• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Crowd Funding - Athletics Project

Started by M, April 05, 2018, 12:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

https://crowdfunding.valpo.edu/s/1347/17/cf-home.aspx

I know this is posted elsewhere, but there is an athletics project going on in this round of crowd funding.  An Athletic Training Room Vectra Laser. They're looking to raise $2,600 to help all of VU's athletes recover from injuries.

NativeCheesehead

Loyola building an $18.5 million dollar practice facility and we're trying to crowd fund 2k. This will end well.

M

Crowd funding projects have to be under $5k I believe.  This isn't a facilities thread, although I'm sure a few of you will try to make it one.

crusadermoe

Just a straight question here.  No sarcasm meant.   

Each of the projects on the web page is less than 10% funded and most list the goal date as "5 days to go."   

What happens to the project?
What happens to the money given by the contributors?

M

Money still goes towards those projects. It either gets stashed away or they use money from other accounts to full fund them I imagine. 

crusadermoe

Ok..maybe it is stashed.........   

.....Perhaps in a cloud?       

.....Or perhaps in a "Crowd Cloud"?   

Good luck y'all

crusader05

Yeah odds are these are either things they are planning to do/want to do in the near future and these are fun ways to raise the money outside of the regular budget. These types of projects don't really make it into any sort of endowment or big time fundraising pitch. It's also a growing type of donation style that the younger generations are using and I can see it being a way to get younger Alums without deep pockets to get the vibe of giving without feeling like their money doesn't count for much or they dont' know what it's going for.

M

VU2014

Quote from: crusader05 on April 10, 2018, 09:20:41 AM
Yeah odds are these are either things they are planning to do/want to do in the near future and these are fun ways to raise the money outside of the regular budget. These types of projects don't really make it into any sort of endowment or big time fundraising pitch. It's also a growing type of donation style that the younger generations are using and I can see it being a way to get younger Alums without deep pockets to get the vibe of giving without feeling like their money doesn't count for much or they dont' know what it's going for.

Not a bad idea. I know many young alums I've talked to get pretty miffed when they get asked to donate when they still have student loans to pay off. More students are leaving school with heavy burdens of student loan debt that will takes many years to pay off. I wonder how that will affect the University's ability to fundraise from younger alums down the road when they start become financially more stable.

crusader05

Student Debt is absolutely something that holds people back and can create a bit of resentment towards a university that starts askign you for money a month after you graduate. However, overall universities like Valparaiso don't usually have issues with former students having difficulty managing their debt long-term and it often is paid over in overall salary and upward mobility. Most of the large scale debt and students being unable to pay it are linked to for-profit and technical colleges that are more unscrupulous in their aide and enrollment strategies.

I still think Universities are too married to their style of providing education and could really benefit from ways to help people who are adults or just not in the traditional college lifestyle to access their classes in different ways, even while keeping the traditional model of providing courses.