• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2019-2020

Started by VULB#62, March 12, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: Valpofan15 on March 13, 2019, 07:45:35 PMWhat happens if a few of the key players transfer. Javon, Derick, ect. How does he keep his job? I'm also sick of the excuses. Laundry, injuries, travel. If anyone can use the injury excuse it's Drake and they still managed to win the regular season.
Say what?

crusaderjoe

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 13, 2019, 05:57:20 PM
Nobody complained because 1. The Drews had built up an almost inexhaustible supply of Goodwill with the fanbase. They had literally built the program.

2. The team was winning both in and out of conference and was taking down some name brand opponents.

Lottich has none of that going for him. That's why we're upset. He has a tough job replacing the Drews and handling everything with the program and it's not fair to him but he is not doing well and that has us not so much upset as anxious. I hope it works out. Go Valpo!

While I will agree with you on goodwill, to be fair, there were some rough spots under the Drews as far as wins and losses go, too.  4-24, 5-22 and 5-22 caused a fair share of complains back then.  You could make the argument that Dr. Harre saved Homer Drew.

With respect to Lottich and his unenviable position as the guy after the Drews, I agree and I'll take your comments a step further.  If Matt Lottich gets terminated next year because of losses, he will be the first coach in Valpo's D-I history to be fired for lack of performance.  That's about 40 years of time over five head coaches, including himself.  Think about that for a second. 

Name me another D-I program in the country that is currently in this position.  ML would be the first, as there would be no "pass" such as a D-I transition, a "You'll never get fired for losing" mentality, or a pass as a result of a coaching tree, to hand out out to him.  It's almost untenable.

Man I hope Matt wins next year.

valpo84

crusaderjoe, you might say Butler is in this position with another year like this year....  8-)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

GoldenCrusader87

Misery loves company, I suppose.

bigmosmithfan1

Quotehe will be the first coach in Valpo's D-I history to be fired for lack of performance.  That's about 40 years of time over five head coaches, including himself.  Think about that for a second. 

This is a bit misleading. We would have had previous coaches fired for poor performance if VU had given the slightest care about performance. In fact, one of the reason Tom Smith quit is that nobody in VU's administration cared enough to put him on the hot seat for lack of wins. Rochlitz was in that same boat, too -- he left VU for a junior college job because of the lack of institutional commitment to the basketball program.

Unfortunately, as we see with the facilities issue, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

NativeCheesehead

Wasn't Tom Smith a "quit or you will be fired" thing? There were still some whispers the reasons weren't basketball related when I was on campus. 

crusaderjoe

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 14, 2019, 10:25:46 PM
Quotehe will be the first coach in Valpo's D-I history to be fired for lack of performance.  That's about 40 years of time over five head coaches, including himself.  Think about that for a second. 

This is a bit misleading. We would have had previous coaches fired for poor performance if VU had given the slightest care about performance. In fact, one of the reason Tom Smith quit is that nobody in VU's administration cared enough to put him on the hot seat for lack of wins. Rochlitz was in that same boat, too -- he left VU for a junior college job because of the lack of institutional commitment to the basketball program.

Unfortunately, as we see with the facilities issue, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Woulda coulda shoulda...and that's my point.  I understand what you're driving at, but the lack of institutional care or commitment as you put it provided a "pass" where losses potentially were immaterial.  Putting facility commitments aside, if ML gets terminated next season for lack of wins, he doesn't get that same luxury.  Now don't get me wrong-- I am not suggesting that any prior coach should have been terminated for performance.  All I'm saying is that even though we have a new coach not named Drew, and we are nearly four years removed from that point, we have to remember that VU is still in uncharted territory as a program in ways that extend both on an off the basketball court.

humbleopinion

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 15, 2019, 07:39:37 AM
Wasn't Tom Smith a "quit or you will be fired" thing? There were still some whispers the reasons weren't basketball related when I was on campus. 

This is my memory as well.
Beamin' Beacons

NativeCheesehead

Can we re-title this thread "MBB 2019-2020 - Another Rebuild. 

VUGrad1314

I feel sick... Just devastated... I might have to take a year off... Especially if Lottich is still here... I just had one friend tell me he's cancelling his plans to buy season tickets. I don't blame him. He can't be the only one. Time for MLB to step in and do something.

