• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Northwestern job

Started by Chairback, March 13, 2013, 10:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 16, 2013, 11:15:52 AMHere's the ESPN.com link:

Duke and Lehigh guys rumored to be targets

The Chicago Tribune
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-northwestern-bill-carmody-fired-2013,0,2953949.story
says it's not clear if he was fired or resigned.  (?)

And says

Duke associate head coach Chris Collins, Bucknell coach Dave Paulsen, Valparaiso's Bryce Drew and Northern Iowa's Ben Jacobson are among those expected to receive consideration from Phillips [the NU AD].

ValpoHoops

Very common. 100k is quite high, however.

wh

Bryce's name was mentioned on the 2 main Chicago sports radio stations within the past 90 min. as someone whose name will come up as a possible candidate for the NW vacancy.  One of the talking heads said he may be actually beyond a job like NW after 2 excellent seasons at Valpo in addition to his "pedigree."  They talked about the struggle IL had last year getting high profile candidates interested, even though it is considered a much better job than NW.   

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on March 16, 2013, 12:58:29 PM
The Chicago Tribune
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-northwestern-bill-carmody-fired-2013,0,2953949.story
says it's not clear if he was fired or resigned.  (?)

And says

Duke associate head coach Chris Collins, Bucknell coach Dave Paulsen, Valparaiso's Bryce Drew and Northern Iowa's Ben Jacobson are among those expected to receive consideration from Phillips [the NU AD].

There is a side bar poll:  Bryce is on it.  Everybody vote for any candidate EXCEPT Bryce.  Maybe we can swing the sentiment away from him  ::)   :crazy:

milanmiracle

If I am taking a job in Chicago, it's going to be DePaul, not Northwestern. That being said, there's no reason you can't win at Northwestern. Granted they've never made the tournament, but the have the facilities, conference and local talent to get enough to compete for an NCAA bid every year. I think it just takes the right coach.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

VULB#62

Much praise for the 'Xs and Os coach', but biggest slams on Carmody in the Trib were:  1) indifferent recruiting; 2) out of touch with current social media (old school), and 3) abrupt style with NU alumni supporters. 

agibson

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 16, 2013, 02:35:38 PMbut the have the facilities

Huh.  The tribune seemed quick to report that they had the worst facilities in the Big Ten.  Don't they play in a gym, more or less?

usc4valpo

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 16, 2013, 02:35:38 PMIf I am taking a job in Chicago, it's going to be DePaul, not Northwestern. That being said, there's no reason you can't win at Northwestern. Granted they've never made the tournament, but the have the facilities, conference and local talent to get enough to compete for an NCAA bid every year. I think it just takes the right coach.

I am not sure I agree with this.  DePaul has similar problems as Northwestern, and Jean Lenti-Ponsetto, the DePaul AD, is a complete knucklehead.  She has no clue in building a big conference college basketball program.  They are synonomous to General Motors, where they are still trying to live the good old days of Ray Meyer.  Their facilities are also below par, and the Allstate Arena is a generic dump 40 minutes away from campus.  Students could care less about the team.  The school cannot commit to better facilities.  At least Northwestern's AD has had success at a school renown for tough academics.

I cannot understand why Chris Collins or Bryce Drew would consider coaching at Northwestern, as it has been a dead end coaching job for quite a while.  Chicago currently is a terrible college basketball town.

usc4valpo

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 16, 2013, 02:35:38 PMIf I am taking a job in Chicago, it's going to be DePaul, not Northwestern. That being said, there's no reason you can't win at Northwestern. Granted they've never made the tournament, but the have the facilities, conference and local talent to get enough to compete for an NCAA bid every year. I think it just takes the right coach.

Also, Northwestern has poor facilities for awhile.  Recruiting has been difficult because of facilities, tradition and academic restrictions.  Recruiting kids out of Chicago is difficult because of the academic restrictions compared to the other Big 10 schools. 

Again Collins and Drew would make a big mistake taking that job.

wh

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 16, 2013, 05:13:16 PM

Also, Northwestern has poor facilities for awhile.  Recruiting has been difficult because of facilities, tradition and academic restrictions.  Recruiting kids out of Chicago is difficult because of the academic restrictions compared to the other Big 10 schools. 

Again Collins and Drew would make a big mistake taking that job.

Someone on Chicago ESPN Chicago radio said that Northwestern has the worst basketball venue and practice facilities in the Big 10. It's the old thing - you get what you pay for ---

--- Except for VU of course, which has the Drew family to thank exclusively for its success despite inferior facilities and repeated pleas by Homer for years.

valpotx

Bryce would not leave Valpo for NW, that would be a career-ending move.  If/when he leaves, it will be to a team like Wake Forest, as mentioned in one of the other threads.  The Valpo job is a better job than NW...
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

totally and unbiasedly agree.Northwestern is notshowing the cmmittmentto compete in the Big10.  Academics is one factor but not the only factor here.  Welsh-Ryan is a renovated dump built off a generic cheaply built McGaw Hall.

