• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Valpo Team Name Ideas

Started by jackvitashow, May 25, 2021, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on May 30, 2021, 12:01:55 PM
As long as the university is hell-bent on hiding its Christian identity, it might as well get some brand value out of it. Dunehawks works perfectly when Valpo partners with Grand Canyon Education to establish a vibrant, high quality, online/in-person hybrid degree completion program for working adults and nursing students in the NWI Region.

This has been covered in several other threads, but Grand Canyon Education is a fraudulent company with fraudulent leaders. I am confident that Valpo's administration recognizes this and will make the right decisions. The completer program is a good idea and there are other good partners for such a program.

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on May 30, 2021, 04:13:32 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on May 30, 2021, 01:49:08 PMI was informed that some people believe the "Valpo" name is already a national brand,

I think that's right as nobody knows us as the Crusader but just Valpo.  May not be as classy as Valparaiso University but it isn't mispronounced half the time either!  I really think just name recognition is the most valuable issue, not the mascot. And as for abbreviations, one could think of others like SMU, UCLA, TCU, VCU or other shortened but yet fully recognized names.

And all of those schools have an actual nickname. There is a reason all schools have one. Let's not think we are smarter than everyone else. Two major thumbs down to this idea. While I'm at it, Brown and Gold are our colors they don't need to pull double duty.

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 30, 2021, 09:09:21 PM
As long as the university is hell-bent on hiding its Christian identity, it might as well get some brand value out of it. Dunehawks works perfectly when Valpo partners with Grand Canyon Education to establish a vibrant, high quality, online/in-person hybrid degree completion program for working adults and nursing students in the NWI Region.

This has been covered in several other threads, but Grand Canyon Education is a fraudulent company with fraudulent leaders. I am confident that Valpo's administration recognizes this and will make the right decisions. The completer program is a good idea and there are other good partners for such a program.

Well, as has been "covered in several other threads," either you're right and those who signed the MOU for Valpo last September are hapless fools whose due diligence skills are at the level of a 10-year-old child, or they knew exactly what they were doing and who they were doing it with, and you're operating from outdated, irrelevant information not pertinent to anything. I have a great deal of respect for you and your wealth of knowledge about a lot of topics, but I think your professed disdain about "for profit" education models may be clouding your judgment.

VALPO LI

Today being the 1st of June I believe an announcement should be made this month regarding the four choices the panel chose for the new nickname/mascot for Valparaiso University. 
Shine on Vu

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on May 31, 2021, 05:18:53 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on May 30, 2021, 09:09:21 PM

Well, as has been "covered in several other threads," either you're right and those who signed the MOU for Valpo last September are hapless fools whose due diligence skills are at the level of a 10-year-old child, or they knew exactly what they were doing and who they were doing it with, and you're operating from outdated, irrelevant information not pertinent to anything. I have a great deal of respect for you and your wealth of knowledge about a lot of topics, but I think your professed disdain about "for profit" education models may be clouding your judgment.

I do not view the situation of this MOU (or any MOU) as "they must be hapless fools or the information is wrong." It is entirely possible that good people with all of the best intentions used the information that they had and made a decision to sign an MOU (which, by definition, is non-binding). Any vendor would push for an MOU because it increases the perceived level of commitment. They could sign the MOU and then other parties (Deans, faculty, alumni) bring additional information that they can verify. In this case, from everything I see (which includes a report from the U.S. Dept of Education regarding the structure of the relationship between GCE and GCU) the information is accurate. As I stated before, I (along with others) sent concerns about GCE with the specific information to the university and I am confident is taking that input seriously.

Thank you for the kind words...I would say that that I also respect the knowledge of you and many others on this board. I have a real problem with the for-profit model of college education - which is a different discussion with different arguments. This is about who you choose as a vendor that you would need to partner with and my opinions would be the same if the company were not linked to a for-profit university. Bottom line is that in business (and this would be a business relationship) you only partner with trustworthy companies. In this case, there are other very good companies to partner with for a completer program (and I have no vested interest in any of those companies).

talksalot

Family.
Welcome to the Valpo  Family.

