• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Roster Also Posted

Started by vubballfan10, August 12, 2012, 08:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vubballfan10

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/roster/2012-13/

Of Note:
- Jordan Coleman is listed as a Junior, so I guess he only got two years of eligibility instead of three
- Vashil Fernandez is listed as a Sophomore, so last year when he sat out was a year of eligibility lost.
- No walk-ons as of yet.  (Doesn't mean there won't be any, especially since Stegelmann and Carpenter weren't announced as walk-ons until mid      November this past season)
*Remember, the year to the left of the slash is the player's academic year, and the year to the right of the slash is their year in terms of basketball eligibility.

sectionee

It is nice to see all the names we were expecting to see listed. Unlike last year when we were left wandering about Vashil and Dino.

vubballfan10

I'm disappointed that Coleman doesn't get 3 years, since he only played 2 early season games his Freshman year at Hawaii.  I know there was debate on whether he would get 2 or 3 years, can someone explain his eligibility situation?

valpopal

I notice Rowdy is listed at 215 lbs., just as he was last year. His freshman year he was listed at a generous 185. However, I'm hoping he has bulked up even a bit more with muscle. The stronger he is, the better he performs and the more stamina he has for the season.

vubballfan10

Every returning player is listed at the exact same height and weight as last season. 

Although looking at the rosters of the past few seasons, I noticed some changes that are noteworthy:

Erik Buggs was 6-0 as a Freshman, 5-10 as a true Sophomore and a Redshirt Sophomore, and 5-11 ever since.  That is kind of odd because he definitely did not shrink 2 inches, and then gain an inch.

Matt Kenney grew from 6-3 to 6-4 between his Sophomore and Junior seasons.

Ryan Broekhoff grew from 6-6 to 6-7 between his Sophomore and Junior seasons, added gained 15 pounds during each offseason of 2010 and 2011.  185 lbs as a Freshman, 215 lbs as a Junior.  Being 6-6 and 185 lbs as a Freshman explains why he was a defensive liability at times that year with limited playing time.

swiftmutiny

The heights/weights are probably just placeholders. I imagine they won't do official measurements until closer to the start of the season.

Also, wow. Over half the roster are transfer players.

vubballfan10

Quote from: swiftmutiny on August 13, 2012, 08:33:18 PMThe heights/weights are probably just placeholders. I imagine they won't do official measurements until closer to the start of the season. Also, wow. Over half the roster are transfer players.
There has only been one player to play for Valpo as a Freshman from the 2010, 2011, and 2012 recruiting classes: Jay Harris.  2009 and 2013 classes were/are both stacked with Freshman.

While Valpo has 7 scholarship players who are transfers on their roster, Detroit had 8 scholarship transfers on their roster in 2009-10.