I think Valpo can make changes in the ARC, clean it up, expand it, this can expand to be something really, really great.  Perhaps bagging football to provide more funding can assist to this - but that is another debate.

VULB#62

Not arguing at all, but went to a review of Welsh-Ryan (8,100 capacity) and their conclusion was that it is the best college BB venue in the Chicagoland area.  So, better than UIC, LUC, Chicago State, and DePaul.  Is that saying much?  I can't say. Can still be the worst in the B1G, though -- although the review points to the intimacy of the place with the fans right on top of the game.  With the proper coach and a winning record, playing at home in a band box can be a real advantage (like the UNM Pit).  NU went through a couple of joke eras in FB and came back three times as I recall (Ara, Barnett and now Fitzgerald) so it's not an impossible challenge.

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/welsh-ryan-arena-s783/

Also, this a recent (3/16) Tribune article:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-16/sports/ct-spt-0317-haugh-big-ten-tournament-chicago-20130317_1_nu-ad-jim-phillips-northwestern-athletic-director

Collins from Duke is mentioned as the front runner and a parallel is drawn between him and FB coach Fitzgerald.  Bryce is not mentioned.  Great quote from the article, however:
"Old buildings have charm when programs win but become excuses when they lose."  Hinkle is cited as an example of the former.

Apparently there is a $250 million lakefront megacenter on the boards there.

ValpoHoops

Welsh-Ryan arena itself is not that nice. Sure it seats 8100, but its old and deteriorating...easily the worst in the B1G (now, there are also some awesome facilities in this league).

You are exactly right, 62, that if you win, an old, beat-up arena is called quaint, historic, etc....but when you lose, its called an excuse.

All of that said, I've seen some drawings of the lakefront plans and they are impressive. If they pull this off, they will jump to the top half/third of the B1G immediately in terms of facilities.

VULB#62

BTW, I then checked out the ARC review for contrast.  It's dated (pre Homer Drew Court), but seems to capture the general opinions I see here on teh board. I don't mean to hi-jack the string, so replies should stay in line with the NU job -- this is just FYI stuff.  They also review Brown Field -- but I don't want to go there   :-[

Crusade to Valpo
Official Review by Paul Swaney, Stadium Journey Co-Founder
The dully-named Athletics-Recreation Center (or the "ARC") has served as the home of Valparaiso basketball since 1984. It is an intimate 5,000-seat arena consisting mostly of bleacher seats. 

While there is nothing remarkable about the facility, it does have one important thing going for it- it is located in the great basketball state of Indiana.
Each area is rated from 0 to 5 stars with 5 being the best. The overall composite score is the "FANFARE Score".
Food & Beverage        2
The ARC has two concession stands, both with few options, but affordable nonetheless. Pizza and soda each go for $2. The pizza is well worth the price and the soda (Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Gatorade, and Mountain Dew) comes in the original plastic 20 ounce container.

I would advise grabbing a bite to eat in downtown Valparaiso if you want something more substantial, otherwise, a slice of pizza will do nicely.
Atmosphere          3
More historical than the ARC, is the former home of the team, the Hilltop Gym. It is accessible during games and includes the retired numbers of, most notably, Bryce Drew, hero of the 1998 NCAA Tournament. Larry Bird also once played a collegiate game in this tiny gym, so you may want to at least peek your head inside.

I was present for a game against a bad UIC team, and the place was about half full. It was far from being noisy, but I did appreciate that they had a 12-member pep band, and a fairly raucous student section.
Neighborhood          3
Valparaiso is a nice little college town, and there are bars and restaurants within a reasonable walking distance of the game. I chose to drive on this cold night, but on foot it's probably a 20 minute walk from downtown. There are numerous choices including familiar names like Buffalo Wild Wings.

I stopped into Pikk's Tavern. They describe themselves in three words: Steaks. Wine. Friends. Good things in my book. Unfortunately, I had none of those things as I was by myself, stuck with beer, and stayed on the appetizer menu. The good news is that the steaks I saw looked good from a distance, and I really enjoyed my food. 

I tried the Scotch Egg, and left wondering why I don't have these things for breakfast more often. In case you don't know, a scotch egg is a hard-boiled egg, encased in sausage and then baked. It's about the size of your closed fist. They also have a good beer selection, and very friendly service.

My second stop was the Franklin House Bar. This was a more typical sports bar, with four big screens in the main bar, and plenty of dudes, sitting around drinking. They do have a nice beer selection and a decent Reuben sandwich.

On the down side, the bar is quite smoky, but if you don't mind that, this could be a good place to spend some time and have a few beers.
Fans            4
Compared to other Indiana basketball experiences, I was a little disappointed with the fans at Valparaiso. That's not to say they were disinterested, just lacked that magic that I felt at Butler and Assembly Hall in Bloomington.

The student section was properly showing homage to Homer Drew, the head basketball coach for more than 2 decades. Most donned shirts that read, "Drew's Crew," and a few fans wore Homer Simpson masks that looked to be incredibly hot.
Access            4
I found parking to be a snap, parking on Brown Street about 2 blocks from the arena, only about 15 minutes before the tipoff. I had heard bad things about the ability to park at Valpo, but found that not to be an issue in the town or at the game.