Beacon

IndyValpo

Quote from: talksalot on June 01, 2021, 09:12:37 PM
Family.
Welcome to the Valpo  Family.

Beacon

Please let's not be the Family although our logo could be those stick figures already on many cars today.

jackvitashow

We'll be LIVE tonight at 7pm CT on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. You'll be able to comment live and we'll try to read your comments. If you miss the livestream, you'll be able to watch or listen to it on-demand at jackvita.com

facebook.com/jackvitashow

twitter.com/jackvitashow

youtube.com/jackvita

VALPO LI

Quote from: jackvitashow on June 02, 2021, 01:01:47 PM
We'll be LIVE tonight at 7pm CT on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. You'll be able to comment live and we'll try to read your comments. If you miss the livestream, you'll be able to watch or listen to it on-demand at jackvita.com

facebook.com/jackvitashow

twitter.com/jackvitashow

youtube.com/jackvita

Direct link ;)
https://youtu.be/tSKdV8UsZbA
Shine on Vu

VU75

Not that there is anything wrong with that but poppers are sex drug.

vu84v2

It is very important to choose a nickname that would not put Valpo in a negative light ... and poppers would be one of those nicknames. People comment on some nicknames being 'boring', but a nickname that can be ridiculed would be far worse.

crusadermoe

I think WH stumbled on an idea a few posts back when he wisely said that the logical names like Knights or Lancers would never  be allowed by the virtue signalers who are knee deep in this process.  Voyagers actually makes sense but is dangerously close to violent Vikings.

So what welook further for alliteration and call ourselves the "Valpo Virtue Signalers."  We could ring the "virtue bell" after every game in which no one is conquered.  We will simply demonstrate against one another peacefully.   

vuny98

Quote from: VU75 on June 03, 2021, 04:12:53 PMNot that there is anything wrong with that but poppers are sex drug.
As well Jalapeno Poppers... plus it is a horrible name for a team. I was not impressed with the top names those three chose during the podcast.

VALPO LI

Quote from: vuny98 on June 07, 2021, 09:57:43 AM
Quote from: VU75 on June 03, 2021, 04:12:53 PMNot that there is anything wrong with that but poppers are sex drug.
As well Jalapeno Poppers... plus it is a horrible name for a team. I was not impressed with the top names those three chose during the podcast.

The top mascots were:
Victory Bells
Rays
Lakers
Poppers
Koalas
Otters
Dune Surfers
Kernels
Closely followed by
Brown Bears
Homer's
Fighting Paul Orens
Shine on Vu

vu84v2

Geez - most of those names are pretty awful.

VU75

Has anybody mentioned Saxons? The LCMS was founded by Saxons who came to this country to avoid being forced to unite with the Prussian Lutheran church. 

bbtds

Quote from: VU75 on June 07, 2021, 05:46:39 PM
Has anybody mentioned Saxons? The LCMS was founded by Saxons who came to this country to avoid being forced to unite with the Prussian Lutheran church. 

