• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on January 11, 2020, 01:57:28 PM
Wow, Baylor just won AT Kansas!  Scott definitely has a top 5 team this season.

Jayhawks, let's think of some excuses......................

1. Students weren't on campus......doesn't matter (other KU fans will take those seats)
2. Snow on the ground...............some but doesn't matter KU fans go anyway.
3. Too many other activities going on in Lawrence that keep the fans busy.................doesn't matter (other KU fans will take those seats)
4. Student apathy.........................Oh, come on, no way!
5. KU Fans can watch the game at home..................doesn't matter (other KU fans will take those seats)
6. Tickets are too expensive....................................doesn't matter (KU fans will pay almost anything)
Truth (even truth that our president can't deny, okay he'll deny almost any truth but not this particular one) Winning ways will not kill crowds.  12-2 going into this game, lost to Duke by 2 & Villanova by 1 before this 3rd loss to Baylor by 12 at HOME.

Yes, I'd say that was a pretty good win for Scott Drew & Baylor!!!!!

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpotx on January 11, 2020, 01:57:28 PM
Wow, Baylor just won AT Kansas!  Scott definitely has a top 5 team this season.

Huge win.  Baylor climbs to #1 in the NCAA NET rankings ( https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings ) and are #3 at Ken Pom.  It will be interesting to see where they land in the AP and Coaches Polls today.  They definitely have a strong argument to be ranked #1.

4throwfan

I think that the job that Scott is doing is awesome.  Not too many coaches can have teams be consistently successful, as are the Baylor Bears.

However, I think that his really great accomplishments took place right after he took over at Baylor.  Under crushing sanctions, they went from ashes to a solid team in a very short amount of time.  Some big name coaches could likely walk in and do that, based on their abilities and name recognition bringing in solid talent.  But Scott was a one-year head coach from a mid-major with very little name recognition.  I think that the turnaround was amazing, and is being forgotten about as time goes on.

PlumStreetBum

For those of you who are subscribers, there's a great piece in The Athletic about the incredible, maybe unprecedented turnaround that Scott Drew has led at Baylor. Remarkable how strong moral character and hard work can drive something like this, a good lesson for us all.

VUGrad1314

Nice to see Martin Linssen doing well for UNCW. Loved his heart and hustle whenever he got a chance to play and I wish we could have watched him develop. I think there's a chance he could have ended up being pretty good.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1216864179241521152

valpotx

Baylor has a lot of wealthy donors, but it is still amazing what Scott Drew has done for that program over the last 18 years.  Baylor was always an afterthought in Men's Basketball, but had previous success in Women's Basketball.  Recruiting folks to Wacko can't be easy (forever known as such due to David Koresh). 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

BTW, UNCW fired their coach yesterday....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpo64

In recent years I have heard that S. Drew is not well liked by his conference peers who have often criticized his ethics in recruiting, etc. I wish I could remember the source but I heard or read that more than once.  I must say I was surprised when I heard it.

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpo64 on January 14, 2020, 03:15:21 PMIn recent years I have heard that S. Drew is not well liked by his conference peers who have often criticized his ethics in recruiting, etc. I wish I could remember the source but I heard or read that more than once.  I must say I was surprised when I heard it.

This is true. I think Scott had to sit out coaching for a game or two for recruiting violations early in his career. I remember reading about it but don't recall the source. Other coaches were not happy with what he did.

VUGrad1314

Is that where Dan Dakich got his vendetta against the Drews from?

valpotx

Scott's been dogged by those accusations for the entirety of his time at Baylor.  They were and maybe still are known to produce negative documents about competing institutions in the Big 12 or elsewhere, that they send to recruits.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Does anyone really care what Dan D says or believes?

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on January 14, 2020, 03:15:21 PM
In recent years I have heard that S. Drew is not well liked by his conference peers who have often criticized his ethics in recruiting, etc. I wish I could remember the source but I heard or read that more than once.  I must say I was surprised when I heard it.

Bobby Knight, ex-UT Austin head coach Rick Barnes, guys that no longer coach in the Big 12, etc. have made comments about Scott's recruiting ethics.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on January 15, 2020, 06:18:13 PM

Dan Dakich can go f*ck himself and all his Zionsville buddies for all I care. He is a useless piece of former Region trash.

zvillehaze

Quote from: bbtds on January 18, 2020, 08:21:02 AM

Dan Dakich can go f*ck himself and all his Zionsville buddies for all I care. He is a useless piece of former Region trash.

Does that include me?   ???

FWIW, Dan moved a few years ago.

bbtds

Quote from: zvillehaze on January 18, 2020, 04:10:56 PM
Quote from: bbtds on January 18, 2020, 08:21:02 AM

Does that include me?   ???

FWIW, Dan moved a few years ago.

If you consider yourself a buddy of Dan D. then yes. When I refer to Dakich's Zionsville buddies I think of many of the Indy professional athletes that live there. Dan doesn't necessarily have to live in Zionsville to have Zville buddies.

NativeCheesehead

Keep in mind everything Scott got in trouble for (too many texts, calls, etc) is now perfectly within current NCAA rules.

Let's not equate that with some of the very questionable stuff Bill Self has been accused of at Kansas.

Scott is no angel but when his name comes up in grand jury transcripts or have been accused of helping to cover up sexual assault like Self then we can have this conversation.

valpotx

Stalin Ortiz still starring for his native Colombia.  Nice to see a few folks still playing from my days on campus :):

https://www.facebook.com/maderasaborigenes.stalin/videos/10158198259426095/
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Wow, that is really sad. I knew him in college and he was very cordial.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 21, 2020, 08:40:22 PM
Wow, that is really sad. I knew him in college and he was very cordial.

He reminded me of John Kiser in his playing days. He hustled and gave more effort than anyone in the game. His athletic talent grew during his years playing basketball at Valpo. I always have had a high opinion of Craig Maass. OTOH the details of his arrest and also anticipating getting out of the Oakland County Correctional Center and thinking he could jump on a plane and go to the Super Bowl seems incredibly callous.

valpotx

I can pick out everyone, except can't tell if that is Shawn Huff with hair?  Good to see Haanpaa and Fumey, even though neither graduated from Valpo.  Even the folks that left us in the past, appear to still have a decent memory of Valpo.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Long Time trainer Rod Moore has gone missing. Please contact the porter county sheriffs office know if you have seen him.

https://twitter.com/valpo_hoops/status/1278353684527800323?s=21

Information: https://www.facebook.com/311741869471/posts/10157711072474472/?d=n