• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 01, 2018, 05:28:11 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on October 01, 2018, 04:11:37 PM
https://twitter.com/BrandonWood30/status/1046869272251621376

Is it just me, or did Brandon Woods actions and how he carries himself alienate any other fans?

It certainly feels like a portion of the fan-base doesn't consider him as one of our own because of the way he left us.

bigmosmithfan1

Brandon is a good guy and carries himself just fine. I think it has more to do with his departure -- I don't begrudge a guy shooting his shot and doing what's best for themselves within the rules, but then you can't reasonably expect the fanbase you left behind to embrace you wholeheartedly in the future (particularly when the only reason you left is that you wanted a year at a "name" program. I mean, that was it. He wanted a name brand on his jersey because someone convinced him that's the only way pro scouts would look at him).

I wish him well and I hope his dreams come true, but I'm not going to follow his pro career with the same rooting interest as I would Vashil, Jubril, Tevonn, Alec or Rowdy.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on October 01, 2018, 05:54:27 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 01, 2018, 05:28:11 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on October 01, 2018, 04:11:37 PM
https://twitter.com/BrandonWood30/status/1046869272251621376

Is it just me, or did Brandon Woods actions and how he carries himself alienate any other fans?

It certainly feels like a portion of the fan-base doesn't consider him as one of our own because of the way he left us.

That's part of it, but this is what sealed the deal for me:

Former Michigan State basketball player Brandon Wood arrested in Chicago for allegedly assaulting, battering women

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2012/04/former_michigan_state_basketba.amp

Police report: Former Michigan State basketball player Brandon Wood slapped woman as she tried to keep him out of Chicago residence
Updated Apr 30, 2012;

"You dirty ass ho," Wood called the homeowner, according to the report. He also threatened her, saying: "I'll (expletive) you up."

The homeowner feared for the safety of herself and her 8-year-old child at the house.

https://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2012/04/police_report_former_michigan.html

Nice mug shot.

EddieCabot

Weren't the charges against Brandon dropped? 

bigmosmithfan1

Whoa, I was not aware of those charges. Strike my "good guy" comment.

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on October 02, 2018, 11:19:30 AM
Weren't the charges against Brandon dropped? 

Looks like he plea bargained to a lesser charge:

"Part of the politics could stem from Wood's arrest earlier this year for allegedly assaulting an 18-year-old woman in Chicago on April 29. Charges of assault and battery were dismissed by Judge Ann O'Donnell of the Circuit Court of Cook County on June 1, but Wood plead guilty to criminal trespassing. Wood was in Chicago working out with personal trainers for the draft.  I can't get into too many details, but what was said was not how it happened," Wood said. "I learned a lot from that experience. I feel like no matter what happened in the court, people still probably judged me. The people that really know me, know what type of person I am, they know it wasn't true. The people that talked bad about me probably didn't like me before the incident. I'm assuming that this incident probably had something to do with not getting the workouts that I deserved."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/brandon-wood-frustrated-by-lack-of-workouts-as-nba-draft/article_1d65b534-8b62-544d-8009-8a68f1879642.amp.html

Pgmado

Let me say this about Brandon Wood...

He absolutely loves Valpo. He still comes back and visits whenever he has the chance. He came back last year, despite Luke Gore being the only person on the staff that he knew. I had him on the podcast and we spoke about his connection to Valpo. He bounced around all over the place in high school and in college. Valpo was the first place he'd spent more than one year at since like seventh grade or something. He's the definition of a guy who has bet on himself at every turn. I never really knew what to think about him, but when we spoke last year, I saw a mature guy who understands the perceptions people have about him. The guy does a ton for his community in Kokomo and loves Valpo. He was playing overseas when Michigan State and Valpo got matched against one another in the NCAA tournament. He did everything he could to get back for the game, but his team wouldn't let him travel.

Does he deserve to be held in the same regard as Alec or Broekhoff? Maybe not. But he's a guy that holds Valpo in a higher regard than a lot of alums who have gone through the program.

justducky

Quote from: Pgmado on October 06, 2018, 10:43:48 AM

He absolutely loves Valpo. He still comes back and visits whenever he has the chance. He came back last year, despite Luke Gore being the only person on the staff that he knew. I had him on the podcast and we spoke about his connection to Valpo. He bounced around all over the place in high school and in college. Valpo was the first place he'd spent more than one year at since like seventh grade or something. He's the definition of a guy who has bet on himself at every turn. I never really knew what to think about him, but when we spoke last year, I saw a mature guy who understands the perceptions people have about him. The guy does a ton for his community in Kokomo and loves Valpo. He was playing overseas when Michigan State and Valpo got matched against one another in the NCAA tournament. He did everything he could to get back for the game, but his team wouldn't let him travel.

