• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs UNI 1/19 6pm at the ARC

Started by humbleopinion, January 19, 2022, 07:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vok22

Quote from: justducky on January 19, 2022, 09:09:44 PM
Quote from: valpotx on January 19, 2022, 08:57:29 PMDon't look now, our 3 pt % is now 34.6% as a team
Big improvement in our team 3 point %. Enormous improvement in our point guard play. Our team Assist to TO's is also remarkably better but we still struggle to stay competitive. Could somebody explain our record to me?

That's what I've been thinking. This team improved exactly how I hoped in the categories I was expecting them to improve in...yet it hasn't lead to win. Where did we get worse to counteract these improvements ?

NativeCheesehead

AB

What has been lacking most games this year is consistent intensity and effort on defense from start to finish. This is the first game all year where the intensity was there for a majority of the game.  Why is that? Execution needs to improve in the end of the first and second half of close games. Hopefully they can learn from this. DeAvario....steady with the ball, good handles, quick, plays under control, pest on defense. He understands his roll. Kitheir key cog in the middle and a much better defender than Krikke. NIU got unlucky breaks with Green out and Carter exiting early. Valpo hasn't had their full complement of players either. Works both ways. Lets see if they can build on this effort and intensity Saturday and trust on offense. P.S. Connor Barrett???

vu84v2

A big difference in this game from prior games, in terms of strategy, is that Anderson was playing the "2" most of the time.  Expect to see more of that, which will mean more minutes for DeAveiro and Ruedinger and less minutes for Edwards.

humbleopinion

Beamin' Beacons

tjjvalpo

I listened to Luke Gore after the game and his excuse for why we blew a 7 point lead is that Kitthier and Anderson are in new roles that they didn't have before this year. Neither of them were on the floor at the end of Big 10 games. They were not asked to be clutch players before this year. They are still learning how play that role. He also mentioned that he didn't know how Kobe King's layup didn't go in at the end of regulation.

Old Timer

Fine win. We overcame a lot of mistakes and adversity. Rebounding was strong and surprisingly we had a better 3 pt shooting percentage. I thought a young line up midway in the first half allowed NI an 8 point run and the end of first half debacle would kill us. But the players fought back.  I must admit I had zero confidence with our offensive execution and the ability to hold a 7 point lead in the final minutes. I was concerned about Darius in crunch time. Ball handling yes but he is a 50% ft shooter with limited attempts. Preston has yet to shoot a ft. Both need the reps but it is tough to get those minutes now. I like Edward's intensity. Coach needs to somehow utilize that ability. When the overtime looked bleak, Sheldon scored 5 to bring us back. Fortunately, the only person tall enough (Ben) caught the last pass and was able to hit two clutch ft. With a three point lead with several seconds to go putting NI on the line might have proved interesting. Fortunately, not needed. Tough trip to Indiana State for noon start. That is a tough place to play even for a normal game start.

IndyValpo

Quote from: elephtheria47 on January 19, 2022, 08:37:57 PM
Good win.

Coaching still lacking...called a time out at the end of 1H that resulted in a turnover and +2 for them. Let them Play at the end of regulation that resulted in another turnover.

But we've all discussed our displeasure. So here to just enjoy the win. The players are obviously still scrapping.

So what should the coach do if both calling a timeout and letting them play without a timeout are signs of bad coaching?  Just curious....

Valpo89

Well it was nice to get a win, for sure.
One big error in judgement at the end of regulation was having Trevor take the ball out and pass it in to Darius.
You knew Northern Iowa was going to foul, and you put the ball into the hands of a freshman who isn't good at shooting free throws? Of course, he missed the 1-and-1.
At least the next time, it was corrected.

Old Timer

In actuality both calling a time out and not calling a time out can be good coaching. It depends on the execution in each scenario. Hopefully, these situations have been worked on in practice and the end result is a good shot.

usc4valpo

I give credit to the team for identifying the urgency and playing with purpose. This is not a good team but understand the gaps and working to improve. Are they a good going to make a run in MVC? Probably not. But they have not given up, unlike the university and the fan base.

justducky

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 19, 2022, 09:28:53 PM
A big difference in this game from prior games, in terms of strategy, is that Anderson was playing the "2" most of the time.  Expect to see more of that, which will mean more minutes for DeAveiro and Ruedinger and less minutes for Edwards.

In truth Anderson is as close to a traditional 2 as we have. We have an entire roster full of shooting, small or wing forwards who can kind of play the 2 but are all slightly misplaced. There are some drawbacks to Trevor playing big minutes as a 2 but maybe Matt can or has figured some of this out.

valpo95

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 19, 2022, 08:53:31 PM

I will say that Lottich has never really recruited or had a good 3 point shooter on his team.  He had Fazekas but that kind of fell in his lap.  Outside of that, who has been a Rowdy, Peters, Harris, etc, etc.........

Hmm, Jacob Ognacevic went 30-58 (51.7%) from 3 as a freshman. BTW, he is 28-50 (52%) from 3 for Lipscomb so far this year. He is also averaging 15.6 ppg, albeit against inferior competition.

Just Sayin

Kevion Taylor's National (Rank): (KenPom)

eFG% 60.4% (105)

3-pt% 43.3 % (140)

KenPom note: 2233 players eligible for national rank. (1236 in eFG%)

valpotx

Quote from: valpo95 on January 20, 2022, 09:14:43 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 19, 2022, 08:53:31 PM

I will say that Lottich has never really recruited or had a good 3 point shooter on his team.  He had Fazekas but that kind of fell in his lap.  Outside of that, who has been a Rowdy, Peters, Harris, etc, etc.........

Hmm, Jacob Ognacevic went 30-58 (51.7%) from 3 as a freshman. BTW, he is 28-50 (52%) from 3 for Lipscomb so far this year. He is also averaging 15.6 ppg, albeit against inferior competition.

Once Lipscomb's starting Center came back to the lineup a few games ago, Jacob's playing time has severely decreased.  It is a very interesting development, as he was playing very well for them in most games
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

There was no mention of the UNI game in today's NWI Times, though the paper did have feature stories on both the Purdue and Notre Dame games supplied by AP reporters.

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpopal on January 20, 2022, 02:56:23 PM
There was no mention of the UNI game in today's NWI Times, though the paper did have feature stories on both the Purdue and Notre Dame games supplied by AP reporters.

Actually there was a mention.  If you look on closely page 2 below the fold, the score was listed in 6pt font, squeezed between the scores of Otterbein vs Wilmington and Wooster vs Denison.

I guess that it was too much effort to delete the Valpo score from the AP listing.
Beamin' Beacons

NativeCheesehead

You jest, but that Wooster game was a barnburner!