• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Great find bbtds. He is making his mark and, just like at Valpo, his quiet presence is winning friends. He will be etched in my mind forever at Milwaukee watching him power dunk over a 6-10 guy. He is one of my favorites.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

A really great interview. I had no clue Ryan went vegan. I briefly dated a girl a few years ago who was a strict vegan and I tried out the diet. It was brutal. My body felt awful and I lost quite a bit of muscle. I guess everyones body responds differently to different diets. It must be working for Rowdy because he's at the top of his game right now.

https://twitter.com/RBroekhoff45/status/1060279262190551040

valpotx

I had wondered where Vashil was playing, and finally used the right keywords to see that he is now in the third division in Spain:

https://www.latinbasket.com/Jamaica/news/544568/Marin-tabs-Vashil-Fernandez

This is probably good for him, as he should receive some good playing time to rebuild his stock.  He is currently at 7.0 ppg, 4.9 rpg, and 1.6 bpg in 20 mpg:

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Spain/Marin-PeixeGalego/10230?Page=3
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on December 13, 2018, 06:46:54 PMVASHIL FERNANDEZ @vashilluv_bball MVP de la jornada: 30 de valoraciĆ³n
14 puntos, 10 rebotes, 8 tapones.
Enhorabuena!!!!

8 tapones in one game! And we thought he blocked a lot of shots at Valpo.

EddieCabot

[tweet]1073441361376903173[/tweet]

[tweet]1073438332087136256[/tweet]

VUGrad1314

Bogan looks like he could still go out there and drain some 3s.

JD24

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 14, 2018, 11:24:39 PMBogan looks like he could still go out there and drain some 3s.
While current player Amoro Lado looks like a 30 year old senior.  ;D

valpo95

Very nice story on ESPN about Bryce Drew and Vanderbilt. It includes some behind the scenes access, and some great quotes from former Valpo players and coaches.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25527135/bryce-drew-vanderbilt-managing-crisis

valpotx

A highlight reel dunker, similar to Golder, but without the gloating.  Went from the afro to bald, it seems :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

It would be very cool to see something like this for our professional players, even if it was monthly, instead of weekly:

https://goshockers.com/news/2018/12/27/mens-basketball-shockers-in-the-pros-dec-27-2018.aspx

It is a great way to showcase to anyone visiting our site, that they can play pro basketball after coming to Valpo, outside of the other ways that they find out.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on December 30, 2018, 01:43:20 PMIt would be very cool to see something like this for our professional players, even if it was monthly, instead of weekly: https://goshockers.com/news/2018/12/27/mens-basketball-shockers-in-the-pros-dec-27-2018.aspx It is a great way to showcase to anyone visiting our site, that they can play pro basketball after coming to Valpo, outside of the other ways that they find out.

And would be great for fan and community engagement. Think of the nostalgia trips for long-time fans. Visitors to the site would be immediately immersed in the tradition of  the Valpo program and reminded that there is a really good basketball team right in their backyard.

valpotx

Skara made a great decision in coming back to Clemson this season, after it was rumored that he was going to Europe.  He has become a vital part of their team.  Kudos:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3133922
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on December 30, 2018, 08:44:36 PM
Skara made a great decision in coming back to Clemson this season, after it was rumored that he was going to Europe.  He has become a vital part of their team.  Kudos:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3133922

Is Skara actually getting a degree at Clemson? If he is giving up a years pay in Europe just to play college basketball (which might also further his development in a better environment for his development)? David probably likes America and thinks Europe can wait one more year. After all he gets all his room and board paid for.

valpotx

I would assume that he has or will have a degree from Clemson, since he will have been there 3 years, after 2 years at Valpo.

John Middleton appears to be the 6th man for the University of Bridgeport:

https://www.ubknights.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/files/1819mb.pdf
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on January 13, 2019, 09:40:22 PMJohn Middleton appears to be the 6th man for the University of Bridgeport:

Middleton was a bigger recruiting error than Hazen or Linssen. The rest of Matts' recruits range from ok, to good, to great and with Gordon and Robinson on deck the uptrend looks well established.

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on January 13, 2019, 10:10:21 PM
Quote from: valpotx on January 13, 2019, 09:40:22 PMJohn Middleton appears to be the 6th man for the University of Bridgeport:

Middleton was a bigger recruiting error than Hazen or Linssen. The rest of Matts' recruits range from ok, to good, to great and with Gordon and Robinson on deck the uptrend looks well established.

