• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014-2015 schedule

Started by oklahomamick, April 29, 2014, 10:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieCabot

Here's the press release on the HL schedule ... for those of us who can't decipher the charts above.

http://hln.s3.amazonaws.com/medias/files/519/original.pdf?1410352875

valpopal

Looking at the Horizon League's schedule of televised games on ESPN, we might conclude which teams the conference figures to be favorites this season. Both Green Bay and Cleveland State appear 4 times, Valpo is listed 3 times, Detroit twice, and Milwaukee once. 

[tweet]509711046882254848[/tweet]

VULB#62

Quote from: Pathfinder on September 09, 2014, 09:00:37 PM
New Mexico game is in the program, Dec. 6: http://www.golobos.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=87115&SPSID=616926

Cool.  On previous posters' OOC listings I didn't see UNM listed.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 10, 2014, 10:25:07 AM
Quote from: Pathfinder on September 09, 2014, 09:00:37 PM
New Mexico game is in the program, Dec. 6: http://www.golobos.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=87115&SPSID=616926

Cool.  On previous posters' OOC listings I didn't see UNM listed.

The New Mexico game was also mentioned in the Valpo season ticket brochure I received last week, so I think it's a go!   :thumbsup:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2014-15/13853/mens-basketball-season-tickets-on-sale-now/#.VBB45GdOVaQ

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on September 09, 2014, 08:53:35 PM
Quote from: bbtds on September 09, 2014, 07:30:54 PMWhy would the contract of the Lobos' coach change the fact that they were supposed to play at Valpo this coming season?

Here's what.  Some years back Valpo had a home and home scheduled with Minnesota.  Valpo played there and expected the return game the following year.  Dan Munson was hired as the new coach of the Gophers who promptly told Homer there was no way in hell that he was coming to Valpo.  End of story.  We got a nice buy out.  Coaches at that level have financial power and as we know, there is little to gain for them to come here.  Until it is officially on the books anything can happen.
In cases such as 72 describes the best response to the reneging party or parties is to give them a firm handshake, an enormous smile, a hard pat on the back (with an inappropriately boisterous laugh), and a clear impression that they may want to spend the rest of their existence watching their backsides.

talksalot

So... for those preferring a linear view:

Friday, January 2 @ Oakland
Sunday, January 4 HOME Youngstown State
Thursday, January 8, HOME UIC
Saturday, January 10, HOME Cleveland State
Saturday, January 17, @ Wright State
Tuesday, January 20 @ Youngstown State
Friday, January 23, @ Green Bay
Monday, January 26, HOME Milwaukee
Saturday, January 31, @ UIC
Wednesday, February 4, HOME Detroit
Sunday, February 8, HOME Oakland
Friday, February 13, HOME Green Bay
Sunday, February 15, @ Milwaukee
Saturday, February 21, HOME Wright State - Senior Day
Wednesday, February 25, @ Detroit
Friday, February 27, @ Cleveland State

valpotx

Wait, wait, WAIT!  EddieCabot receives Valpo season ticket brochures?  WTF?
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

I suspect wh will not be happy and rightly so.  This schedule is very weak, playing 4 non-D1 opponents!

Grand Valley St?  Has one player taller than 6'7" and he is 6'8" and a freshman.

IU South Bend has zero players over 6'7"

Trinity International has zero players over 6'&"

Goshen has zero players over 6'7"

Weak!!!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

4 of 7 OOC home games against non D-1 opponents.  I don't even know what to say anymore. 

One positive - counting attendance should be an easy job.

vu72

It really does make sense NOT to buy season tickets.  Why not cherry pick your games and skip the mighty Goshen like opponents?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Kyle321n

I just realized something... The conference opener is the same day as my 1 year wedding anniversary. Uh oh.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

Lol @ playing "Goshen" less than 24 hours after the IPFW game.

