• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Expectations Poll

Started by wh, March 03, 2013, 07:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What final outcome will meet your personal expectations for this year's team?

Appearance in the NIT (expectations met)
2 (3.9%)
1 or more NIT wins
3 (5.9%)
Appearance in the NCAA Tournament
33 (64.7%)
1 or more NCAA Tournament wins
13 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: March 09, 2013, 07:26:31 PM

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on March 14, 2013, 10:54:31 PMBroekhoff doesn't play his best the whole game, Valpo doesn't win.

In the HL, not true, as we've seen, but in the NCAA, which you meant, abso-freakin-lutely.

Seems to me he's had a number of games where he comes out at the start, hits a couple threes, and then disappears, more or less, until crunch time.

If that happens, we'll be looking at an Arizona / Gonzaga-type 1st round rather than an Ole Miss / BC type game.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo84

I respect others' opinions on this, but the angst and nitpicking about Ryan and the team has been unimagineable this week. We just won 26 games, 13-3 in conference, a tremendous road record in conf (7-1) and won both regular season and tourney championships in the 12th rated conference (Debbie Downers please insert critiques of each of these). Indiana, Miami and Kansas all had clunkers on the road losing to teams "they shouldn't have."

As to Ryan, what seems to be missing is a discussion of what others' defenses are doing to stop the defending POY (and should have been this year). Ryan is a consummate TEAM player who can take over a game when needed or hit the critical shot. If his mates are hitting shots and the offense is generating good looks for others, then he is happy for those passes and shots. He doesn't disappear if he is being doubled and tripled teamed in the lane and dumps to open looks of Will and Matt (see games before the tourney). In the tourney both GB and WSU ran doubles at the top of the key forcing Ryan to give up the ball. If he drove, they collapsed to the lane. Obviously, we needed some knock down 3s to get them out of it. They also were laying off Buggs to help in the middle on KVW and Ryan's drives. Instead of forcing (then we'd hear how Ryan errr Ali forced it and turned it over, etc), we adjusted to set screens in the lane for Buggy, who stepped up and was MVP. Ryan was very happy for Buggy. The key to 26 wins is that when one is shut down someone else steps up. We have 7 guys who can go for double digits on any night, and 4 (Ryan, KVW, Buggy, Kenney) who can go for 20. The key to the tourney will be hitting the open looks that will be there.

So stop the Lutheran guilt and angst. We have one of the top teams in Valpo history as some said. This is not the team that played Arizona, and there's no Arizona type team we'll see in 2d rd (for the "technicalitites" out there). I was at the Arizona game and we have not faced many like that since (Duke and UNC would be the exceptions). So, sit back, have a sip of good bourbon and enjoy the ride.

BTW my expectations are still one win in tourney but if we play well I will still believe we have climbed a huge mountain to be where we are. To win a conference tourney is something you have to learn to do no matter you're talent. When the moment arrives, how will you respond. Experience in those moments helps. Why do you think Butler has been successful, because they learned how to win those more than lose them. This may be the most enjoyable to watch and know since the 1998 team. Enjoy watching them and yes expectations are higher than normal and should be because we should dream big. Our family wants this team to be successful, not for our own satisfaction, but because they have worked hard and deserve the success and praise that comes with it. Build them up this week. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpo84

And one other thing, these are the times I miss RLH's perspective on this Board. Wish he could be here with us to celebrate this fantastic season. Folks, life is too short and you don't when it may be gone, so revel in those things that bring you joy, and Valpo hoops has done that for us for many, many years. You saw the story on Janet and Homer. God has blessed the Drews, the Valpo84s and Valpo in general this past year. Remember to thank Him for your blessings.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu72

Quote from: valpo84 on March 15, 2013, 09:11:05 AM
And one other thing, these are the times I miss RLH's perspective on this Board. Wish he could be here with us to celebrate this fantastic season. Folks, life is too short and you don't when it may be gone, so revel in those things that bring you joy, and Valpo hoops has done that for us for many, many years. You saw the story on Janet and Homer. God has blessed the Drews, the Valpo84s and Valpo in general this past year. Remember to thank Him for your blessings.

Very well said to say the least.  I would only add that performance in the NCAAs can be helped along by experience on big stages.  Small conference teams that have maybe one or two games against the bigs in big arenas are the ones who generally take it on the chin.  Our team not only has experience in general but players who have played on major stages many times.  I'm hoping this puts us over the top.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

All well said. Maybe the biggest surprise of Valpo in the NCAA tourney will be a big surprise from a player like Capo, Kenney or Dority who go for 25 or more and take Valpo past the first round. Wouldn't that be glorious?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: bbtds on March 15, 2013, 01:54:24 PM
All well said. Maybe the biggest surprise of Valpo in the NCAA tourney will be a big surprise from a player like Capo, Kenney or Dority who go for 25 or more and take Valpo past the first round. Wouldn't that be glorious?

that would be fantastic. if i had to guess (and that's all this is), i'd look for something potentially from one of our senior transfers (bogan/boggs), kenney (who seems to go off at important times), or capo just because of his size and style of play. capo sometimes reminds me as a shorter, white version of alex oriakhi - not afraid to get his hands dirty and plays all out.

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on March 15, 2013, 09:11:05 AM
:thumbsup:

milanmiracle

Quote from: bbtds on March 15, 2013, 01:54:24 PM

Kenney - When he's good, Valpo's good. He's got the ability, he just needs to stay confident. I don't think Capo or Dority have it in them to carry a team. Ryan will need him if they're going to do anything noteworthy in the NCAA's.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

atkins

I think you're right about Kenney.  If both Ryan and he are on, Valpo has a shot (pun intended).  The sort of team that we will play will be able to compensate for Buggs' quickness, so I doubt Buggs will have many easy baskets inside.  It all comes down to outside shooting, making free throws, and LIGHTENING UP ON THE DAMN TURNOVERS.  Sorry for shouting.  And for saying damn.