• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

University of Central Florida, Tuesday Nov. 26 at 7 pm

Started by valpopal, November 24, 2013, 08:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth219

Everyone looked good tonight in different ways. I really like jubrils post skills. He makes scoring look easy down low. I really didn't care for Coleman shooting so many threes and missing them all.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

truth219

What's up with Chadwick wearing a jumper all night

sliman

Well done.  UCF may not be a tournament team, but they are quick and aggressive around the basket.  Our zone was effective in keeping them off the pace I suspect they'd like to play.  Our size led them to play zone most of the game and we did a good job of attacking it most of the night.  Despite some silly fouls that could have proven costly, we looked solid.  Mercer promises to be another good test.  Wish our students could see some of these games but we need home games against decent competition whenever we can get them.

chef

bbtds

Quote from: truth219 on November 26, 2013, 10:03:55 PM
Everyone looked good tonight in different ways. I really like jubrils post skills. He makes scoring look easy down low. I really didn't care for Coleman shooting so many threes and missing them all.

Coleman missed 4 threes, Dority missed 4 threes, Adekoya missed 2 threes, Peters missed 3 threes, on the other hand Peters made 4 threes. My point is why are you picking on Coleman for missing threes when other players missed some threes also.

historyman

What exactly did Lexus do or say to get the technical that led to his fouling out?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpospartan

One of the worst officiated games I've seen in a long while.  It seemed like one zebra (the balding one) called most of the fouls, some of which WERE actual fouls.

FWalum

chef, care to elaborate a little more on what happened in the technical sequence. We really did not get a good look at either of the altercations on the video. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

chef

Dority and Sykes started jawing, nothing serious. Wilson got right in the middle and thus picked up a technical. Williams, probably feeling we were outnumbered now got in Wilson's face and thus picked up the second technical. Just boys being boys. A Chicago kid is always going to have the back of another Chicago kid. The NCAA's head of officials Mark Adams was at the game. I doubt he was impressed.

valpotx

Wow, that's interesting that the head of officials was at a Valpo game.  Has that happened before?  I wouldn't think the mid-major games would draw as much scrutiny among head officials.

Glad that we didn't need Chadwick or Yeo in this game, so that they can heal up for other games.  Mercer lost to Ohio by 9, so it could be two evenly matched teams going up against each other on Friday.  I think our home court advantage will carry us in that game as well.

Great overall effort by everyone, and a special kudos to Bobby for playing up to his abilities like he did several times last year.  We need to see more of that!  How many teams can rotate 3 guys in the 5, and have each contribute on different nights??  We are blessed in this area, regardless of some of the dumb things that happen occasionally  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: sliman on November 26, 2013, 10:14:57 PM
Well done.  UCF may not be a tournament team, but they are quick and aggressive around the basket.  Our zone was effective in keeping them off the pace I suspect they'd like to play.  Our size led them to play zone most of the game and we did a good job of attacking it most of the night.  Despite some silly fouls that could have proven costly, we looked solid.  Mercer promises to be another good test.  Wish our students could see some of these games but we need home games against decent competition whenever we can get them.

Yeah, but that is another what? 400 kids?  Yeah, but why can't the City of Valpo get more interested in seeing a team like UCF?  2300? What's up with the complacency??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

I said this in the chat at several points: Alec Peters is a great passer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

valpopal

Bryce was especially energized in tonight's game, and he was teaching every chance he got to speak with the players on the bench or during time outs. I think the most impressive aspect of the season thus far has been Bryce's ability to blend the freshmen and veterans so quickly. Of course, it helps that we appear to have quality freshmen.

Five players scored in double digits: three veterans (Bobby, LaVonte, Jordan) and two freshmen (Alec and Lexus). Jubril just missed with 8 points. In addition, these six players (three veterans and three freshmen) were on the court the most time, all for 24 minutes or more. In seven games Bryce has done a terrific job creating unity by fitting the new players into the rotation so well. This could pay off big when conference play begins.

The meshing of the freshmen and veterans was really on display, particularly by Bobby and Lexus (especially when Bobby calmed Lexus and led him back to the bench after the technical foul), as well as in the post-game conference.

historyman

Here is the post game press conference.

