• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Crusaders Retired

Started by may know, February 11, 2021, 11:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

Tough to see student bragging about being able to change the mascot during her tenure, then using that to end up on ESPN

Here's her twitter handle

@ksteinhiser1999

rogerwilco

mj

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 11, 2021, 06:00:19 PMTough to see student bragging about being able to change the mascot during her tenure, then using that to end up on ESPN

Interesting that the name was changed at a time when student attendance at basketball games has cratered. I wonder how many people pushing the name change actually attended games on a regular basis.
I believe that we will win.

valpolaw

I wonder if the university is paying a marketing company to come up with the new mascot. I echo everyone else's concerns that there have to be larger issues facing the university now that resources and attention would be better directed at than this. That video by the intermin president and student president announcing this was also terrible. I nearly fell asleep watching it.

Im not a fan of the change, but as USC mentioned earlier, I hope they use this opportunity to change the colors from the atrocious looking brown. A black and yellow or gold would be nice. Maybe a black and gold like Wake Forest.   

NativeCheesehead

I'm against the change of mascot, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see what comes of it. I really hope we're not just the "Brown & Gold" going forward.

That being said, I always find it ironic when those who love to lob around the term "snowflakes" seem to get really easily offended at something like this which is, in the grand scheme of our lives, mostly inconsequential.

may know

We just got a segment on ABC7.

I wonder if this would've been different had it happened circa 2010-14 when you had student leaders like VU2014, VUGrad1314, etc that would've put up resistance against this current student president who puts herself on a pedestal and thinks she speaks for everyone.

valpofb16

Will be hilarious to watch the student body president graduate, 240k in debt, realizing that nobody in the real world will give two you know whats she changed a mascot, she will probably move to DC, fail, then be at home at moms 240k in debt.

But hey!

That ESPN article will never die!

usc4valpo

The heck with the mascot name, I just want to see Valpo play winning basketball. Make a turd with sneakers as the mascot for all I care, I just want to see Valpo kick butt in the MVC and not play in a HS gym.

valpopal

Quote from: valpolaw on February 11, 2021, 06:18:00 PM
That video by the interim president and student president announcing this was also terrible. I nearly fell asleep watching it.

A point was made in the video that a reason for removing the Crusader was that hate groups like the KKK had made associations with it as an image. Using that logic, who wants to be the one to inform the university about other conspicuous removals from campus that might be necessary because of the KKK's association with the cross?

VUSL98

As a lawyer, I view the word "crusader" in a positive light.  There have been many "crusaders" for one cause or another, generally meritorious causes.  If anything, the juxtaposition of "crusader" with a basketball team (or any other sports team), was simply confusing.

When I completed the survey, I expressed ambivalence.  There's a nickname: the Valparaiso University Ambivalent.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on February 11, 2021, 02:55:12 PM
This from a sports reporter:

[tweet]1359968399397429255[/tweet]

I can't wait until the next televised home game when the players run back and forth across the Crusader logo at half-court yet the announcers are forbidden to say "Crusader"—it will be like the line from an old Marx Brothers movie: "Well, who ya gonna believe, me or your own eyes?"

VUSERF

Long time reader of this message board since mid - 2010s. Have lived the highs and lows of the program and school and like many of you am passionate about this university and all of the opportunities it allowed for me. I honestly want to know what others want for a mascot name, what ideas do you all have?

I personally like these two:
Reformers
Valkyrie

:twocents:

may know

Valkyrie is insanely awesome. Vultures is good too.

mj

Quote from: VUSERF on February 11, 2021, 07:02:30 PMI personally like these two:
Reformers
Valkyrie

If VU is citing that fact that the KKK has a newspaper named "the Crusader" as justifying changed the name, then there's a 0% chance they pick a mascot from Norse mythology.
I believe that we will win.

VUSERF

JBC1824

Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

milwvu04

valpotx

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 11, 2021, 06:00:19 PM
Tough to see student bragging about being able to change the mascot during her tenure, then using that to end up on ESPN

Here's her twitter handle

@ksteinhiser1999

Ever since I saw someone referencing her public shaming of another student last year, tied to liking a Twitter or Facebook post, specific to something that could be considered racist, I viewed her in a negative light.  She is part of the doxing crowd, of which I have no respect.
"Don't mess with Texas"

cmack

Just to add to the debate.  I was not offended by the Crusader mascot, but I voted for the change in the survey.  The debate has dogged us for decades. Time to move on.  It's a cartoon character on the uniform.  Surely our allegiance should be to the university, the students, the professors, the staff, the coaches, and the athletes.  The mascot feels very low on the list of points of meaningful pride. 

Also, if the last 4 years has taught us anything, one should be that it's best not to assume that everyone thinks exactly like you do.  You might be deceiving yourself to assume that the results were skewed one way just because your social group leans the other.

valpotx

I think that some of you are not getting that this isn't solely the mascot change that has folks up in arms.  It is the overly sensitive nature of what this all ties to and the reasons provided publicly, and how I/we now view the university.  If the university is going to be publicly far left-leaning, like a Loyola (IL), I have no reason to support the university in the future.  This isn't just about a sports mascot to me, and being afraid of change. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

cmack

Quote from: valpotx on February 11, 2021, 08:05:11 PM
I think that some of you are not getting that this isn't solely the mascot change that has folks up in arms.  It is the overly sensitive nature of what this all ties to and the reasons provided publicly, and how I/we now view the university.  If the university is going to be publicly far left-leaning, like a Loyola (IL), I have no reason to support the university in the future.  This isn't just about a sports mascot to me, and being afraid of change. 
This makes me better understand your objection and decision to potentially pull back from donating to the university AND makes me feel more strongly that the mascot change is the right move both at the same time. 

It tells me that neither side is inherently wrong, it's just a difference in how we each view the world. 

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on February 11, 2021, 08:05:11 PM
If the university is going to be publicly far left-leaning, like a Loyola (IL), I have no reason to support the university in the future.

Perhaps relative to the university's public political leaning going forward, the incoming VU president is a former political appointee who was selected by Mayor Lori Lightfoot to serve on her transition team.

covufan

https://twitter.com/chrisartis5/status/1360028116886945793?s=21

ca weighed in on Twitter. Funny exchange with his boss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu84v2

Two possible new nicknames:

Golden Finches (someone I know suggested this)
Golden Knights (yeah, I know that the Vegas hockey team uses this - but it fits in a variety of ways and is not used by any D1 team)

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 11, 2021, 06:22:59 PMMake a turd with sneakers as the mascot
Whoa....watch it with the personal insults there buddy.