• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013-2014 Season

Started by classof2014, May 16, 2013, 11:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Vashil play on Saturday. Saw him with a wrist brace on, nothing major was just one of those simple braces that you can buy at Walgreens. So I wouldn't be surprised to not see him play more due to the fact that it's a meaningless game and no need to risk further injuring his wrist.

Like I said don't think it's major or will effect the season at all but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play this weekend in a meaningless game.

bbtds

Quote from: historyman on October 30, 2013, 12:37:43 PM
Quote from: bbtds on October 27, 2013, 11:43:41 PMI was looking at the Milwaukee schedule today and noticed that the Panthers show their exhibition game against Marian University as being shown on HLN.

This must be Todd Lickliter and Rob Jeter renewing their friendship from their Horizon League days.

I really don't think Lickliter and Jeter had much mutual respect for each other from their Horizon League days. And especially not Lickliter and Bruce Pearl.

Anyways, Milwaukee is playing Marian of Fond du Lac, WI and not the Marian Knights of Indianapolis.

talksalot

Since the real season gets underway on 11/8... here's where we stand with some over counts ... not a lot of major milestones pending...

Games Played:  2,392  (#2400 will be the game with Mercer in the ARC on 11/29)
Wins:  1,243 
Losses:  1,149
Total Points:   VU  151,348    Opponents:  149,448   (diff. 1,900)

Since the Lutheran's purchased VU...

Games Played:   2,252
Wins:   1,141
Losses:  1,111
Total Points:  VU   147,449  Opponents:  146,533  (Diff 916)

Since Turning D1 (1997)
Games Played:   1,073
Wins:  541
Losses:  532
Total Points:  VU 74,899   Opponents:  75,009 (Diff -110)

Since the ARC Opened 1984
Games:  391 at home                  388 on the road                   108 Neutral Site games
Wins:  276 at home   (70.6%)      143 on the road (36.9%)         61 Neutral Site Wins (56.5%)
Losses:  115 at home                  245 on the road                     47 Neutral Site Losses

Since joining the Horizon League (HL Games Only)
Games 106
Wins:  63
Losses 43
Total Points:  VU   7,238   Opponents:  7,035

Since Bryce became our coach:
Games Played:  68
Wins:  48
Losses:  20
Total Points:   VU  4,743  Opponents:  4,342

For Kicks:
Homer Drew as coach:  VU average points per game:   71.61     Overall W/L %   54.88    371 - 305
Scott Drew as coach:  VU average points per game:  70.77        Overall W/L %   64.52     20 - 11
Bryce Drew as coach:  VU average points per game:  69.75       Overall W/L %   70.59      48 - 20

covufan

Quote from: talksalot on October 30, 2013, 04:58:17 PMFor Kicks:
Homer Drew as coach:  VU average points per game:   71.61     Overall W/L %   54.88    371 - 305
Scott Drew as coach:  VU average points per game:  70.77        Overall W/L %   64.52     20 - 11
Bryce Drew as coach:  VU average points per game:  69.75       Overall W/L %   70.59      48 - 20

Bring back 'Run and Gun' Homer!!!

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

talksalot

and nobody caught the "1997" that should be "1977" for the D1 start... the info is right, My fingers just can't type.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: talksalot on October 31, 2013, 04:53:24 PMand nobody caught the "1997" that should be "1977" for the D1 start.
i caught it, i just didn't know enough to correct it. 

thanks for the cornucopia of numbers.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Alec Peters named Horizon League Freshman of the Week!

Smj

Way to go Alec ...   From what I've seen - you deserve it.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on November 11, 2013, 04:33:43 PM
Alec Peters named Horizon League Freshman of the Week!

Here's the link to the story from the command central:

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/ysus-perry-valpos-peters-collect-mens-basketball-honors.html

Congratulations Alec!

SanityLost17

The HL is currently 11-20 against D1 opponents... 

Any guesses on what the conference RPI will end up this year?  I have heard many people on this board talk about the "strength" of the horizon league this year.  How strong is it going to be?  Wright St. is dealing with injuries and suspensions.  Oakland is dealing with suspensions.  UIC and Detroit appear to be in complete rebuilding mode.  Valpo and Cleveland State are still young and inexperienced and will not likely realize their potential until conference season begins. 

I am curious how we will stack up RPI wise against other mid-major conferences.  Being in the top 15 every year is a definite recruiting advantage.  Hopefully everyone can start picking up some more wins to ensure that happens. 

