• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/18/14 - 7:05pm CT: Valpo vs. Columbia Game Thread - First Round CIT

Started by valpo04, March 12, 2014, 04:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

well, it was a rollicking time in chat tonight at least.

anyone else find it ironic that a well-oiled team playing 60s-era basketball won the game turning it into 1-on-1?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Well, its over.  Another close, hard fought loss.  This coming from one of our biggest cheerleaders:  What will happen to make this a better result next year?  I have my doubts...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

The CIT feed wasn't bad (presumably it's a Valpo feed).  Video quality was a bit on the low side, think old school streaming.  But rock solid - not a single skip.  And Todd on the call.  No complaint from me.  About the streaming :(

I didn't expect too much from the postseason, so I prefer to see the positives tonight.  Moussa and the block record.  Definite positives from Carter, Fernandez, and Yeo. 

Are all the pieces fit together?  No, of course not.  But there's some potential there. 

Thanks, LVD, for the memories.  A solid season, but definitely not his night.

usc4valpo

I hate to say this but I told you not to take Columbia lightly.

LaPorteAveApostle

It should bear noting that we had just 6 turnovers.  Previous low this year was 9, done twice--the blowout of UCF and the YSU squeaker.  So tempo didn't do us in--may have done us some favors.  And they had 9.  When was the last time we were +3?

In FACT that was the lowest number of TOs we've ever had under Bryce.  Tied the previous low, but the other game was that 50-pt blowout of Holy Cross (not THAT HC).
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 18, 2014, 09:01:52 PMI hate to say this but I told you not to take Columbia lightly.
Seriously?  They weren't any good.  I think that missing their third-best player hurt them, but we shut down their best, and their second-best only showed up for the first and last minutes.

EddieCabot

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 18, 2014, 09:03:40 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on March 18, 2014, 09:01:52 PMI hate to say this but I told you not to take Columbia lightly.
Seriously?  They weren't any good.  I think that missing their third-best player hurt them, but we shut down their best, and their second-best only showed up for the first and last minutes.

Agreed.  That team would finish last in the Horizon.

valpotx

Not even close, Columbia is pretty bad.  USC, did you watch the game??  It almost looked like several of our guys were going through the motions, though several played with passion.  How can we get beat on a crossover dribble, long step-back 2 pointer, against a team with the speed and dribbling skill of any gym's recreational team?  Everything they did seemed to be in slow motion when they drove or dribbled, yet our guys got faked out several times??  WTH!!  That was just plain awful, but kudos to Moussa, Vashil, and Clay for having good games.  LVD should have sat more, as he was very bad for most of the game.  I understand that it was potentially his last collegiate game, but if you are routinely taking on 3 guys, odds are that you will end up 3/16....
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 18, 2014, 09:03:40 PMSeriously?  They weren't any good. 

I don't know where they would have finished in the Horizon.  But, RPI ~130?  18-19-20+ wins?  They weren't a bad team this season.

valpotx

Video visual evidence trumps any paper evidence for me.  They were SLOWWWWWWWWWW...his name is Mortis, the safety tortoise, he always plays it safe!  (Anyone? :))
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

We lost 4 of 5, and 5 of 7, to end the season.

That's dispiriting.

Chairback

Jabril did not show up. Was playing half assed out there. I hope someone takes his starting position next year as he has resorted to shooting crappy threes instead of banging inside.

HC

Last post for a while from me.  I take away from this game a few things: 1st we saw the good that Yeo will bring and hopefully the end of some really dumb play by him too, 2nd we need some new offensive sets for next year, 3rd I thought Vashil was very good for most of the night, I hope he learns when he isn't going to be able to block/alter a shot and these times he needs to stick in for the board, 4th Alec is a great player, 5th Lexus was awful when he played tonight, very different then most of the season, lastly Jubril has impressed me less and less throughout the season I hope a year working out and working on his shooting and what not.....anyways lots to work on and lots to look forward too for next season.

HC is out, peace!

vu72

Columbia played Butleresk.  Slow, controlled, no turnovers, good defense, make some threes.  I think they would be in the top half of the Horizon, like Butler was.  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Our postseason record in the last 19 seasons (13 seasons in postseason): 3-13...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Also, it has to be mentioned in this thread that Bryce didn't make much of an attempt at a 2 for 1 with 54 seconds left with what we had called.  Why not try a drive 10 seconds into the shot clock?  Maybe you get fouled, maybe you don't, but we were only down 1 at that point and it would be the wise thing to do, in getting 2 possessions to their 1.  I don't think we even did this one time this year, in very similar circumstances in several games.  If they come down and get 2, we at least have a chance to tie with a 3, or play the foul game.  You always want to HAVE the ball in the last possession, not give them the chance...
"Don't mess with Texas"

zvillehaze

Quote from: valpotx on March 18, 2014, 09:42:31 PM
Also, it has to be mentioned in this thread that Bryce didn't make much of an attempt at a 2 for 1 with 54 seconds left with what we had called.  Why not try a drive 10 seconds into the shot clock?  Maybe you get fouled, maybe you don't, but we were only down 1 at that point and it would be the wise thing to do, in getting 2 possessions to their 1.  I don't think we even did this one time this year, in very similar circumstances in several games.  If they come down and get 2, we at least have a chance to tie with a 3, or play the foul game.  You always want to HAVE the ball in the last possession, not give them the chance...