VUGrad1314

"Yes I'll have the nothing burger please Hold the substance."

One "Crusader Special" coming right up sir." Cash or charge?

Oh I don't want to invest anything in this I was just hoping to eat for free off your efforts.

One double deluxe Crusader special it is! Have a great day! See you at the next window!

NativeCheesehead

I'm so tired of talk. Talk from our prez about how athletics is a priority. Talk from our AD about we're not living up to expectations. Talk from our coach about....well, anything that doesn't directly relate to our play on the floor.

I was born in Wisconsin but I grew up in Missouri, the Show Me state. Stop talking and show me something.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 19, 2019, 08:06:13 PMI'm so tired of talk. Talk from our prez about how athletics is a priority. Talk from our AD about we're not living up to expectations. Talk from our coach about....well, anything that doesn't directly relate to our play on the floor. I was born in Wisconsin but I grew up in Missouri, the Show Me state. Stop talking and show me something.

So far it's all cheese from these guys.

NativeCheesehead

So now with the transfers, barring an incoming high level grad transfer, you don't have a single player on the roster who has proved they can be a every game contributor on the Division I level, with a healthy Markus maybe being the lone exception.

Better not raise ticket prices again.

wh

Now that hopefully the dust has cleared, here's what I see. Ryan Fazekas (3*), Eron Gordon (3.7*), and Nick Robinson (3*) are a great nucleus to build around. We still have the fastest player on the team in Daniel Sackey. Assuming his shooting improves over time, he could be excellent at the point. Jay will be in his 4th year iat center. He's already a solid defensive player. If he can make even minimal improvement on offense, he could become a top 5 center in the league. Now add our newest hot shot recruit to the mix - 1st team IL all-state player Donovan Clay and his high motor and athleticism to the mix, and we have 6 very strong players. Let's also not forget Micah Bradford. Like Eron and Nick, he's had a whole year to work on his game. Who knows what he may bring to the table?  I would be very happy to go to war with this group. And that's before we add what will hopefully be a nice group of complementary players to the mix. It's very possible that this group could turn this program on a dime, making the current exodus of players a blessing in disguise.   

crusader05

One thing I wonder is if we had an easier time recruiting during the Alec years and went for talent and maybe didn't fully think about player type, etc.

Lottich is going to have a chance to have a fresh new recruiting class. It's not the same as if he knew these spots were open already but I'll be interested to see if we see if a different style of player coming in. He needs people with the mentality of a Kiser but a higher level of skill. That's what he obviously likes to reward. Can he learn from this?

I don't think all of it is on him, I think some of it is, BUT I think some of it is because he's a young coach and so now it's time to see what he learns and how he adjusts.

valpopal

I wasn't sure in which thread this ought to be placed, but I felt it is the kind of message that is good to hear again after the past few days.

oklahomamick

Nice, he's been tweeting a lot lately about Valpo basketball.  He's currently in coaching.  Put him somewhere on our bench.
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 21, 2019, 06:32:15 PM
Nice, he's been tweeting a lot lately about Valpo basketball.  He's currently in coaching.  Put him somewhere on our bench.

Who? I couldn't follow or find the coach you're referring to.

EDIT: I guess you meant Buggs?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 21, 2019, 06:32:15 PMNice, he's been tweeting a lot lately about Valpo basketball.  He's currently in coaching.  Put him somewhere on our bench.

Make him the head coach even. He can't be any worse than what we've got.

AranJacobs

After Iowa's loss in the tournament, one of the Iowa beat reporters did a live podcast and said that they are hearing about a road trip to a MVC team. He said he was hearing either Illinois state, drake or Valpo, but said they were fairly confident it was valpo. Could be a top 10 team next year losing only one player form this years team.

vu72

Great to see that video when we had players who actually were loyal to Valpo and wanted to play at Valpo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: AranJacobs on March 24, 2019, 03:00:04 PM
After Iowa's loss in the tournament, one of the Iowa beat reporters did a live podcast and said that they are hearing about a road trip to a MVC team. He said he was hearing either Illinois state, drake or Valpo, but said they were fairly confident it was valpo. Could be a top 10 team next year losing only one player form this years team.

Makes it very worthwhile to become a very unselfish cohesive team next season. Nothing is out of the question at this point especially if we can add at least one great outside shooter to go with Fazekas.

VU2014