pitt's program is not head and shoulders better than us.

StlVUFan

I'm having trouble separating the sarcasm from the seriousness in this thread, but I gotta say: I don't mind one bit.  For some strange reason, I find this entertaining.

Valpo89

Lew Alcindor is head and shoulders taller than anyone on VU's roster who sees actual playing time.

dcvalpo

Who is a nicer guy---Homer or Wooden?  That is a huge match-up in this contest

DMvalpo18

Quote from: dcvalpo on March 24, 2011, 09:50:53 AM
Quote from: valpo84 on March 23, 2011, 11:26:41 PM
Having beaten Butler this year who made the Championship Game last year and who beat the #1 seed Pittsburgh last week, whose former coach is now at UCLA, there are some real positives going into this game.

Having read this and thought on it, I'm convinced Pitt's program is not head and shoulders better than us.

Well, any team butler beat this year can't be head and shoulders above us. despite needing overtime, we certainly got it done against them.

a3uge

UCLA. They'd be smart enough to foul Buggs each time he touches the ball. Don't think this one would be close.

dcvalpo

Quote from: a3uge on March 24, 2011, 05:45:06 PM
UCLA. They'd be smart enough to foul Buggs each time he touches the ball. Don't think this one would be close.

You're kidding, right?

valpo84

Yeah, but UCLA has that "sock ritual" which is worth a few points. Although, Homer will respond during the pregame -- "Hey, those guys in the other locker room put their socks on the same as we do." Which is probably not true unless we have adopted the "sock ritual."
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Valpo89

Quote from: valpo84 on March 24, 2011, 08:54:13 PM
Yeah, but UCLA has that "sock ritual" which is worth a few points. Although, Homer will respond during the pregame -- "Hey, those guys in the other locker room put their socks on the same as we do." Which is probably not true unless we have adopted the "sock ritual."
What happens when Homer pulls out the old "Dodger Blue" jacket for even more inspiration?

dcvalpo

This brings up another interesting connection.  Tommy Lasorda is a great supporter and motivator for VU basketball...he, of course, coached the Los Angeles Dodgers.  That is the same LA that is in UCLA folks.  Freaky stuff.

dcvalpo

Can we move on to predictions?

2010-11 Valpo 78, 1967-68 UCLA 54....Valpo going away.  Too much speed and too many upfakes from Cory

DMvalpo18

Quote from: dcvalpo on March 24, 2011, 12:49:19 PM
Who is a nicer guy---Homer or Wooden?  That is a huge match-up in this contest

i might give the edge to homer here. wooden makes his players memorize some pyramid of success, or whatever he likes to call it, and also does not allow his players to dunk. homer lets them dunk, and doesn't make them memorize such things.