LaPorteAveApostle

right now we're 20.
rpiforecast expects us to end up 13th though.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/Horz.html
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

I've predicted that the winner of the HL will be a 15 seed because the non conference schedules of the top teams are terrible and every team will inevitably drop a couple of bad games. Combine that with the fact there isn't a clear front runner and you'll end up with a conference winner that lost 5 or 6 conference games.

valpopal

Meet Alec Peters: interview and three-point shooting—

Valpo All-Access: Alec Peters 11|22|13

milanmiracle

Quote from: a3uge on November 21, 2013, 11:31:00 AM
I've predicted that the winner of the HL will be a 15 seed because the non conference schedules of the top teams are terrible and every team will inevitably drop a couple of bad games. Combine that with the fact there isn't a clear front runner and you'll end up with a conference winner that lost 5 or 6 conference games.

I agree. Well, that, and none of the teams in the Mid Con are actually that good.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpopal

Alec Peters named Horizon League Freshman of the Week for the second time this season already. Lexus Williams named a top performer of the week.

Alec:

"Valparaiso (3-3) split its games on the week falling to Evansville on the road 100-92 and defeating James Madison at home 81-49. The victory over James Madison was Valparaiso's largest versus a Division I opponent since an identical 81-49 win over Toledo on Dec. 12, 2009.

"Peters recorded two double digit performances for the Crusaders highlighted by a 30 point outing at Evansville. His 30 points was the most by a Valparaiso freshman in 13 years, the last coming in 2000 by Raitis Grafs. Peters added 15 points in the win over James Madison and went 14-of-25 in field goals while being a perfect 8-8 on the line over the course of the two games."

Lexus:

"Made first career start Saturday against James Madison, hitting 5-of-7 for 12 points. At Evansville, he had eight points and four assists off of the bench."

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/green-bays-brown-valparaisos-peters-collect-mens-basketball-honors

valpotx

Such is the nature at the beginning of the season, that the HL is now 11th in RPI, with the Summit 27th:

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_horiz_Men.html
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Brown has a triple double against a totally outmanned DIII team where he towers over everyone else, and he's "awarded" HL POW.  Who in the world makes this call?  Is it voted on?  HL office?

valpotx

I was wondering that same thing.  Are FR not going to be eligible for the POW because they created this separate category?  Alec Brown is not as good as some always make him seem...
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

I typically agree with the PoW awards but giving Brown the award is absolutely ridiculous. They beat up on DIII Minnesota-Duluth. while Alec Peters scored 30 and 15 and almost single handily brought us back in the Evansville game. I understand Brown had a triple double but it was against a DIII school but honestly who cares?

bbtds

Quote from: classof2014 on November 25, 2013, 05:21:28 PM
I typically agree with the PoW awards but giving Brown the award is absolutely ridiculous. They beat up on DIII Minnesota-Duluth. while Alec Peters scored 30 and 15 and almost single handily brought us back in the Evansville game. I understand Brown had a triple double but it was against a DIII school but honestly who cares?

I agree. The fact that those awards are given out without enough thought given to the process for choosing the winners makes those awards useless. I'd rather the HL office not bother with it.

valpotx

I wondered about the D-3 designation, so I checked into it as well.  They are apparently D-2, not that it makes it any better for the POW award. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Maybe the HL office is trying to prop up another NBA talent with unjustified awards like they did with Ray Jr...

wh

Quote from: valpotx on November 25, 2013, 05:38:58 PM
I wondered about the D-3 designation, so I checked into it as well.  They are apparently D-2, not that it makes it any better for the POW award. 

Let's see if we can make it a little worse than it already seems on the surface:

- This was an exhibition game for Duluth, not even a real game.
- Duluth's 2 tallest players are 6-7.  One of them didn't play and the other only played 8 minutes.  Their tallest player for the other 32 minutes was 6-6.  It would be interesting to know if Brown actually had to jump to get any of his 10 blocks or his puny 10 rebounds.
- Brown played 31 minutes, despite GB having a 22-point halftime lead.  He had the most minutes of any player on either team.
- No Duluth starter played more than 26 minutes. 
- Despite a 6" height advantage, Brown only shot 5-14 from the field.  He was also a mediocre 5-8 from the FT line for a whopping total of 15 points.

Congratulations YMCA player of the week Alec Brown!

EddieCabot

Quote from: bbtds on November 25, 2013, 05:37:47 PM
I agree. The fact that those awards are given out without enough thought given to the process for choosing the winners makes those awards useless. I'd rather the HL office not bother with it.

I agree ... these awards have been total BS.  Except the ones awarded to Valpo guys ... those were legit.