Uhhh... I'd say Parker was probably a bigger error. Parker was suppose to be the next Alec Peters ;). All kidding aside but I hate even calling Parker an error because he worked really hard but he needed go somewhere he could refine his skills before getting another d1 opportunity. Linssen wasn't an error, imo. Marty was more of a unknown. I really liked Marty's offensive potential but his defense was suspect but that's many freshman. I know for a fact that the Marty transfer was a surprise to the coaches. But no doubt Middleton was a questionable because of character more than his physical abilities. Joe Burton was a stud but he just didn't have the academic work ethic to cut it at Valpo.

I'm really excited about Robinson and Gordon. I think some fans are sleeping on Robinson a bit. He's going be a very versatile piece of this team and a excellent defender along with a solid set of offensive tools.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on January 13, 2019, 10:35:44 PM
Uhhh... I'd say Parker was probably a bigger error. Parker was suppose to be the next Alec Peters ;). All kidding aside but I hate even calling Parker an error because he worked really hard but he needed go somewhere he could refine his skills before getting another d1 opportunity. Linssen wasn't an error, imo. Marty was more of a unknown. I really liked Marty's offensive potential but his defense was suspect but that's many freshman. I know for a fact that the Marty transfer was a surprise to the coaches. But no doubt Middleton was a questionable because of character more than his physical abilities. Joe Burton was a stud but he just didn't have the academic work ethic to cut it at Valpo. I'm really excited about Robinson and Gordon. I think some fans are sleeping on Robinson a bit. He's going be a very versatile piece of this team and a excellent defender along with a solid set of offensive tools.

Is it fair to look at Robinson like a second Golder? I'm excited about him too.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 13, 2019, 10:51:37 PM
Uhhh... I'd say Parker was probably a bigger error. Parker was suppose to be the next Alec Peters ;). All kidding aside but I hate even calling Parker an error because he worked really hard but he needed go somewhere he could refine his skills before getting another d1 opportunity. Linssen wasn't an error, imo. Marty was more of a unknown. I really liked Marty's offensive potential but his defense was suspect but that's many freshman. I know for a fact that the Marty transfer was a surprise to the coaches. But no doubt Middleton was a questionable because of character more than his physical abilities. Joe Burton was a stud but he just didn't have the academic work ethic to cut it at Valpo. I'm really excited about Robinson and Gordon. I think some fans are sleeping on Robinson a bit. He's going be a very versatile piece of this team and a excellent defender along with a solid set of offensive tools.

I think they're different types of players. Robinson is a much better ball handler but not nearly the athlete Golder is. Robinson actually played a significant amount of PG at St.Joe and is billed a SF. He really came into his own his sophomore year and started to put things together. You could play Robinson with a ton of different roster combos because he can defend 1-4 and even handle the ball.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on January 13, 2019, 11:02:21 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 13, 2019, 10:51:37 PM
I think they're different types of players. Robinson is a much better ball handler but not nearly the athlete Golder is. Robinson actually played a significant amount of PG at St.Joe and is billed a SF. He really came into his own his sophomore year and started to put things together. You could play Robinson with a ton of different roster combos because he can defend 1-4 and even handle the ball.

Sweet! Can't wait to see him in action next year!

justducky

Quote from: justducky on January 13, 2019, 10:10:21 PMMiddleton was a bigger recruiting error than Hazen or Linssen.

Middleton never appeared in a game and I believe he tied up a scholarship for not 2 but 3 semesters. On top of that he ends up playing at a non D-1 school where he comes off the bench! WOW  :o

Quote from: VU2014 on January 13, 2019, 11:02:21 PMI think they're different types of players. Robinson is a much better ball handler but not nearly the athlete Golder is. Robinson actually played a significant amount of PG at St.Joe and is billed a SF. He really came into his own his sophomore year and started to put things together. You could play Robinson with a ton of different roster combos because he can defend 1-4 and even handle the ball.

I have no idea who will start in 19-20 because it could change from game to game. That said I can already picture VU having one of the top starting fives in the Valley-----coming off our bench to rest the BEST! Even during the 15-16 season we were not able to say that.

The versatility and depth for 19-20 should be power 5 level with only the point and power forward having some question. Meanwhile we have to get ready for this March in St Louis!