Paul Oren made the same observation on Twitter before the last possession.  The 2 for 1 is a staple in the NBA, but not commonly employed in college.  You would think that Bryce, with his NBA background, might use that strategy more than his college counterparts.  Maybe they were trying, but just couldn't find a shot.

valpotx

Zville, I hate saying this, but I actually envy Butler today.  You were able to sit at home, already looking to next season, while we were losing to a pretty poor Columbia team.  What a way to end the season... :-\
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on March 18, 2014, 08:55:13 PMWhat will happen to make this a better result next year?  I have my doubts...
A very realistic statement if I've heard one. It may take till Peters' and the other freshmens' senior year before they really have a chance to do something exciting in the Horizon League. There is a lot more to be done at Valpo and if they have a down year it may never happen.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

zvillehaze

Quote from: valpotx on March 18, 2014, 10:05:42 PM
Zville, I hate saying this, but I actually envy Butler today.  You were able to sit at home, already looking to next season, while we were losing to a pretty poor Columbia team.  What a way to end the season... :-\

Haha...we've been looking forward to next season for quite a while now!  March is always more fun when you're part of the Big Dance, and even more fun when it carries into April.  We can cross our fingers and hope next seasons brings better results.  Despite the disappointment tonight, Valpo's future certainly looks bright with the contributions they got from their freshman class this year.  Enjoy the off-season!

atkins

An evenly matched game overall.  We were beaten by a well-schooled team that was obviously less physically skilled but craftier and more effective.  Clearly, Columbia is a more fundamentally sound team than we are at this point in time.  I truly believe that we would lose to Columbia more often than we would defeat them. 

For the umpteenth game, the same defensive lapses occurred repeatedly.  Defensive intensity was spotty at best.  We do not defend the three very well.  Lots of improvement needed on the defensive side for us to have a real chance at defeating a major conference team (other than a mediocre last place team).  Our game against SLU was a fluke.  SLU would blow us off the court if we were to play them again -- They've improved substantially, and I'm not sure we really have improved that much. 

On the positive side, I was pleased to see good work from Vashil and Yeo.  Carter showed flashes of greatness.  Peters (finally) had an outstanding defensive game.  Building blocks.   

justducky

If Jubril can develop that 3 point shot then the whole floor in front of him could start to open up like the parting of the sea. Until then (since very little ever remains static) next year might find him playing in some different roles with fewer total minutes.

I hope he stayed after the game so that he could begin the transformation. 

valpopal

This game ended like a few others witnessed at the ARC this season, a heartbreaking loss in a final possession game. Expectations for the season included the high probability that a team with so many freshmen might have difficulty sealing the deal in close games, and that proved true.

However, now is the time to begin looking forward with hope that this excellent freshmen class will use the experience from their first year, build on it, develop over the summer, and produce better results. In his comments after the game, Alec Peters indicated that was his intention, as well as the goal of his teammates. I think Peters will now assume the role of team spokesman that Dority held this past season, but I also expect that Alec—as LaVonte did last summer—will lead by example.

Consequently, I anticipate that in the fall we will see the freshmen become players that are stronger, smoother, and with an even greater hunger for winning. If Bryce can bring in another good class of freshmen to replace the seniors, the future will be bright.

Therefore, reviewing the final game of the year, I thought it was appropriate that the last Valpo basket of this season was a breakaway slam by one of the freshmen. I will think of my following photo of the shot as an image that offers a sign of optimism for next year, which I hope will become a breakaway season for Clay Yeo and each of his fellow freshmen.

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on March 18, 2014, 09:09:36 PMHow can we get beat on a crossover dribble, long step-back 2 pointer, against a team with the speed and dribbling skill of any gym's recreational team?
Yes, we got beat on a long step-back 2 pointer, but that 2 pointer alone did not beat us.  Great on the ball defense by Carter all night, he DIDN'T GET BEAT on the crossover and made the guy take a very tough shot. What else can you say other than... he made it, Columbia wins.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

I think Keith Carter showed why so many think he is something really special.  Five assts, zero turnovers, great on the ball defense, great passes and hit a key three. His play is something to really look forward to.  Second thing to look forward to is the continued improvement of Vashil.  I don't think he is done improving and his senior year should be very good.  Think about how much he has improved over last year. Next we have Alec Peters and enough said about him. 

The questions get tougher to answer after these three.  Will Jabril get his act together?  Can Clay become a solid contributor?  Will Lexus get back to where he was can improve?  What about E. Victor?  Can he be the athletic, fast big man we need?  What will a year in the weight room do for our young guys?

Lots of questions.  Not many certain answers.  It could be very good or more of the same.  Time will tell.