There are not too many restrooms, so if you go when there's a packed house, it may be beneficial for you to sneak away from your seat a minute or so before the halftime buzzer sounds.
Return on Investment          3
I paid $15 total online the day of the game (that included delivery fee and ordering fee). My seat was in the upper mezzanine. A word of warning, if your seat is too low in this section, you will be sitting behind the railing and your view will be obstructed. If you sit too high, then the banners will slightly obstruct your view, and you won't be able to see the scoreboard. 

My advice would be to either spring for a lower level seat, or sit somewhere between rows DD and KK. You do get good value on the pizza and the parking, but overall, I think $15 is pushing the limit of what I would pay to experience this venue again.
Extras        2
One bonus point is attributable to head coach Homer Drew, who went out of his way to shake the hand of the singer of the National Anthem- a very classy move. I also reward an extra point to the three guys with the Homer Simpson masks on because I just can't see how they kept those sweaty things on the whole game.
Final Thoughts
I generally do not pass up an opportunity to see college basketball played in the state of Indiana, and would probably return to Valpo for a game against a better opponent. I would also love to see them rename the facility or the floor itself after Homer Drew for his long service to the university, not to mention for being half responsible for the birth of Bryce Drew, the school's best known player.

VULB#62

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 17, 2013, 11:11:54 AM
Welsh-Ryan arena itself is not that nice. Sure it seats 8100, but its old and deteriorating...easily the worst in the B1G (now, there are also some awesome facilities in this league).

You are exactly right, 62, that if you win, an old, beat-up arena is called quaint, historic, etc....but when you lose, its called an excuse.

All of that said, I've seen some drawings of the lakefront plans and they are impressive. If they pull this off, they will jump to the top half/third of the B1G immediately in terms of facilities.

The release on the $220 million multi-sport facility makes no mention of a new basketball arena -- just a 2,500 seat practice facility.  Seems more football oriented.  Sounds like they'd have to renovate Welsh-Ryan also if BB was to reap any benefits.

70zboy

[  They are synonomous to General Motors, where they are still trying to live the good old days of Ray Meyer.  Their facilities are also below par, and the Allstate Arena is a generic dump 40 minutes away from campus.  Students could care less about the team.  The school cannot commit to better facilities.  At least Northwestern's AD has had success at a school renown for tough academics. I cannot understand why Chris Collins or Bryce Drew would consider coaching at Northwestern, as it has been a dead end coaching job for quite a while.  Chicago currently is a terrible college basketball town.

Couldn't agree more. DePaul could've built an arena a couple miles west of the campus 30 years ago. Instead they're stuck in the dump "Allstate Arena". They probably should be in the Horizon League now. College basketball is indifferent in Chicago unless a team is really good. I do think it is possible for NU to compete better in the Big 10 with the right coach and a updated arena.

MattCarter

Quote from: wh on March 16, 2013, 01:05:19 PMBryce's name was mentioned on the 2 main Chicago sports radio stations within the past 90 min. as someone whose name will come up as a possible candidate for the NW vacancy.  One of the talking heads said he may be actually beyond a job like NW after 2 excellent seasons at Valpo in addition to his "pedigree."  They talked about the struggle IL had last year getting high profile candidates interested, even though it is considered a much better job than NW.
I totally agree with whoever you heard.  NU is, at best, a SIDE STEP from Valpo.  NU has NEVER been to NCAA and we are in THIS YEAR.  NU's gym is pathetic and their athletic department has NEVER been behind the basketball team...even in years they had a chance to do something.  They are in the wrong conference and in the wrong city.   Now if Matt Painter woulda gotten fired...
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

wh

As it pertains to men's basketball NW is the DePaul of the Big 10.  Both programs contribute nothing to their respective conferences, but are the first to provide their bank acct. numbers when someone else earns them something.  Kind of like the half of American society that pays no federal income tax but gladly takes that monthly check provided by those of us who do.

agibson

Quote from: wh on March 18, 2013, 10:05:55 AMKind of like the half of American society that pays no federal income tax but gladly takes that monthly check provided by those of us who do.

We could explore this further over in Off Topic some place.  Suffice it to say that this is, at best, an oversimplification.

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on March 18, 2013, 10:28:29 AM
Quote from: wh on March 18, 2013, 10:05:55 AMKind of like the half of American society that pays no federal income tax but gladly takes that monthly check provided by those of us who do.

We could explore this further over in Off Topic some place.  Suffice it to say that this is, at best, an oversimplification.

I agree.

valpo84

When did WH become "Rick" or am I just catching up?
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

LaPorteAveApostle

When did everyone else become the Sensitive Police and freak out over a throwaway line?

Because the truth strikes too close to home?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 18, 2013, 01:35:24 PMBecause the truth strikes too close to home?

Now you're starting to sound a little like "Rick."
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Quote from: agibson on March 18, 2013, 10:28:29 AM

Thanks, but not interested.  The redistribution of wealth issue is like the abortion issue - no room for compromise.  Let's stick to basketball.