Kyle321n

I did this last year and I did it again.  If you want to add this to your calendar (Google, Iphonething and Outlook calendars) I have the Valpo schedule here: https://www.google.com/calendar/ical/tcsv0ao2lh890uf6j2u3oqako4%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

This will download a file onto your computer. If you don't want to do that here's a couple how-to's

Google Calendar: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/30834/add-an-ical-or-.ics-calendar-to-google-calendar/
Outlook Calendar: http://offices.depaul.edu/oaa/academic-calendar/Pages/how-to-add-ical-file-to-your-outlook.aspx
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on September 11, 2014, 12:59:23 PMWhy not cherry pick your games and skip the mighty Goshen like opponents?
I do not go to these games, I do not listen to these games, and if there is any newspaper coverage of them I will go out of my way to leave them unread. So unless this is an act of complete scheduling desperation what is their purpose? Do they bring in any money?-Nope! Do they sharpen us for HL play? Nope! Is this a successful way to game the RPI numbers? I am not convinced of that either.

Most of us think that the 15-16 and 16-17 teams could be pretty good and pretty marketable. With that in mind I think we should get in touch with ND, Purdue, and Northwestern with the suggestion that a 2 hour drive pay-game might be a way to fill up some otherwise useless scheduling slots.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on September 11, 2014, 11:56:07 AM
I suspect wh will not be happy and rightly so.  This schedule is very weak, playing 4 non-D1 opponents!

Grand Valley St?  Has one player taller than 6'7" and he is 6'8" and a freshman.

IU South Bend has zero players over 6'7"

Trinity International has zero players over 6'7"

Goshen has zero players over 6'7"

Weak!!!!

And we have the nerve to criticize other HL Schools' scheduling.     :-[   This is a pretty timid approach to getting this bunch of youngsters (Peters, Adekoye, et. al.) battle hardened for the HL season, much less their junior and senior seasons.

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on September 11, 2014, 01:45:26 PM
Quote from: vu72 on September 11, 2014, 12:59:23 PMWhy not cherry pick your games and skip the mighty Goshen like opponents?
I do not go to these games, I do not listen to these games, and if there is any newspaper coverage of them I will go out of my way to leave them unread. So unless this is an act of complete scheduling desperation what is their purpose? Do they bring in any money?-Nope! Do they sharpen us for HL play? Nope! Is this a successful way to game the RPI numbers? I am not convinced of that either.

Non D1 games are not included in RPI.  But yeah, very disappointed in not being able to schedule more mediocre D1 teams at home, and also disappointed the team hasn't set up any home and home games for next year.

valpotx

Seriously, wtf is up with 3 non-d1 regular season games?  I am fine with GVSU as an exhibition, and 1 non-d1 game, but 3???
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on September 11, 2014, 03:12:26 PM
Quote from: justducky on September 11, 2014, 01:45:26 PM

Non D1 games are not included in RPI.  But yeah, very disappointed in not being able to schedule more mediocre D1 teams at home, and also disappointed the team hasn't set up any home and home games for next year.
In previous discussions some had concluded that non D1 games (because they are not counted as games) might help the final RPI better than playing bottom 50 or 100 D1 opponents. While I will concede that the RPI rating system is flawed and in need of revision, in any year that the HL has almost no chance of any at-large bids; scheduling of lower D1s over non D1s should (in my view) be encouraged.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 11, 2014, 02:18:01 PM
And we have the nerve to criticize other HL Schools' scheduling.

Uh, I won't be doing that again anytime soon.  :-[

VULB#62

Pretty much we all did it.   :-[

EddieCabot

Unfortunately, this year's schedule just points out the challenge schools like Valpo have in putting together a schedule.  High majors and quality mid majors just don't want to come to Valpo because they view it as a high risk / low reward situation.

After reviewing the schedule, I've got two quick questions for guys closer to the program than me:

1.  With only 1 exhibition game scheduled, will Valpo be participating in a closed scrimmage against another DI team?

2.  I thought the rules for regular season games played was max of 29, or 27 + up to 4 in an exempt tournament.  The schedule released looks like 28 + 3 in the Nashville exempt tourney ... I'm sure I'm missing something, but what?

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 12, 2014, 01:33:40 PM2.  I thought the rules for regular season games played was max of 29, or 27 + up to 4 in an exempt tournament.  The schedule released looks like 28 + 3 in the Nashville exempt tourney ... I'm sure I'm missing something, but what?

Is the Central Mich tournament exempt for 2 games?

Isn't Nashville only 2 games?

VULB#62

Chairback

Quote from: vu72 on September 11, 2014, 12:59:23 PMIt really does make sense NOT to buy season tickets.  Why not cherry pick your games and skip the mighty Goshen like opponents?

Good call. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on season tickets.  I'm in for cherry picking games.