• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013-2014 schedule

Started by oklahomamick, May 10, 2013, 11:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: ARCInsider on August 25, 2013, 12:47:48 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on August 22, 2013, 09:27:09 AM
So just looking over these posts, the only possible BCS team is Illinois? I hope I missed something and there's more than 1.

Well, the new AAC is not in those 6 traditional BCS conferences, but it more or less is a replacement for the Big East.  Yes, the new Big East exists, but it is not a football conference.  The AAC includes UConn, Cincy, among others...if we were playing UConn, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.

Not crazy about a home and home in the same season, but UCF is a quality opponent.

UCONN, Cincinnati... and you forgot Louisville and Memphis. That's enough to make it a better conference than the PAC12 or SEC this year. But that shouldn't take anything away or give anything to UCF.

I think it's kind of dumb that scheduling Nebraska/Washington St or even UNC/Ohio State looks better to people than scheduling Murray State or other schools that are great mid majors.

crusadermoe

.................zzzzzzzzz.....wake me up when someone knows something new.   All eyes are turned toward North Dakota this Thursday and football talk will make everyone forget we even have a hoops team.    ;D

valpotx

Quote from: VU75 on August 24, 2013, 07:57:33 PM
Take comfort in how it would drive a Frenchman crazy to see that cowboy hat on top  of the Eiffel Tower in Paris Texas.

And add Robert Morris to the schedule as the second exhibition game Saturday November 2.

The French would just surrender before even getting the opportunity to see it  ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: FWalum on August 24, 2013, 08:57:54 PMIPFW is not on the schedule this year, and many at IPFW are not too happy about it.  IPFW head coach Tony Jasick has put together a really watered down schedule this season which should allow him to win 20 games. Most home games have been moved from the Memorial Coliseum back on campus to the Gates Center and that is the rumored excuse used by VU for not playing here this coming season.  I personally believe the game could have been played but Jasick just did not want to stick his neck out with a quality opponent. They will have one of the weakest schedules in Div I.

It could possibly help him keep his job aso since he'll be able to point to a winning record.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Pathfinder

bbtds

Here's the recap of the schedule so far from the posts in this thread:

Oct. 26     Hillsdale (MI)  exhibition
Nov. 2      Robert Morris (IL)  exhibition
Nov. 8      Murray State
Nov. 10     North Park
Nov. 13     at Illinois  (6:30 p.m.)
Nov. 21     at Evansville
Nov. 23     James Madison
Nov. 26     Central Florida
Nov. 29     Mercer
Nov. 30     ? ? ? ?
Dec. 4      at Ball State
Dec. 7      Saint Louis
Dec. 14     Loyola Marymount (2 p.m.)
Dec. 22     at Central Florida
Dec. 20-23 Rio Grande (OH) or Southeastern at Orlando
Jan. 2        UIC
Jan. 4        at Oakland
Jan. 10      Wright St
Jan. 18      Milwaukee
Jan. 23.     at Youngstown St
Jan. 25      at Cleveland State
Jan. 29      Green Bay
Feb. 1       at UIC
Feb. 7       Detroit
Feb. 9       Oakland
Feb. 15     at Milwaukee
Feb. 22     Youngstown St
Mar. 1       Cleveland St

no dates yet--at Ohio U, Alcorn St, at East Tenn St

Valpo89

I wish one of the exhibition games was against St. Xavier of Chicago so Brad Karp would have had a chance to play in his hometown.

talksalot

So I'm glad we won't go a season without a Double-Header... November 2... 1:30pm Kickoff at Brown Field against the Torero's and the game with Robert Morris College that evening.  Can't beat fun at the old ball parks.

Pathfinder

James Madison released its schedule today. Nov. 23 at the Arc.

VULB#62

Cool. Nice to see an Eastern team (well, Mid-Eastern) on our schedule. 

From their website:

The defending Colonial Athletic Association champions will officially tip off the season on Friday, Nov. 8 at the John Paul Jones Arena against Virginia. It will be just the second meeting in the last 30 years between the programs, the first since 2003.

One week later, the Dukes embark to DeKalb, Illinois for the first of two tournament events. JMU will face host Northern Illinois (5-25) on Nov. 15 followed by additional games at NIU vs. Milwaukee (8-24) and San Jose State (9-20).

After JMU returns for the Detroit home contest on Nov. 19, the Dukes hit the road again for games Nov. 23 at defending Horizon League regular season champion  (excuse me?) Valparaiso (26-8), Nov. 27 at Winthrop (14-17) and Nov. 30 at Richmond (19-15).

a3uge

Technically a tournament team that won a game last year. They actually played Indiana a lot closer than they should have last year. Not a bad team, I remember watching them kill northeastern in the CAA Championship game, which if I recall correctly was one of the first bids given out.