Valpo Men's Basketball Post-game Press Conference: UCF 11|26|13

I actually don't remember Capo speaking this much at a press conference. He seemed extremely articulate and had a real grasp of the team concept that the coaches are relating to the players.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on November 26, 2013, 10:21:49 PMColeman missed 4 threes, Dority missed 4 threes, Adekoya missed 2 threes, Peters missed 3 threes, on the other hand Peters made 4 threes. My point is why are you picking on Coleman for missing threes when other players missed some threes also.
truth, don't faint, man, i got yer back.

Season 3FG%:
Coleman 21.7
Dority 41.2
Adekoya 25.0 (shouldn't be shooting them either)
Peters 48.5
For reference, last year
Broekhoff 41.7
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

Great game last night. Thought everyone played a terrific game. 5 guys in double figures is great to see, not one player had a spectacular game but everyone played really, really good. The only true complaint I have is missing the on the 3-pointers but we didn't need them and imagine if we had a better night from 3. Like others have said Bryce has done a terrific job blending the freshmen in with the seniors. This team seems to be beginning to fire on all cylinders.

Loved that they jumped out to a big lead and other than one point in the first half where UCF cut the lead to 5, they never let them back in the game. Wouldn't have expected us to beat UCF by 15 and lead from start to end but we did. Great game and it was nice not needing to have a heart attack towards the end of the game like in our 3 road losses.

truth219

This team is going to be great. If we keep this up we could tear up the horizon league

VULB#62

truth219

Nobody runs there mouth about playing the Maui classic. That's a tiny gym.

HC

The 4 of us were home sick last night..my wife and boys with fevers me still recovering from a concussion.  Watched on hLN and thought the team looked and played fantastic. A couple thoughts: 1. I wonder who is going to see fewer minutes when Carter can play. I think it will be Jubril and Valpo will go a bit smaller, but I don't think it should be Lexus going by how he has performed so far. 2. I like the zone defense, Valpo doesn't seem to have the quickness, especially when 2/3 big guys are in to play man consistently. I did notice that UCF was able to get the ball to the high post vs our zone pretty easily which I think Valpo can fix with a bit practice.

Excited for Fridays game!

truth219

I think clay and Lexus might lose some minutes. Adekoya will lose some too but he's effective in the paint. Points in the paint are vital. The more minutes he gets the more upside I see. Besides missing three pointers his shooting percentage is almost perfect

vu72

I know this wasn't the longed for win against a BCS conference, but must be pretty close.  UCF plays in the same conference as National Champ Louisville, U Conn, Cincy and Memphis, and is the seventh ranked conference in the Sagarins.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 27, 2013, 09:38:36 AM
Quote from: wh on November 27, 2013, 08:20:29 AM
UCF fans feeling insulted by a loss to an "inferior" team/conference:

http://ucf.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=71&tid=168835139&mid=168835139&sid=908&style=2

Interesting comment on our "high school gym."

Think of the education most probably get at UCF, and it might explain their lack of knowledge ;).  The AAC may not end up too much higher than the HL in RPI this year, with all the crap teams they added (including UCF)!
"Don't mess with Texas"

MattCarter

Quote from: vu72 on November 27, 2013, 12:15:17 AM
Quote from: sliman on November 26, 2013, 10:14:57 PMWell done.  UCF may not be a tournament team, but they are quick and aggressive around the basket.  Our zone was effective in keeping them off the pace I suspect they'd like to play.  Our size led them to play zone most of the game and we did a good job of attacking it most of the night.  Despite some silly fouls that could have proven costly, we looked solid.  Mercer promises to be another good test.  Wish our students could see some of these games but we need home games against decent competition whenever we can get them.
Yeah, but that is another what? 400 kids?  Yeah, but why can't the City of Valpo get more interested in seeing a team like UCF?  2300? What's up with the complacency??

If Valpo woulda picked up one or two road wins, especially that Illinois game the "community" woulda been more fired up for it.  There were a LOT of season ticket folks who weren't there.  The "sky is falling" weather forecast kept people away.

The area can be pretty fickle about Valpo Basketball IMO.  Once these freshmen are more "stars" (that we know they will be) it will be a much easier draw.
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!