• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Charlie Spoonhour Passes

Started by valpo84, February 01, 2012, 07:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

Our thoughts and prayers to the Charlie Spoonhour family. He was a great coach and always had a story. He coached Southwest Missouri State (n/k/a Missouri State) back in Valpo's AMCU-8 (Association of Mid-Continent Universities, later Mid-Con Conference, later Summit) days. His teams were the toughest in the League back in the 1980s and early 1990s until the Tony Bennett led UWGB teams, and if I recall correctly, both were in the Dance one year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7528630/former-longtime-coach-charlie-spoonhour-dies-72
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo84 on February 01, 2012, 07:47:44 PM
Our thoughts and prayers to the Charlie Spoonhour family. He was a great coach and always had a story. He coached Southwest Missouri State (n/k/a Missouri State) back in Valpo's AMCU-8 (Association of Mid-Continent Universities, later Mid-Con Conference, later Summit) days. His teams were the toughest in the League back in the 1980s and early 1990s until the Tony Bennett led UWGB teams, and if I recall correctly, both were in the Dance one year.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7528630/former-longtime-coach-charlie-spoonhour-dies-72

I was privileged to be seated next to him on my flight back to St. Louis on New Year's Day, 2005 after Valpo was done with the Las Vegas Shootout 6-team abbreviated format.  Didn't get much chance to talk to him because he was prepping for the upcoming MVC game of the week with Dan McLaughlin (at SIUC, I believe), but we did get to exchange pleasantries for a minute or two.

I of course remember him more as the coach of SLU, including one Larry Hughes.  I also recall that Jay was a member of the Crusader coaching staff for about a month back in the fall (summer?) of 1998.

vuweathernerd

when i first started following college basketball, it was the billikens, with spoonhour as their coach. and i too remember the days of larry hughes and the rivalry with cincinnati when both teams were still in c-usa. obviously, something kept me interested, because now i'm a college basketball junkie. rest in peace, spoon.