Damn I miss March.

crusadermoe

Wow....nice home schedule taking shape.    Hope that jacks up the crowd sizes.  Strong local talent should be a draw as well.

valpopal

Based upon the projected schedule here, Keith Carter's first game of eligibility should be in Orlando since final exams end the afternoon of Dec. 20. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Not soon enough for anyone on this board! :/

Has there been any talk around the program about taking KC up on his word and applying for the redshirt for last year that would give him another (fourth) year of eligibility here? [hopeful emoticon goes here]
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

Youngstown State just posted their schedule:

Valpo Thursday, January 23rd at Youngstown
Youngstown State Thursday, Feb 20th at the ARC

The Full Penguin Schedule:

November
Fri    8    at Kennesaw St.    Kennesaw State Tournament       7:30 PM    
Sat    9    vs. Florida Int'l    Kennesaw State Tournament       3:00 PM    
Sun    10    vs. Eastern Kentucky    Kennesaw State Tournament       1:00 PM    
Thu    14    Warren Wilson    Kennesaw State Tournament       TBA    
Sun    17    at Massachusetts          TBA    
Wed    20    Thiel          TBA    
Sat    23    Westminster (Pa.)          TBA    
Wed    27    at Kent State          TBA    
Sat    30    Austin Peay          TBA    
December    
Wed    4    Robert Morris          TBA    
Sat    7    at UMKC          TBA    
Sat    14    at Pittsburgh          TBA    
Tue    17    Bethune-Cookman          TBA    
Sat    21    at St. John's (N.Y.)          TBA    Live stats
Sun    29    South Dakota          TBA    
January    
Thu    2    at Milwaukee *          TBA    
Sat    4    at Green Bay *          TBA    
Tue    7    at UIC *          TBA    
Mon    13    Cleveland State *          TBA    
Sat    18    Detroit *          TBA    
Thu    23    Valparaiso *          TBA    
Sat    25    Wright State *          TBA    
Fri    31    at Oakland *          TBA    
February    
Wed    5    at Wright State *          TBA    
Sun    9    at Detroit *          TBA    
Thu    13    Green Bay *          TBA    
Sat    15    UIC *          TBA    
Thu    20    at Valparaiso *          TBA    
Tue    25    at Cleveland State *          TBA    
March    
Sat    1    Oakland *          TBA

talksalot

Rio Grande Just released their schedule... and we're NOT ON IT!

They are in Orlando at UCF the same weekend we are... but they are playing:

21        @    University of Central Florida               
   UCF Classic at Orlando, Fla.
   22        vs.    Southeastern University               
   UCF Classic at Orlando, Fla.

SO, I looked at the Southeastern University Fire's schedule which they just posted:

Dec. 21, 2013   vs. Rio Grande University   Orlando, Fla.         
Dec. 22, 2013   @ University of Central Florida (Exhibition)   Orlando, Fla.   

So I confirmed the UCF Schedule:
Jackson Hewitt UCF Holiday Classic
12/21/13    vs. Rio Grande    Orlando, Fla.    TBA
12/22/13    vs. Valparaiso    Orlando, Fla.    TBA

so... this is all screwed up.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: talksalot on August 28, 2013, 07:44:43 AMso... this is all screwed up.
genius!  thanks--that made my day.

or perhaps they're imagineering the future in some kind of cage-style match...do they still call 'em 'cagers'? :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

It would not be so funny if I were not planning to get some plane tickets for a little R&R weekend...  I went to the game the last time we played at UCF...

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on August 28, 2013, 08:05:53 AM
It would not be so funny if I were not planning to get some plane tickets for a little R&R weekend...  I went to the game the last time we played at UCF...

Could it be that UCF is trying to find a 5th team for the tournament that plays both Valpo & UCF? Obviously someone got it wrong.

talksalot

I was thinking they were taking a page out of the spring training for baseball... I'm thinking Split Squad games!   Perhaps, even number players in game 1 and odd number players in game 2?    or Combined squad games... (Valpo and Southeastern Fire) Vs. (Rio Grande Red Storm and UCF Knights).  Make the score book messy... Drive the Chef nuts!!  Especially when they change partners at halftime.

valpopal

The St. Louis game at the ARC will be Dec. 7, and we can add an exhibition against Hillsdale on October 26.

a3uge

I think having two non-D1 games before Murray State is a good idea, especially since we're a team with a bunch of rookies and guys that haven't played much with each other. Overall, I kind of wish we had this OOC last year instead of this year.

jloose128

The game at Illinois will be November 13 at 6:30pm.

Valpo2010

I just received my season ticket info in the mail today...including the full home schedule...

Oct. 26 - Hillsdale
Nov. 2 - Robert Morris
Nov. 8 - Murray State - Championship Banner Raising
Nov. 10 - North Park
Nov. 23 - James Madison Univ. - Hilltop Food Drive
Nov. 26 - UCF
Nov. 29 - Mercer
Nov. 30 - TBD
Dec. 7 - St. Louis - Chicago Bucket Boys Halftime Entertainment
Dec. 14 - Loyola Marymount - First 1,000 fans get free t-shirts
Jan. 2 - UIC - Sponsor appreciation night
Jan. 10 - Wright State - Sky Squad Halftime Entertainment
Jan. 18 - Milwaukee - Retire "24" Jersey
Jan. 29 - Green Bay - The Crusaders Birthday
Feb. 7 - Detroit - Free Valpo Sunglasses
Feb. 9 - Oakland - Zooperstars Halftime Entertainment
Feb. 22 - Youngstown State - Hall of Fame Induction
Mar. 1 - Cleveland State - Senior Night
Mar. 4-11 - HL Tourny

a3uge

Good idea to raise the banners vs Murray St and not a non-D1 opponent.