Does he deserve to be held in the same regard as Alec or Broekhoff? Maybe not. But he's a guy that holds Valpo in a higher regard than a lot of alums who have gone through the program.
Once established resentments are hard to bury. So thanks because those few words help.

wh

Quote from: justducky on October 06, 2018, 11:37:05 AM
Quote from: Pgmado on October 06, 2018, 10:43:48 AM

Once established resentments are hard to bury. So thanks because those few words help.

It has become fashionable in the "me too" society for females to publicly call guys out, get up in their face, belittle, mock, gesture - and then dare them to retaliate, knowing they can't. I don't know if that happened to Brandon, but it wouldn't surprise me. Problems with women are never about what they're about - they're always about how the guy responds. As hard as it is sometimes, guys have to keep their cool and learn to walk away. If you're stuck with one who does it perpetually, walk away permanently and find someone who appreciates you and will treat you with respect. No charge for the first appointment.  ;)

VU2014

Looks like Ali is staying in shape. Is he still playing professionally overseas?

https://twitter.com/AliBerdiel/status/1053110687621373952

valpotx

Yes, he has been playing in the Puerto Rican league for quite a long time.

Another example of how small a world it can be, Alec's team just played d-bag Ray McCallum's Turkish league team, and Jon Diebler is on the same team.

https://cskabasket.com/news/?id=17507&lang=en
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on October 18, 2018, 09:46:05 PM
Looks like Ali is staying in shape. Is he still playing professionally overseas?

Translation: When you have to stop to do the #HarlemShake in the middle of the training

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on October 19, 2018, 05:57:49 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on October 18, 2018, 09:46:05 PM

Translation: When you have to stop to do the #HarlemShake in the middle of the training

Not many ppl like themselves as completely as Mr Berdiel.

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 19, 2018, 08:08:05 PMNot many ppl like themselves as completely as Mr Berdiel.

:lol: At 6'6" with movie star looks, it would be hard not to like yourself!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on October 19, 2018, 09:08:23 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 19, 2018, 08:08:05 PMNot many ppl like themselves as completely as Mr Berdiel.

He's like Kelso in That 70's Show, vane and a "rock star" intellectually.  Sorry, was in school with him so memories come back that aren't so flattering for him.  I'll move on...

VU2014

Bryce and Scott played each others teams in a "secret" scrimmage. Vandy won.

https://twitter.com/BaylorMBB/status/1053368691067367424

valpotx

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 20, 2018, 07:49:06 AM
Quote from: vu72 on October 19, 2018, 09:08:23 PM

He's like Kelso in That 70's Show, vane and a "rock star" intellectually.  Sorry, was in school with him so memories come back that aren't so flattering for him.  I'll move on...

Me too and agreed, but good to see that he is doing well
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

ENGLISH:
Are not they cute? Love tips @TevonnWalker and his Shabeka in the @ mopo: https://www.mopo.de/sport/sportmix/towers-star-tevonn-walker-jetzt-ist-hamburgs-punktegarant-auch-privat-happy-31496258 ... # HamburgTower's #LoveAndBasketball

FWalum

Tevon looks very happy and seems to be performing very well!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

Quote from: FWalum on October 26, 2018, 03:17:09 PM
Tevon looks very happy and seems to be performing very well!

Any game updates or cumulative stats?

bbtds

WILHELMSBURG
95 kilos spread across a beefy 1.88 meters - without question, Tevonn Walker (24) is a real powerhouse. And a points guarantor: In the four season games, he delivered an average of 15 points for the Towers - and the Bank. The MOPO spoke with the Canadians about goals, homesickness and girlfriend Shabeka (24), who is finally in Hamburg.

He seems a bit like a soft giant: brawny neck, gentle smile. And talking is not really his thing, he prefers to speak deeds. And impressively: In the away game thriller in Karlsruhe, he was not only top scorer with 26 points, he led the Towers after a significant gap still to victory. "I want to be the best player I can be to make the team a success," he says, "whether in offense or defense."

And although Walker feels at home in Hamburg ("It's like my hometown of Montreal: multi-cultural and good food"), he still lacked contact with his family - and the support of his girlfriend Shabeka. "Not only is she my partner, she's also my best friend." He has not seen her since August.

But the wait finally comes to an end: Just in time for the game tomorrow against Paderborn (19.30, edel-optics.de-Arena) Shabeka from Canada flew in - together with bitch Keah. "It gives me strength, always. In thought, but of course, when she is there. "They got to know each other - where else - in basketball. "It was a big tournament with several schools. That's when I saw him for the first time - and was instantly in love, "says the 24-year-old. They have been a happy couple for six years now.

And Shabeka even trains her Tevonn regularly. It can also fly the shreds. "He is very, very ambitious. And me too, "she says," once he even shot away a ball. But he was not mad at me. "

This is a direct translation of the German so that is why in referring to Tevonn's dog the use of the word for female dog is used. The word is not meant to be derogatory just a literal translation.