• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/18/14 - 7:05pm CT: Valpo vs. Columbia Game Thread - First Round CIT

Started by valpo04, March 12, 2014, 04:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 19, 2014, 09:27:58 AMPost game thoughts from the NWI Times blog. 
Vultures:
--no fangs
--do not spit venom

Man, if they did, though...scary times.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

In general, I do agree with him, however (being more optimistic than most).

I think know that the Internet Age has sparked the INSTA-REACTION which in turn prompts the INSTA-OVERREACTION.   That's all this really is, blowing off steam.  We had a bad end to a pleasantly hopeful year, and we'll more accurately assess things in the weeks and months to come.

Gosh, it's a long way to October, with nothing to look forward to, other than the news of Tex's baby :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Speaking of Internet reactions:

LaVonte Dority was probably the most disappointed person in the building after last night's game. Unlike the freshmen who can look forward to next year, this was his last game in a Valpo uniform. As we have seen, Dority put in a lot of hard work over the summer and became an improved player, as well as the team leader this season.

On the court, he gave all he had and took a lot of pounding whenever he drove to the basket. I don't know how many photos I snapped of him being knocked to the ground. Off the court, he also conducted himself admirably, especially when placed in the difficult position of answering questions at press conferences after tough losses like this one. Through it all, LaVonte expressed enthusiasm and fondness for Valparaiso.

Therefore, I was not surprised to see his first tweet after the heartbreaking loss in his final game as a Crusader: "My time at Valpo was everything... Forever a Crusader!" I think LaVonte Dority has earned most fans' admiration during this season, and the sentiment in his message is appreciated.

LaPorteAveApostle

Amen!  He was a bull, though, and I gotta think that as many times as he ended up on the ground, just as many people bounced off him on his way to the rack.

Not very many people scored 500+ in a season in a Valpo uniform...maybe 10?

Forever a Crusader indeed!

valpotx

Quote from: FWalum on March 19, 2014, 07:55:27 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 18, 2014, 09:09:36 PMHow can we get beat on a crossover dribble, long step-back 2 pointer, against a team with the speed and dribbling skill of any gym's recreational team?
Yes, we got beat on a long step-back 2 pointer, but that 2 pointer alone did not beat us.  Great on the ball defense by Carter all night, he DIDN'T GET BEAT on the crossover and made the guy take a very tough shot. What else can you say other than... he made it, Columbia wins.

My statement wasn't meant as a dig against Carter.  It was more in how dumbfounded I was at the end of that shot, that a team with very little skill in dribbling, beat us on a last second shot of that nature...
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

LaVonte poured his heart and soul into making himself the best basketball player and team leader he could possibly be. I will always think of him with great fondness. I have no doubt that wherever life takes him he will make his mark in a big way.

valpotx

Uh oh, the fact checker at the NWI Times didn't catch that Jimmie Miles didn't graduate from Valpo.  I get what the Packers fan was saying, but had to point this out :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

How could I forget CellPhoneGate?!?!?! It was well after midnight by the time I wrote that. Apologies.

usc4valpo

Give Columbia credit.  The final score is the final score.  They may be "bad", but what does that say about the beloved Crusader?

There is certainly lessons learned and room for improvement for next year.

valpo64

It is obvious that the long season took its toll on our frosh.  Can't wait for the next few years to watch them get better and better.  That, along with some new big recruits and others should make for some fun times at the ARC.

valpotx

I hope that we get that 6'11" Seth A guy, so that Vashil's minutes can be kept at 30 or below.  He was able to play 20-25 minutes in a few games this year, and I imagine that 30 will probably be his target for next year.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Isn't Seth A. a junior, or am I confusing him with someone else?

valpotx

Ah, I think that you are correct.  Well, let's get a Juco big guy then!
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

I get it now... I really do. I had a hard time originally seeing LVD as more than a way-point in VU basketball history. Another transfer that I really wouldn't invest much thought into because he would be just "ok".  The first time I saw the LVD halftime video I thought it was a little cheesy... of course every member of his friends and family are going to say those things and feel that way.

Well Mr. dority, I get it now, we have been allowed to see the type of man that you are, on the court and in front of the fans and media and it makes us so proud to have you representing our university, now and in the future.  I am not praising you just because you scored the most points or did this and that on the court.  I say these things because of the other qualities - leadership and humility- you put on display for us to see.  Continue to make your family, friends and university proud and you will have success no matter what you do.  Thank you for sharing a little bit or yourself with us.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: wh on March 19, 2014, 02:10:56 PMIsn't Seth A. a junior, or am I confusing him with someone else?
From the little I have heard secondhand I would view this guy as another long term "project with potential" type player who might be very little help until his sophomore year or later (16-17 season). Is his HS Peru? Have any of you seen him play?

wh

As tex says, a ready-to-go juco big is the ticket - someone who can support Vashil next year and play a bigger role the following year with hopefully a freshman big added to the mix.  Of course, that's easier said than done.  Everybody and their brother are looking for the same thing.     

VUfan

Give the season sometime, let being a student and rest help these student- athlete's  grow, some time away from the game is good, the game will become fresh again.

valpotx

I second Moussa's comment in the postgame conference, in that I wish he would have been here the last few seasons vs. 1, instead of Alabama.  You could tell that he valued his time learning at Valpo, when this type of learning should have happened over his 2 seasons with Alabama.  He is going to make money professionally somewhere, as Paul stated in the conference, but he would have been much better prepared had he spent 3 seasons at Valpo, instead of 1.

As others have stated, LVD will do good things after Valpo, and hopefully have a long professional career.  As much as he made me wince when he drove to the basket against 3 or 4 defenders, often with a circus shot that was likely to get blocked, he was one of a rare few on our team willing to do so.  He seemed to be a passion guy, and you need those.

Alec started to take it to the hole more over the last few games, and pound it inside, which will only help his outside game.  Hopefully we have someone next season that is willing to get hit on the drives, as that is a part of the game that you need, in order to get the open outside looks.
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

yep.    Lots of good mixed with the bad this year.    If you think about it, there were no stabilized returning starters on this squad.   

Dority stepped up and Bobby had his moments.    But by and large it was all a mystery.    Sometimes it clicked (SLU) and sometimes it crashed and  burned.   

And we had a freshman with a well-rounded game go off for 30 twice.    That is firepower we have not seen since Bryce or Lubos.

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 19, 2014, 07:16:43 PM
yep.    Lots of good mixed with the bad this year.    If you think about it, there were no stabilized returning starters on this squad.   

Dority stepped up and Bobby had his moments.    But by and large it was all a mystery.    Sometimes it clicked (SLU) and sometimes it crashed and  burned.   

And we had a freshman with a well-rounded game go off for 30 twice.    That is firepower we have not seen since Bryce or Lubos.
[/b]

Well, Dan Oppland could fill it up pretty well also.   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Perhaps Columbia and the Ivy League deserve a little more respect than what some of you are giving them.  Harvard upset Cincy today, which was really not that surprising, but Harvard was a 12 seed.

LaPorteAveApostle

eh.  that's great for them.  but there's at least one 5-12 upset every year, on average.

still doesn't change the fact that the Ivy has as a conference has now won all of FOUR NCAA games since VU's shining moment.

heck, in one year, butler...never mind.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 14, 2014, 09:26:01 AMtheir #1 team, usually gets at least past the first round, and often the second round of the NCAA.
62, you were right this year!  according to the NCAA they're in the third round already ;)