Saxony Lutheran High School in Jackson, Missouri where many of the students are descendants of the original immigrants that came to Perry County, Missouri along the Mississippi River in the 1830's and 1840's. German Lutheran immigrants who came to this country and settled in middle America seeking freedom of religion from the state governments in Germany which had yet to form a central German government. They had state run Religion Departments which oversaw the churches and the clergy. Mostly from the areas of Dresden and Leipzig in the state of Saxony this group formed a Gesellschaft, or unit of people to immigrate and escape the state Religion departments that forced them into unions with the German Reformed Church which had different practices for baptism and communion. Some of the Lutheran pastors were actually running from arrest by the Prussian influenced Religion Departments of the government of Saxony when they boarded 5 boats in Bremerhaven on the North Sea and sailed for America. Immigrants, who couldn't speak much English. One of the boats was lost at sea. No sign of the boat that sailed in 1837 from Germany was ever found. Four boats made it to New Orleans but that city was hot and not much like Germany. They had bought land in Missouri from profiteers who sold them much unfarmable land. There was much suffering and death in Perry County due mostly from the fact that they were not used to farming but had faith in God protecting them and watching over them. When it was found that their Bishop and spiritual leader, Bishop Stephen, had sinned many times with some of the ladies of the Gesellschaft he was banished from their settlements in Perry County and by then St Louis where many of the immigrants had been put in what was supposed to be temporary housing until they could move to Perry County. Many of those immigrants found jobs in St Louis and ended up settling there especially after the issue with Bishop Stephen was discovered. It was CFW Walther who became the defacto leader of the two Lutheran communities in Perry County and St Louis although he never claimed any title except President of the LUTHERAN SYNOD of Missouri, Ohio and other states. If not for Walther's leadership many of those immigrants would have moved back to Germany. It was later changed to Lutheran Church Missouri Synod and headquartered in downtown St Louis and later the headquarters were moved to Kirkwood Missouri, a suburb of St Louis. One of my own relatives, my great grandfather, from St Louis helped build the mausoleum that contains the body of CFW Walther in Concordia Cemetery on Bates Ave. in south St Louis.

This Saxony Lutheran High School uses the nickname Crusaders, believe it or not.

http://www.saxonylutheranhigh.org/athletics/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWC_BT7P2H0

More on CFW Walther

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98VWLcfU_lA

vu72

Interesting. Thanks for finding this.  My Great grandfather's ordination papers were signed by CFW Walther.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

Saxons is a promising idea. Schaumburg high school in Illinois is the Saxons, but I am not aware of it being used in D1 (though it is probably used by some colleges at lower levels). However, my guess is that there might be some pushback as it can be viewed as too close to 'Anglo-Saxon' (please don't read into my comments that I necessarily agree with that potential pushback).

VU75

The  Anglo -Saxons were immigrants who contributed to the creation of a multi-cultural society. 

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on June 08, 2021, 07:03:34 AM
Interesting. Thanks for finding this.  My Great grandfather's ordination papers were signed by CFW Walther.

To be honest I didn't find this. I was taught this from certain family members, six of them were pastors. Both sides of my family did NOT immigrate from Saxony in the 1830's. My families, father's side immigrated in the 1880's from the Prussian area to St Louis and my mother's family from Bavaria to Arkansas in the 1850's, under the direction of Wilhelm Löhe who supplied pastors for many German Lutherans in America. It was Löhe who sent Wyneken to Ft Wayne and Wyneken aligned with Walther in Missouri. Later Walther and Löhe had a falling out and most of the pastors Löhe later supplied to America became members of the Buffalo Synod under JAA Grabau (later moving into the Milwaukee area and becoming WELS) and the Iowa Synod in areas around Dubuque and later Decorah, Iowa that become the American Lutheran Church which later helped unite into the ELCA. Of course the Swedes and Norwegians had moved into Minnesota and were Lutherans traditionally because Sweden and Norway and other countries had state controlled Lutheran churches. The oldest Lutherans in America were under Henry Muhlenberg, and the Pennsylvania Ministerium, mostly around Philadelphia, and affiliated with the Seminary at Gettysburg, made famous in the American Civil War battle. They also mostly joined in with the ELCA.

crusadermoe

I hope "Valparaiso Virtue Signalers" is not a leading candidate in the bowels of the PC decision makers.

Ring the Virtue Bell after victories.

vu72

Our former player, Sigurd Lorange, ended up playing for the Converse Valkyries.  The Valpo Valkyries has a nice ring to it till it is discovered that Valkyries were Norse gods who decided who lived or dies in battle.  Not a good look!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on June 09, 2021, 11:15:40 AM
Our former player, Sigurd Lorange, ended up playing for the Converse Valkyries.  The Valpo Valkyries has a nice ring to it till it is discovered that Valkyries were Norse gods who decided who lived or dies in battle.  Not a good look!

Yeah, I wonder what the new Men's team at Converse think of the nickname.  I would fully support the name for the Women's teams, but I would not want to play for the Valkyries as a man :)
"Don't mess with Texas"